What's new

How many Freemasons do we have on B&B

good to know there is a following and that people are willing to talk about it, and or at least be open to talking about it.

I learned alot from just the 30 minute conversation I had with gentleman I talked too, I would be the first one in my family to ever join. Here's a scary thing though, the guy I talked too used to work for the company I currently work for now, and he still talks to all of my current co-workers, so that's a little odd to me, but you free mason's sure do seem to be everywhere and anywhere.

Remember:

1. We are not a religion. Here in Oklahoma the people who don't like us think we're a religion. I never argue with anyone about the Lodge but I will state what I can within the confines of our codes!!! Where they got that idea I'll never know.

2. We're a fraternity. A brotherly fraternity with a will to help our fellow man...scholarships, fund raisers, and donations from the Lodge to help people. Just because we have "certain" handshakes and passwords doesn't mean we are hiding anything!!! Anyone and I mean anyone who has joined a college frat, or other organization has privileges and rights to the people who belong.

3. You can move up within the Lodge/Degrees or "move up" in other segments in Freemasonry....the top being a Shriner.

4. My only suggestion is that when you join and participate over the years...become a "lifetime" or perpetual member. That way you are fully paid up in dues and don't have to worry about that.

My only complaint: Why the heck do people think we're out to take over the world and are the secret Illuminati??????????? *** Please be careful what you read on the internet about us...there's a lot of BS!!!

Pick a Lodge and Google it. The Lodge website will list factual information. You can even Google the Grand Lodge in your state and see what they have on their website. Here's the Oklahoma Grand Lodge website

Here in Oklahoma or I should say in my Lodge...the guys who have time to really be involved are retired and us "working" guys attend and participate when we can.

Hope this helps a little. Remember...go and visit different Lodges in your area. YOU pick a Lodge and join it...the one YOU want to join.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
good to know there is a following and that people are willing to talk about it, and or at least be open to talking about it.

I learned alot from just the 30 minute conversation I had with gentleman I talked too, I would be the first one in my family to ever join. Here's a scary thing though, the guy I talked too used to work for the company I currently work for now, and he still talks to all of my current co-workers, so that's a little odd to me, but you free mason's sure do seem to be everywhere and anywhere.
Remember it’s not a secret society but Society with secrets. In the UK its not widely talked about openly as the USA.
i can’t recite statistics but I think the craft has a bigger following in the UK than here. 100 years ago it was more prevalent here than nowadays.

All of the males in my family (except my dad) were "from the East", and the females were all Jobies and Eastern Star. I never got into it because I suck at memorization, and assumed I would never be able to remember all of the rituals I would be required to remember.

A couple of years ago, I told that to a friend who is a master mason, and his reply was "What? You don't have to memorize that stuff anymore!" I was shocked.

With all of the COVID isolation and social distancing, I would imagine now is not a good time to start, though! :D

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Men have their reason to (or not to) become a Freemason. For me it was when I was in my mid-twenties. I knew a few good men that were Freemasons and I wanted to socialize in their company.

I then asked and within a year I was accepted.

All of the males in my family (except my dad) were "from the East", and the females were all Jobies and Eastern Star. I never got into it because I suck at memorization, and assumed I would never be able to remember all of the rituals I would be required to remember.

A couple of years ago, I told that to a friend who is a master mason, and his reply was "What? You don't have to memorize that stuff anymore!" I was shocked.

With all of the COVID isolation and social distancing, I would imagine now is not a good time to start, though! :D
Yeah I

Yeah I passed the proficiency catechism on the 3rd in the early 80’s but they did away with all that memory work. I think they did that so as not to put men off in asking to join. I know many lodges here in the Chicago area have merged as it was becoming too expensive to stand alone with fewer and fewer brothers attending Lodge.

Once you get to looking at the membership lists, it's amazing on who were members. Washington, Franklin, both Roosevelts, Ford, Truman, Henry Ford, are several that come to mind. The Masonic Lodge placed the corner stone of the U.S. Capitol building. They do a lot of good in our country and don't seek recognition.
As for me, Arcola Lodge #366

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Currently the master of Powell Lodge n.2257, in the Province of Bristol under the jurisdiction of the United Grand Lodge of England. If they let someone like me in, you shouldn’t have any problems...

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. English freemasonry might be slightly different from the type in your area, but the guiding principles are the same.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... English freemasonry might be slightly different from the type in your area, but the guiding principles are the same.
My mother lodge was Allan 284H, UGL of Queendland, very much like the English system. It was quite an eye-opener when I visited my first US style lodge in Kyoto, Japan in the late 1970's.

My lodge now in the Philippines is mostly of the US style. Fortunately for me all work is conducted in (US, not real) English.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Remember it’s not a secret society but Society with secrets. In the UK its not widely talked about openly as the USA.
i can’t recite statistics but I think the craft has a bigger following in the UK than here. 100 years ago it was more prevalent here than nowadays.
We’re actively trying to make the Craft (as it’s referred to here) more accessible here, the age profile has been overwhelmingly senior until recent years. Bristol is actually the province with the youngest average age, and I think it was still above 55 (don’t quote me).

The old timers still tend to be secretive, at least more so than the younger ones, about their affiliation. Of course, some do join with the goal of proudly displaying their affiliation to the world with a holier than thou attitude, but thankfully they usually lose interest quite quickly.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Freemasonry is surging forward in the Philippines. My Datu Lapu-Lapu lodge has a backlog of more than 20 candidates waiting on their initiation - most in their late 20's early 30's. There are only a few of us old codgers in the lodge. Most members are under 55yo.

Freemasonry in Queensland is not doing as well with the average age rising, members dying and not a lot of new members coming through.

I think Freemasonry membership is rather cyclic in nature in the long term and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Currently the master of Powell Lodge n.2257, in the Province of Bristol under the jurisdiction of the United Grand Lodge of England. If they let someone like me in, you shouldn’t have any problems...

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. English freemasonry might be slightly different from the type in your area, but the guiding principles are the same.
I’ve visited lodges in Great Queen Street and provincial lodges as well and it really is quite different from here in the USA. As you stated guiding principles are the same though.

some interesting things here,

I've been talking to one of the guys from my local lodge and he has me on the list to come to a lodge dinner once this COVID stuff pushes and passes through.

We will see what happens from there, but as far as the history, yes many many many influential men in our nation have been members and or are currently members.

some interesting things here,

I've been talking to one of the guys from my local lodge and he has me on the list to come to a lodge dinner once this COVID stuff pushes and passes through.

We will see what happens from there, but as far as the history, yes many many many influential men in our nation have been members and or are currently members.
Not only USA but worldwide too. Mozart was a Mason and if you read up on his opera The Magic Flute there is some Masonic symbolism in the opera.

My Dad was a Past Master (at a lodge in Southern Maryland - near Pax River) and my mom was in Eastern Star. I thought you had to have a belief in a supreme diety?

-jim

My Dad was a Past Master (at a lodge in Southern Maryland - near Pax River) and my mom was in Eastern Star. I thought you had to have a belief in a supreme diety?

-jim

Dude... my family were all in the Hollywood lodge as well! (Eastern Star and Jobies as well) So assuming your family knew mine, depending on when they were in. My grandfather was pretty well known there. Sir name of Tucker, if you are familiar with them.

Small world!

Top Bottom