What's new

French Press or Pour Over?

Which do you prefer?

Looking to up my coffee game at least a little.

I did pour overs for years, but that was years ago. I had a nifty cone unit that sat right on top of my thermos.
Little experience with French Press. I had one, but used it little. To many grounds due to wrong size grind. I have a cheap burr grinder that could possibly take care of that issue.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Mark

Both are good, key is the right size grind.

Used to use or over now using the press daily.

Might switch back to a poor over since I still have like 200 filters.

If I had to choose is go with the press.

-Stephen

I have a manual Bonavita Wide Base Porcelain Immersion Dripper which holds the water and coffee for the brewing time. Open the lever at the bottom and release it into the cup.
However, the lever wore out and, while waiting for new parts, I used my GSI Outdoors Commuter Coffee Press which is a combination french press and mug.

While the GSI worked making good coffee and easy to clean, I never quite got the mix of water and coffee consistent so there was a lot a variation in flavor and amount of coffee.

The Bonavita is easier to be consistent with and I'm glad it's back in service.
I used a Melitta for years but the quick trip through it always seemed to waste a lot of coffee.
I prefer pour over with the Bonavita.

I like some coffee made in a drip/pour-over (filtered). Some in a press. Some in a vacuum pot. Some in a moka pot. Some in an espresso machine.

I let the coffee tell me how it likes to be brewed.

This morning I had some light roasted (city) La Minita brewed in an auto drip (commercial Bunn). Then I made myself a single Vietnamese in a small Dama (Bialetti) moka pot.

proxy.php

I tried a French Press and although the coffee did taste good it was too messy to clean up. I decided it was not worth the extra work. But I did see one the other day that OXO sells, the whole bottom lifts out for easy cleaning. Seemed like a good idea. Here is a picture of the OXO with the "grounds-lifter". This could be a game changer.
I recently tried a pour over. I like the whole idea much better.

OXO.jpg
OXO_.jpg

Last edited:
Used a Melitta cone filter exclusively starting in the 70's up until maybe five years ago then bought an Aeropress to try and unless i need coffee for a group the Aeropress has been the daily go to for my coffee.

Bought a stainless steel French press last year but i seem to be hypersensitive steel, can't stand, won't drink out of a SS water bottle or thermos. Found the coffee made using the SS French press was dominated by a metallic taste which was a no go.

Will eventually get a glass press as grinding the beans, the brewing process and clean up is a none issue and i have had very good French press coffee, the reason i bought the stainless steel version in the first place.

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I used a French Press years ago but got tired of the fussy grind size and clean up. I went pour-over about 4 years ago and never looked back. I use a Hario V60 and love it. I use it with 'normal' Melitta #4 filters that I crease so they fit the Hario. Much less expensive than the dedicated Hario filters.

Tried the Aeropress too, but it just sits in the cabinet gathering dust. Not sure why, I just prefer the Hario/pour-over...

If French press: Then Espro
If Pour over: Melitta Ceramic

For sheer ease of use: Pour Over.
Better depth of coffee: French Press.
Both have their place and time! (sorry mate!)
Both benefit from an effective grinder.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Pour over is the best way according to consumers report who had professional coffee taste testers blind folded and they usally choose the pour over method. Pour into cone and make sure you stir the contents a little and that is about as good as it gets IMO. Water temperature 185-195 degrees F to get the full richness of coffee oils not any hotter they claim.

Neither for me. I use a stove-top percolating coffee maker in the morning, then a stove-top Italian aluminum espresso maker mid-afternoon.

Last edited:
I would recommend both since the devices are not a big expense. And you may enjoy the variety, just as you probably do not cook your breakfast eggs the same way every time.

I would try out both.
Personally I enjoy the French Press, I use a medium grind, as when I tried a coarse grind I found the flavour a bit "thin". I like the little bit of slurry the French Press leaves behind in my cup.

Try them with different types of coffee's and see what you like.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm also a French press man. I prefer the body that comes from a French press, and I also enjoy the slurry.

It is fussier on the grind, but that's something you get set right and then never deal with again.

The Badger and Blade way. Get both!

At this point that’s what’s likely to happen. Possibly a Chemex and an Espro.

I prefer Aeropress for it's consistency, but these days I'm drinking much larger quantities of coffee (stay at home Dad) so that doesn't really work. I've never got the hang of pour overs, they end up bland and unpredictable for me.

Once you figure out the grind and timing, nothing like a French Press for knocking out a solid 4 or 5 really good cups of coffee exactly the way you like it!

Top Bottom