What's new

French Press users.is it really worth it?

I use a FP with only fresh roasted coffee from a local small batch roaster. I only drink one 18oz cup in the morning and it's much more convenient with the FP than a drip machine.

One thing I don't believe has been mentioned yet is the ability to control the water temp and the brew time. To me this makes as big of a difference as the coffee used and the grind.

I think you should consider the suggestions for several changes. Most importantly, buy whole roasted beans and grind them when you make a pot. There is as much information as you could possibly want at:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

They have youTube videos to demonstrate almost everything. Their roasted beans are wonderful. There is a full explanation on how to use a FP. It's very important to stir the coffee beans at the start and mid-way through to keep it saturated and not floating on the top. I have about 5 different ways to make coffee, and like the FP the best. I decant it to a big thermos to keep it warm and to keep the air away from it (and the grounds).

+1 on the http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php suggestion. Only problem there is, based on the rather obsessive nature of this very forum, you're going to start roasting your own beans!

Without going into too much detail, your French Press coffee isn't going to be worth it if you keep using Choc'Full. If pre-ground tin coffee is what you like, that's awesome. But you won't improve anything by changing away from regular old drip. In all honesty, you will probably just end up enhancing all the flaws inherent in such coffee.

However, if you are looking to actually improve the quality of your coffee and are willing to start down the road toward using fresh coffee, griding "to-order", and ditching the "machines" (as in using a FP or a pour-over), then bravo. You will be rewarded with infinitely better coffee. Right now, you're eating canned tuna ... bordering on canned cat food. Soon, you'll be eating Japanese hamachi sashimi!

Go for it.

I'm a fan of the French press. It's very easy to use and takes zero counter space. Personally, I enjoy the taste of FP over pour over. If you are just wanting to try it out, resale shops usually have them pretty cheap. I will say a lot has to do with the beans though.

i love my FP, and ditto most of the supporters of this method here...

I just started drinking my coffee black after years of half and half only...the only way i think i could ever get to black coffee would be with the FP..so smooth and full of flavor..

my 5am sroutine..

water on to boil..
weigh off the beans 9g/4oz=27g for my 12oz (small bodum)
beans in the grinder (no grinding yet)
boiling water in the press pot (empty)
grind beans
pour press pot hot water into waiting mug
grinds in the press pot...
water now "just off the boil" perfect temp
slowly pour over beans to agitate and gentle stir with a chopstick
fill all the way to the top and cover with a saucer
3min..
scoop out as many grinds carefully to waiting saucer
add plunger now, then press
pour out mug water
pour coffee into waiting warm mug...

saw this on youtube, and think it works well
enjoy!

remember, never clean out grinds with something metal, you will be sure to crack the carafe!

always wanted to try one of those italian stovetop espresso jobs, how do the work?? what grind do you use andwhats the bean weight/water ratio??

My fiance bought me one for my birthday last year and I've used it nearly every day since then. It was a cheap $20 one from Starbucks and it works just fine. I get my coffee ground a bit more course so I can avoid any powder that may slip past the screen and into my cup. I think the taste is superior to a drip coffee maker.

You could totally bypass the whole coffee maker concept and use a saucepan....just boil water, add grounds that are turkish style (most grocery store coffee grinders have a turkish setting) take off heat, put back on heat until it just starts to boil, take off heat, and serve. 1 heaping tablespoon of grounds per cup of water. Makes some serious coffee, and it needs to be swirled as you drink it or the bottom of the cup turns to mud. Great coffee with an arabic roast.

This is what I've been doing for years as well, except I don't let it boil after adding grounds. I turn the temp down to low, cover, and let it simmer. As with french press, 4-5min is sufficient, but the magic is in letting it sit for 15-20min min on low heat. You get a more concentrated but mellow (not bitter) extraction.

For the OP - if you are happy with drip, there's no real reason to change it. Your biggest improvement will be with quality beans ground freshly at home. I'd suggest to first try several varieties from different sources. Even a cheap whirly blade grinder will work fine initially. French press has its pros and cons - while it does provide better flavor (as long as you use good beans roasted freshly), the water gets cold. And, the glass pot kept breaking. Going to a stainless steel saucepan solved that problem.

French Press and an electric water kettle. I get better coffee faster using the FP and the water kettle. Filtered water from the fridge and I use a burr grinder on the beans just before brewing. 2 minutes to boil water and 4 minutes for the coffee to steep. After pressing pour into a thermos to keep hot for the day.

French Press and an electric water kettle. I get better coffee faster using the FP and the water kettle. Filtered water from the fridge and I use a burr grinder on the beans just before brewing. 2 minutes to boil water and 4 minutes for the coffee to steep. After pressing pour into a thermos to keep hot for the day.

I grind while my fp is warming and the water comes down to 190 from the boil...see above

No doubt a electric kettle is the way to go, mine just shorted out and I am back temporarily to a stove top kettle....taking more than twice as long to get coffee...

but I just got a moka pot, and prelim results are highly favorable! And a time saver too! Easier cleanup.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
nice guide with photos Jasonian. every time i read this thread i REALLY REALLY WANT A CUP OF COFFEE!! gonna have to get a french press and reference this thread for tips

Hard to beat it. Keep in mind a French press disadvantage is it's a one off. Meaning at most you'll be doing only several cups and it'll cool down considerably depending on how fast you drink your first cup and get the second. For a private party of three or four it's fine, but anymore than that it's the old electric. You'll love it. Enjoy.

I have broken a couple of FP's. Can anyone recommend a good stainless steel one? All the ones that I have found online have very bad reviews.

Frieling(my first pick) makes a great one that's less expensive than Bodum's stainless insulated version.

On a budget, Ikea makes one that's $30USD.

I think one must understand that in order to get a fantasic cup of coffee you need fresh coffee, roasted no more than 2 weeks prior to brewing, it should be ground within 1-2 minutes of brewing. For the most part you can get a great cup of coffee using brew method. I am a coffee enthusiast, and I have been brewing coffee with a variety of the past 5 years. I also roast my own beans. I think Brewing a good cup of coffee with a french press is one of the hardest ways to get a good cup of coffee, but when done right the results are truly spectacular. I think have good brew ratios of water to coffee is very import grind size course but not overly course, and using a little pressure as humanly possible when plunging. Also decent the brew into another vessel don't let it sit in the beaker.

I was using the french press method for many years with great results but after using the aeropress with the metal filter (able disc) i never looked buck ...

The problem with a french press is cleaning it out. I recommend the REI french press. It's insulated works well, gets great reviews and REI has a great return policy.

Top Bottom