What's new

Free vintage Gillette razors!!

I just hope that our friend Malocchio pops by!! So Gents stay tuned, 3 of you can be the new owners of an amazing piece if history The Fatboy!! Best of luck to all!!! :a14:

Here is a photo I just took to show you the lot!! All the razors are in such great condition and mechanisms works just like new!!
- 4 Fatboys
- Aristocrat
- 47 super speed un-notched
20170403_212627.jpg

It's a shame you have to go back to buying carts after 5 years without, but if that's what works for you, you've got to do what's best for you. Now you'll be able to focus more on brushes and soaps since you have the razor locked in.

Wow, very generous!
Would love one of those Fatboys, knowing that it's in great condition.

I recently got screwed on eBay by buying a Slim that looked to be in fine condition but turned out to be misaligned and virtually unusable.

Well this is a very nice gesture. Your friend is a lucky man. I haven't tried a Vintage Gillette (I know shocking!) but whoever gets them on here I know they will be taken care of.

It's a shame you have to go back to buying carts after 5 years without, but if that's what works for you, you've got to do what's best for you. Now you'll be able to focus more on brushes and soaps since you have the razor locked in.

It's not a shame at all. You see DE guys all over the web (most of whom have been using a DE for less than 24 months) explaining that carts are not even 'real razors.'

Carts virtually eliminated the DE razor over 40 years ago because most men get a closer, smoother shave from a cart. The market share proves it. I think the Atra is a phenomenal shaver. The Injector improved. I use a Timeless, Wolfman and a Rockwell 6S and Atra's and Hydro 3. The carts provide as close or closer shave no question. It's not technique as I've been at this for years.

Congrats on the Mach 3 and better shaves! That's what matters.

Carts virtually eliminated the DE razor over 40 years ago because most men get a closer, smoother shave from a cart. The market share proves it.

Correlation does not imply causation. Carts virtually eliminated the other styles because the manufacturers hit on a goldmine of an idea on a product that forces the consumer to regularly purchase expensive proprietary equipment, and they shifted their production capacity to support that. They augmented this idea by adding in generational changes that necessitated ever-more-expensive proprietary equipment purchases that are never compatible from generation to generation. The razor companies aren't in the business to give better shaves, they're in the business of making money, just like any other company from dog food to auto manufacturers.
Some people get "better" shaves with carts. Some get "better" shaves with straights. Some may be happy using a rusty soup can lid. Better, schmetter. Most people are happy using whatever is available. It's us weirdos on forums that are simply louder about it all.

Correlation does not imply causation. Carts virtually eliminated the other styles because the manufacturers hit on a goldmine of an idea on a product that forces the consumer to regularly purchase expensive proprietary equipment, and they shifted their production capacity to support that. They augmented this idea by adding in generational changes that necessitated ever-more-expensive proprietary equipment purchases that are never compatible from generation to generation. The razor companies aren't in the business to give better shaves, they're in the business of making money, just like any other company from dog food to auto manufacturers.
Some people get "better" shaves with carts. Some get "better" shaves with straights. Some may be happy using a rusty soup can lid. Better, schmetter. Most people are happy using whatever is available. It's us weirdos on forums that are simply louder about it all.
The other issue was the standard DE razor's patent is public domain and anyone can make it. So no company had any claim to it. Carts are just a better money maker than DE's for shaving companies cant fault them for that. For some they work well and for others they don't. Everyone has different hair etc etc. Lets not make this a measuring contest shall we boys?

Carts are just a better money maker than DE's for shaving companies cant fault them for that. For some they work well and for others they don't. Everyone has different hair etc etc. Lets not make this a measuring contest shall we boys?

That's exactly what I said.

That's really generous of you! Love the Spirit here at BnB. I'm glad you found something that works for you! And very happy to hear that you will NOT be using the canned goo :p

It's not a shame at all. You see DE guys all over the web (most of whom have been using a DE for less than 24 months) explaining that carts are not even 'real razors.'

Carts virtually eliminated the DE razor over 40 years ago because most men get a closer, smoother shave from a cart. The market share proves it. I think the Atra is a phenomenal shaver. The Injector improved. I use a Timeless, Wolfman and a Rockwell 6S and Atra's and Hydro 3. The carts provide as close or closer shave no question. It's not technique as I've been at this for years.

Congrats on the Mach 3 and better shaves! That's what matters.

I think you took what I said from the wrong point of view. I said it was a shame because carts cost so much more. I don't disagree with carts giving a close shave, I've had to shave daily during my adult life due to work, I went away from carts due to ingrown hairs and irritation, in the OP he said a DE did not help this problem, so if he has found what works for him great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies if I took it in the wrong point of view.

Granted I am in the minority but having been on this board since 2010 and shavemyface since 2005 I have observed the DE evangelists and proselytizers countless number of times all over the web over the years belittle and squelch those who went back to carts. When you look at the numbers including the cost of DE razors and the ability to buy carts online at a discount the cost difference is negligible.

I shave most days with the Timeless .68 and Wolfman SB and they are phenomenal razors. Yet, finding a cartridge that works well for someone like the OP's Mach 3 is fantastic as well. I get great shaves from both systems and I would bet so do a lot of guys on the boards.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm in! I have one other. I'll re-pif the one I like less, if that's ok.

Kindly,
Adam

Top Bottom