What's new

French Apollo

My friend @Belfont received this beautiful Apollo (c.1910) on my behalf. I wonder if anyone has figured out a way to use one without the proprietary blade. I don't usually buy razors just to look at but I thought this was a beauty. Very little information to be had.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Good luck on that one. Like the Il de France razor, you need their blades. Notching the outside of a regular DE blade will give you two shavette blades.

Good luck on that one. Like the Il de France razor, you need their blades. Notching the outside of a regular DE blade will give you two shavette blades.
Have you tried? The notch doesn't look nearly as deep as the Ille de France. It looks closer in depth to the Gibbs though wider.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I know the Gibbs razor had tabs on the outside too, however they were at the ends of the area where a normal blade has their tabs. The Apollo appears to have the tabs at the end of the cutting edge, which would essentially cut the tabs off, unless the cutting area is wider than an normal blade. My Apollo is the safety bar one with the propeller base plate and those takes regular blades.

I know the Gibbs razor had tabs on the outside too, however they were at the ends of the area where a normal blade has their tabs. The Apollo appears to have the tabs at the end of the cutting edge, which would essentially cut the tabs off, unless the cutting area is wider than an normal blade. My Apollo is the safety bar one with the propeller base plate and those takes regular blades.
You have a German Apollo it sounds like.

I'll admit this looks a serious challenge but I've seen a few and made things work. May require bailing wire and duct tape. At least the duct tape.

Last edited:
Use a regular scissors and cut the ends off a regular blade. You may have to fiddle with the alignment, but that should work.

Hey! That's my IdF up there!
The French Apolloblades do not only have the notches, they also have a curved cuttingedge. They are blades with a smile so to speak. Using adapted ordinary DEblades or SE blades will therefore not give you the Aollo shave experience.

Get a heavy duty hole punch and notch the ends.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090JVDNK/ref=yo_ii_img?ie
I use this for Wardonia blades.

Cheers
John
I have a punch but it doesn't work for modern slotted blades , the notch extends too far toward the center, it simply cuts the blade in half. A three hole blade could be notched but it would be a lousy shave in comparison with a modern Injector.

Top Bottom