What's new

French cuffs making a comeback?

I love french cuff shirts, but unfortunately being a recent university grad without the career to match the degree yet, I don't get to wear them often, mainly events such as weddings.

Also I enjoy wearing shirts with a bit of colour to them and had some trouble finding french cuff shirts in colour. I found many places which sold them in white, some in black and thats about it. I found an excellent lavender coloured shirt with french cuff that I wore to my cousin's wedding, but could not find one in green for another wedding I attended this summer, and even had to specially order the lavender one.

Looks like that once I start to build my wardrobe I may have to consider custom shirt makers.

Tailored shirts :thumbup1: You are right about the colours though, I've rarely found a shirt with colour that is not understated in a very British way. That doesn't make them ugly though. :001_smile

I love french cuff shirts, but unfortunately being a recent university grad without the career to match the degree yet, I don't get to wear them often, mainly events such as weddings.

Also I enjoy wearing shirts with a bit of colour to them and had some trouble finding french cuff shirts in colour. I found many places which sold them in white, some in black and thats about it. I found an excellent lavender coloured shirt with french cuff that I wore to my cousin's wedding, but could not find one in green for another wedding I attended this summer, and even had to specially order the lavender one.

Looks like that once I start to build my wardrobe I may have to consider custom shirt makers.

Yes, if you like wide variety of colors and stripes, you likely need to have them made. French cuff shirts are not big sellers. At the high end stores like Nieman Marcus, they sell quite a few, but the color/pattern range is a bit limited.

The best part about french cuffs.. buying links!
proxy.php

proxy.php

The best part about french cuffs.. buying links!
proxy.php
That pair on the far right with the pearl-like face are awesome. I don't know what it is, but I love that pearl look.

French cuffs and the spread collar are the way to go. Then collecting either new or vintage links is always fun.

Here are two pair of initial cufflinks.
The second pair also has a tie-tac.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Edit-
Found a pic of a third mixed pair.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I hope so...I love mine and wear them often :thumbup:. I get mine from Brooks Brothers, mostly...good quality that lasts.

Cheers,
Robert

Brooks Brothers French cuff shirts last forever and are worth the price. I have even found new or almost new ones in charity shops in the better neighborhoods. I've collected and inherited several cuff links and always wear them to board meeting and on nights out with the wife.

I even have my "lucky pair" of cuff links that have never let me down on job interviews, in the courtroom, or anywhere I need to psych myself up.

Last edited:
I have been wearing French cuffs, with or without tie for the last 15 years. Nice cuff links versus plastic buttons? No contest.

strop

Now half as wise
Antique stores are a great source for cufflinks. I have multiple sets that were $5 or less!

In order to make a comeback, they would have had to have left. I don't think they ever left.

I'd have to agree with that. The majority of my business shirts are french cuff and have been for almost 30 years. I've always seen plenty of other people in the corporate world wearing shirts with french cuffs. I've got probably 60-70 sets of cufflinks.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399599195.797602.jpg

Here's my better cuff links - the silver and green marble are my lucky pair and were a Father's Day gift to me. The mother of pearl set with the three studs for the shirt front were worn by my dad with his Fordham Glee Club tuxedo - even made an appearance on Ed Sullivan with them, and they were worn with the same tux in the film The Way We Were. There's stories for all of them. If only they could talk...

+1 for this. FC's are always in style and add a classy touch. My only reluctance with them is that most politicians wear them. Did ja' ever notice that?

In order to make a comeback, they would have had to have left. I don't think they ever left.

This is a great thread, really enjoyed picking through it!

Personally, I tend to only buy double/french cuffed shirts. The only exception would be if I came across a really nice shirt at a good price (last time was a white Ben Sherman in Oregon about 10 months ago, and I sometimes wear in the office).

I've had them made while travelling (Thailand, Vietnam, China and India), and I've also bought them both in store and online. (example being the Charles Tyrwhitt thread which was also in the haberdashery section).

Have to say I've found it tougher in the US to get the combination of color, french cut and fit in a brick and mortar store than I have in Europe. (I'm a bargain shopper, so I always take advantage of where I am to look in the stores).

I wear mine with a suit which is usually when I am travelling, but also more casually in the office when it's pants, shirt and no tie.

And I love cuff links, and they are something I like looking for in antique and charity stores. I've had more luck with these than with shaving items!

The 'better' neighbourhoods?

Better than mine - where people wear a 75 dollar shirt once or twice and donate it.

A lot of Goodwills and church shops sell what is locally donated. Go to the City of Refuge store in Porterdale, GA and you'll have your choice of NASCAR t shirts. Go to the Episcopal church's shop in Brookhaven and it might as well say Brooks Brothers Outlet outside.

Top Bottom