What's new

French Press 101

Recently an old friend came over and used his French Press to make coffee and I was amazed at the difference. I have been making "regular Mr. Coffee" for a long time.
Today at a yard sale I found a once used Borum(Starbucks) French Press for the sum of $2:w00t:.
Next week he is bringing me an extra grinder he has. Until then I intend to experiment with the ground coffee on hand(Wal-Mart Sumatra blend) and enjoy a good cup of coffee.
Like wet shaving this will become part of my morning routine.
Life is too short for a bad shave or poor coffee.:001_smile

Wonderful OP! Time to finally put the press to work!

Well I finally got around to it. I don't have a grinder so I got some "Yukon" coffee beans from Sbux and had them grind it up for me #7, which is coarse. 8 tablespoons for 6 cups of coffee, 4 minutes to steep and WOW. It was absolutely delicious! Thanks again to the OP!

I don't think I ever said thanks for this tutorial, but Thanks!

I read it a while ago and it vastly improved my "fly by the pants" method of pressing. Recently, I realized it wasn't turning out as well. I checked back, and found that, somewhere along the way, I changed a few things with negative effects. So, I guess its time to get back to basics.

For those of you who like to camp I recommend the Jetboil stove with the french press add on. You have to bring pre-ground coffee, especially if you are back-packing, but it still makes for a great cup of coffee...Especially during the winters in Alaska.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For those of you who like to camp I recommend the Jetboil stove with the french press add on. You have to bring pre-ground coffee, especially if you are back-packing, but it still makes for a great cup of coffee...Especially during the winters in Alaska.

Backpacking? Alaska? I would think that you would roast the raw beans over a fire of dried caribou poop, then grind them between two rocks before brewing in a bear skull and filtering through lichens and moss. See? No modern conveniences needed, other than pre-grown and already picked coffee beans.

Great thread, glad it is a sticky.

Question: Which is preferable? Grinding 3 weeks worth of beans at the little kiosks in a grocery store (with their nice grinder) and storing them at my house for use every morning, or buying 3 weeks worth of whole beans from the same grocery store and grinding them fresh every morning with a really crappy blade grinder? In other words, which is more important: having a high quality grind or having extremely freshly ground beans?

Obviously grinding is a huge part of the process and there are a lot of variables involved, but assuming you guys were in this hypothetical scenario (which may or may not be hypothetical for me:whistling:) what would you choose?

Question: Which is preferable? Grinding 3 weeks worth of beans at the little kiosks in a grocery store (with their nice grinder) and storing them at my house for use every morning, or buying 3 weeks worth of whole beans from the same grocery store and grinding them fresh every morning with a really crappy blade grinder? In other words, which is more important: having a high quality grind or having extremely freshly ground beans?
Interesting hypothetical question as there's some downside either way. It somewhat depends on your taste preferences and you might want to experiment both ways just to see the difference for yourself. But I would stick with using fresh ground and brew a little extra amount each time to sacrifice to the bottom of the pot and bottom of your cup. To help keep a cleaner cup. You might have some extraction issues, hard for me to talk about that, but I would experiment with fresh ground beans to find something that works.

I always tell people to buy whole beans, and grind just before using. No grinder? No problem. It's better to grind them in a freezer bag with the heal of your boot than to use pre-ground coffee. The difference is that significant. Good luck!

I always tell people to buy whole beans, and grind just before using. No grinder? No problem. It's better to grind them in a freezer bag with the heal of your boot than to use pre-ground coffee. The difference is that significant. Good luck!

Yeah, but you Texans seem to forget we don't all wear boots...

Yeah, but you Texans seem to forget we don't all wear boots...

It's a figure of speech. I don't own a single pair of boots. Improvise. Play golf? baseball? hockey? Own a hammer? a wrench? A car? When you see every problem as a whole bean waiting to be brewed, every tool looks like a grinder.

It's a figure of speech. I don't own a single pair of boots. Improvise. Play golf? baseball? hockey? Own a hammer? a wrench? A car? When you see every problem as a whole bean waiting to be brewed, every tool looks like a grinder.

My previous post will be funnier after lunch! :lol:

I agree, though - we hall have a tool made for smashing (or at least suitable).

There shouldn't be much harm in grinding a few days worth at a time should there? I am eagarly awaiting my new grinder so I don't have much experience. I wake up a half hour earlier than my lady and would hate to wake her up every morning.

Top Bottom