What's new

French cuffs making a comeback?

I wear french cuff shirts every day to the office. I have about 12 french cuff shirts, most tailored. They are a minor annoyance for me when I type on my computer and at my desk (right now) but for me the payoff of looking sharp is well worth it. I have more pairs of cufflinks than I do shirts so I can have a different combo every day of the year. If flashy cufflinks aren't your thing you can always wear silk knots. They still look custom, but really toned down.

Do you guys get your french cuffed shirts with spread collars or a more traditional collar?

I prefer spread collars since I typically use double windsor knots. I find that square and traditional point collars look lumpy and "overstuffed" with big knots.

Suit = double cuffs

French cuff shirts with a suit are stylish. Single cuff shirts set one apart from the heard.

proxy.php

I buy all my shirts from a UK company called Charles Tyrwhitt (www.ctshirts.co.uk). They are excellent quality and you can choose your sleeve length, a big plus for me.

I have also had one of their suits, really excellent.

They have a 90 day no quibble returns policy. (I don't work for them, just impressed with their stuff).

I buy all my shirts from a UK company called Charles Tyrwhitt (www.ctshirts.co.uk). They are excellent quality and you can choose your sleeve length, a big plus for me.

I have also had one of their suits, really excellent.

They have a 90 day no quibble returns policy. (I don't work for them, just impressed with their stuff).

While on the subject T.M.Lewin also makes excellent shirts. Another Jermyn street vendor. http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/ their French cuffed Prince of Wales collar shirts are my favourite ones. :thumbup:

I just can't do single-cuff French cuffs. Looks like you took a button-cuff shirt and made holes in it. George Costanza did that once on Seinfeld.

Haven’t a clue as to what an “Off the Rack” dress shirt cost, I can tell you having shirts made is not that expensive.

The tailor I go to charges;

$600 for 10 – pinpoint/100% 2 ply cotton shirts, collar/cuff of your choice and monogrammed pocket or cuff.
$800 for 10 – Egyptian/sea island shirts, collar/cuff of your choice and monogrammed pocket or cuff.
$1000 for 10 – Thomas Mason shirts, collar/cuff of your choice and monogrammed pocket or cuff..

In my opinion, $60 - $100 per shirt, tailor made to fit perfectly in every way is a deal.

Great tip...So these are the prices of "Anthony's Custom Shirts"? Are these guys in the SO Galleria?

That's not bad...I may have to give them a try

One of these weekends...I assume they're open on weekends?

Cheers,
Robert

Haven’t a clue as to what an “Off the Rack” dress shirt cost, I can tell you having shirts made is not that expensive.

The tailor I go to charges;

$600 for 10 – pinpoint/100% 2 ply cotton shirts, collar/cuff of your choice and monogrammed pocket or cuff.
$800 for 10 – Egyptian/sea island shirts, collar/cuff of your choice and monogrammed pocket or cuff.
$1000 for 10 – Thomas Mason shirts, collar/cuff of your choice and monogrammed pocket or cuff..

In my opinion, $60 - $100 per shirt, tailor made to fit perfectly in every way is a deal.

Great tip...So these are the prices of "Anthony's Custom Shirts"? Are these guys in the SO Galleria?Robert

These prices are for Michael's Custom Cloths, both are on Ventura blvd. Michael’s is a few blocks west of Woodman, Anthony’s is a couple block south of Woodman. I don't recall the pricing at Anthony’s, it really depends on the fabric you select, the up side, he makes the shirts right there in the shop. I believe the club collar/single cuff shirt was right around $150 at Anthony’s, the fabric is what pushed the price up.

I'm not sure of the hours at either.

Last edited:
I wear French cuffs with a suit or when it's black tie. Button cuffs I wear when donning a sport jacket. Perhaps I'm a bit "old school" since I also tie my ties (both long and bow) and braces with my trousers instead of a belt.

Though I have my shirts tailored in Hong Kong, may I suggest Al Kabaz for your shirts. He does great shirts.

http://www.customshirt1.com/

These english designers really know what they're doing. If I had 2 grand to spend on shirts and suits right now, I would. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I haven't worn cuff links in a while, but I loved how they looked. Admittedly, my style is somewhere between conservative and flashy, whimsical. My favorite last pair were:

proxy.php

I think some people here would easily expect me to buy these:

proxy.php

The one I wish I bought were the locket cuff links that were sold in thingsremembered.com. They opened up to reveal a photo, and were engraveable.

I've been wearing nothing but French cuffs with suits for 25 years and it does make you stand out. Even more important imo if you only occasionally wear a suit. If you're going to suit up, go all the way.

Recently I do see them quite often being pushed in some more casual shirt designs that I would not wear with a suit, but those are nice too.

They're pretty elegant and more men should consider them, especially with suits. Nice cufflinks really set them off, and you don't need to spend a fortune on them.

Some of the English shirt makers (Tyrwhitt/Harvie Hudson) sell some classic and traditional designs very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my curent employment (selling bird seed) isn't exactly condusive to french cuffs, I love them. Now those shirts only come out for the weddings, funerals and the occasional night on the town. I've had french cuff shirts my whole life and I intend to get burried in a shirt with them.

I intend to get burried in a shirt with them.

Make sure you only use cheap silk knots so you can pass the cool links on to your kids! I wore a pair of my great grandfathers solid gold and jade cuff-links to church today, with his gold Kruger-rand tie pin.

I love french cuff shirts, but unfortunately being a recent university grad without the career to match the degree yet, I don't get to wear them often, mainly events such as weddings.

Also I enjoy wearing shirts with a bit of colour to them and had some trouble finding french cuff shirts in colour. I found many places which sold them in white, some in black and thats about it. I found an excellent lavender coloured shirt with french cuff that I wore to my cousin's wedding, but could not find one in green for another wedding I attended this summer, and even had to specially order the lavender one.

Looks like that once I start to build my wardrobe I may have to consider custom shirt makers.

Top Bottom