What's new

French Press or Pour Over?

I'm also a French press man. I prefer the body that comes from a French press, and I also enjoy the slurry.

It is fussier on the grind, but that's something you get set right and then never deal with again.

I agree 100%. I have been alternating between french press and a moka pot and I prefer the french press. I have the grinder permanently set to the grind that I like which took a bit to figure out but haven't had to change it for about a year. I also like the mouth feel that the smaller grounds gives to french press. And I don't find clean to be too onerous. Dump the grinds and rinse out the carafe and plunger and you're done. The moka pot coffee tends to taste too burnt for me. I start with cold water and put it over medium heat on a gas burner. As soon as I notice it start to gurgle I turn the heat down to almost nothing. Still tastes burnt. I might try and just take it off the stove altogether once it starts gurgling and see if that makes a difference. But if the choice is pour over or french press, I'm going with french press.

Here’s my initial find.
F6F71E9A-7543-41A8-89D1-C9E824EB24FC.jpeg

I’ll eventually get a Chemex or something for a pour over once I figure out the gooseneck kettle conundrum. A gooseneck kettle may not be an absolute requirement, but seems like it would be a highly useful accessory for pour over.

Looking forward to giving this a run in the morning!

Here’s my initial find.
View attachment 882606

I’ll eventually get a Chemex or something for a pour over once I figure out the gooseneck kettle conundrum. A gooseneck kettle may not be an absolute requirement, but seems like it would be a highly useful accessory for pour over.

Looking forward to giving this a run in the morning!

Good luck and enjoy your java tomorrow. Is the carafe glass? If so, just be a little more careful than you normally would. I also have a glass carafe and have broken mine once. So I bought two more so I'd have an extra. But now I'm more careful. Some have suggested a stainless steel but I think the metal would do something to the taste of the coffee and I like to see the coffee that's in there. I drink my coffee in one sitting so its not like I need insulation or anything. So I much prefer glass. But do be careful with it. And enjoy.

Looks good!

For pour over i've been using electric kettles since the '70's and they heat and pour really well. Haven't invested in a gooseneck just yet but they do use them for pourovers at my local cafe/roaster, part of the show/presentation.

dave

Good luck and enjoy your java tomorrow. Is the carafe glass? If so, just be a little more careful than you normally would. I also have a glass carafe and have broken mine once. So I bought two more so I'd have an extra. But now I'm more careful. Some have suggested a stainless steel but I think the metal would do something to the taste of the coffee and I like to see the coffee that's in there. I drink my coffee in one sitting so its not like I need insulation or anything. So I much prefer glass. But do be careful with it. And enjoy.
I actually bought a wooden spoon for stirring to protect the glass per the instructions, and a bottle brush for cleaning. And yes, first cleaning was over a plastic wash tub!

For me the stainless steel was a deal killer, it very much affected the taste.

dave

Looks good!

For pour over i've been using electric kettles since the '70's and they heat and pour really well. Haven't invested in a gooseneck just yet but they do use them for pourovers at my local cafe/roaster, part of the show/presentation.

dave
When I did pour over into my thermos, it was a plain tea kettle.
I may be buying in to an overhyped necessity in looking for a gooseneck, but it does seem like it would be a useful tool.

Last edited:
You can get used to any kettle.

Gooseneck is easier to use but any kettle can pour a small steady stream.

I use what I have.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom