What's new

French Press 101

Best coffee ever. My wife is out of town, this morning, so I made French press coffee instead of her usual huge pot of drip coffee. I used the same amount of fresh ground coffee for my 4-cup Bodum as she uses for 10 to 12 cups of hers. The beans were 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian.

I pre-heated the Bodum and a Nissan thermos with hot water. Microwaved the brew water and let it come a little back off boil. Stirred the water into the grounds. Brewed for a timed 3 minutes. Decanted the fresh coffee into the thermos.

Ummmmmm.....

Tim

You can get a butt grinder at most home stores (target, Sears, wally mart) for $20 - $30. The size you grind changes the taste as much as the quantity and quality of your beans and water. Get the beans that you like, grind them fresh, and use water that tastes good.

I start with more water than I need in a kettle. You can microwave it in a glass cup if you don't have one, or just boil it in a pot. I grind 1/3 cup of whole beans for my 16oz travel mug. (regardless of the brew method) I grind the beans as fine as my grinder will go. Yes some grounds pass the mesh filter, I enjoy them in the last drink. I dump the grounds into the beaker and add 2 cups of off the boil water. Push in the top to submerge the grounds and I just swirl the whole thing to mix. I brew 4 min. I add my cream and sugar to the cup while the coffee brewes. Push down the plunger, and pour into my cup. Some of the coffee will stay in the press, I top off my cup with water. I also use filtered water since it tastes like crap from the tap.

I recommend starting out with what you think is way too much grounds, ground medium to large. Add water if its to strong and use a little less grounds the next time. When you find the right mix, then start playing with the grind size. As the grind size changes so will the amount of grounds you use.
Enjoy.

Anybody hear ever do a cold water method in the summer?? In the summer I grind the amount of coffee I need, pour it in my french press, pour good cold water in, cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and leave it in the fridge overnight. Plunge in the morning, and have low acid iced coffee in the morning.

Anybody hear ever do a cold water method in the summer?? In the summer I grind the amount of coffee I need, pour it in my french press, pour good cold water in, cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and leave it in the fridge overnight. Plunge in the morning, and have low acid iced coffee in the morning.

That reminds me of the Toddy coffee method. Is that still around? I haven't seen it since the 80's.

Tim

Got a quick question, what's Tea like made in a French Press? I've been wanting to try different teas now (not the bag kind anyway), and I've noticed a Tea shop here in Sydney called T2 that sells loose tea leaves, and the only thing i've got is a French press to brew them in, though I do need a smaller one this is a 4 cup bodium press, good too big.

anyway, does the press help flavour in tea and is it the same process? let leaves seep for a few minutes stir and plunge?

This thread has inspired me to get the French Press out of the cupboard. I have a 3-cup Bodum that I bought a few years ago, but I've been using a 12-cup Mr. Coffee...out of laziness mostly. It's just me in my house, so that's enough coffee for the first cup of the day. I usually don't drink coffee in the summer, but I think I will brew some "the better way" tomorrow morning. I only have Maxwell House though...I'll have to buy some whole bean stuff tomorrow.

M

mrs charismata

French Press coffee is a weekend tradition in the Charismata household. We have it every Saturday and Sunday morning, even our six year old gets a cup of foamed milk with raw cane sugar and about a tablespoon of great coffee (I know, some people may frown on this, but were talking a really small amount). In my opinion, the french press is the only way to go when making coffee at home, the only thing better is espresso. We have an 8 cup Bodum Chambord that makes enough for the four of us, and is so easy to use. :thumbup:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not enough "edge"? give it another half-minute to brew. Too bitter? Shorten the brew time. Too weak/strong, obviously adjust the amount of coffee. Not aromatic enough... possibly your beans are too old. Too much sediment? grind more coarsely, and probably you will increase the amount slightly. NO sediment? Try a finer grind, and maybe slightly less coffee. Adjust, adjust, adjust. Record your measurements and times so you have a starting place for the next adjustment/experiment. You will eventually get the coffee that is perfect for your taste, not just the coffee that is acceptable to the majority of coffee drinkers.

Below is my method for making coffee in a French Press.

The tools:
French Press
Fresh coffee
Grinder
Timer
Long spoon for stirring. I prefer to use a bamboo stir stick.
Tea kettle.

Total brewing time will be four minutes.
proxy.php

Here is a simple way of measuring the coffee needed for your press.
Use two level tablespoons of ground coffee per 5-6 oz. of water used. If you are measuring whole beans (before grinding) use two heaping tablespoons per 5-6oz. of water.

Now it's time for the grind. I grind my coffee a couple of notches up (more coarse) from the cone filter setting.

proxy.php

Now I pre-wet the coffee by pouring water over the grounds until just covered, and start my timer. The water should be between 195-200f or about thirty seconds off boil.
At this time I also fill my coffee cup(s) 1/2 way with hot water so that it will nice and warm when I pour the coffee into it later.

proxy.php

At this point (if you have used freshly roasted coffee) the coffee will have expanded greatly.
Stir it well.

proxy.php

Now I fill the carafe about half full and stir.

proxy.php

Now I have filled the carafe to the top of the upper metal band and given it a final stir. Now I let it steep.

proxy.php

Now I use the last thirty seconds to SLOWLY plunge the coffee.

proxy.php

Now pour and enjoy!

proxy.php

can I just drink the "crema" please? lol.....looks amazing....I haven't had plunger coffee since New Zealand.....

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Best coffee ever. My wife is out of town, this morning, so I made French press coffee instead of her usual huge pot of drip coffee. I used the same amount of fresh ground coffee for my 4-cup Bodum as she uses for 10 to 12 cups of hers. The beans were 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian.

I pre-heated the Bodum and a Nissan thermos with hot water. Microwaved the brew water and let it come a little back off boil. Stirred the water into the grounds. Brewed for a timed 3 minutes. Decanted the fresh coffee into the thermos.

Ummmmmm.....

Tim

Great method, and the 8:00 columbian is my absolute favorite coffee, and desn't cost an arm and a leg, either.

Normally a green tea drinker. But home for a couple of weeks visiting my parents. This is my dad's coffee set up: 'Cafe Fair' - Guatemalen fair trade in a Bialetti pot with vanilla flavored almond milk mixed in! If I could get this in Laos I'd be a coffee convert. Holy caffeine and great taste! Will post a picture of this stuff as soon as i figure my father's camera...

I was sceptical as to what difference this would actually make until I tried it myself-the noticable distance is amazing, I never knew how much of the flavour I was missing out on - thankyou for your sage advice!

Top Bottom