What's new

Free Website Hosting?

Forgive my naivete here, guys. I have been wanting to dork around with some html/web page design for my own amusement. Perhaps a few pages to keep pictures, play around, etc. Is there such thing as a free place to host such a site? The bandwidth would be tiny - I am just looking for a sandbox to play in. Any ideas or experience?

Scotto said:
Forgive my naivete here, guys. I have been wanting to dork around with some html/web page design for my own amusement. Perhaps a few pages to keep pictures, play around, etc. Is there such thing as a free place to host such a site? The bandwidth would be tiny - I am just looking for a sandbox to play in. Any ideas or experience?

I have to recommend something that isn't free, but for the amount of money you would invest, mind as well be called free. NearlyFreeSpeech.net is a great host that only charges for actual use ($1.00/GB & $0.01/MB for bandwidth and storage, respectively) and has some features which free hosts tend to lack. The only complaint I have with them is their limited e-mail options (no e-mail hosting, only forwarding). If you are just going to be playing around, you will probably only cost yourself a tube of Musgo Real per year. :wink:

- Justin

This is still a good question that deserves resurrection. Since the demise of Geocities, I'm not sure if there is a clear recommendation. If you have a Google account, you can use Google Sites for free web pages, but it's not nearly as flexible as Geocities was.

So a few years on now, can B&Bers recommend a decent site for free web hosting?

On a related note, if you had a Geocities site in the original days before Yahoo bought it, you had a city address. If you remember your city address, there is a good chance your page is archived at reocities.com. They aren't editable, but you can access and download your original work. See the original neighborhood listings.

If you have a web account with a cable/internet/phone provider like Verizon or Comcast, chances are you get some free web storage included with the deal. For something simple like putting a web page, this is really all you need if you're able to do your web site design locally. Just use some kind of HTML editor, use an FTP program to transfer the files to your personal storage directory and play with it there.

Personally, I use Googlesites for my main web sites and blogs. It isn't particularly flexible in terms of design and whiz bang options, but its ease of use and site management and analytical tools can't be beat. And it's free.

Jeff in Boston

This is still a good question that deserves resurrection. Since the demise of Geocities, I'm not sure if there is a clear recommendation. If you have a Google account, you can use Google Sites for free web pages, but it's not nearly as flexible as Geocities was.

So a few years on now, can B&Bers recommend a decent site for free web hosting?

On a related note, if you had a Geocities site in the original days before Yahoo bought it, you had a city address. If you remember your city address, there is a good chance your page is archived at reocities.com. They aren't editable, but you can access and download your original work. See the original neighborhood listings.

How many threads from 2006 are you planning on resurrecting?

Top Bottom