What's new

FREE samples for your feedback

A postscript at day's end:

Sample B ended up lasting almost all day, and was very strong, and as it wore on, I realized I am quite sure I do not care for it. It definitely came off to me as having a "peach-coconut-suntan lotion" vibe.

Sample A was, again, very nice, and though it did not last very long, that was OK, and I liked it.

(my impressions were very close to those of Sunnys, above).

I shaved today and used the "B" sample. Again, I really would like to see the scent stronger. This one is stronger than A, but I still would like more scent out of it. To my nose, B smelled a lot more fruity with a distinct pineapple/peach top note. At first, it smelled like I opened a can of dole pineapple juice. There were also some nice undertones in this scent. The undertones reminded me of a strawberry/banana smoothie. This is a very clean, fruity, tropical scent. Again, the splash felt great after using my 6s, Rockwell blade, and Ariana and Evans Asian Pear soap. I do like this one, but I would probably have to pick A if it were up to me.

Friday I shaved again using the A sample. Today I went with the B sample and hit it heavy. I get different scents when I splash these heavy. The A sample smelled pretty much the same, except the fruity smell got sweeter. Not sickly candy sweet, but sweeter. The B sample, when applied heavy, seemed to have a peach scent come to the top. Not a sweet peach, but like the meat around the pit. I think I still like the A sample better than the B sample. But I would like the A to be a hint less sweet.

Here are my final impressions. I've used each sample alone a couple of times and have also mixed them. Like others, I've tried going heavy to see if that would impact longevity or scent. Overall, I prefer the scent of sample A--it's more complex and less sweet than sample B to me. My wife also preferred sample A. I really wish it had better staying power, though, as it was gone in an hour even with a heavier splash.

I tried mixing A and B to see if I could get the best of both worlds (complexity of A with staying power of B), but alas, that wasn't the case. I ended up with a splash that was sweeter than A, but still short lived. So for me, A was better than a combination of the two.

This was my first time using a tropical splash and I enjoyed it. Because of how quickly this AS fades, I wouldn't be afraid to use a light, fruity EDT with it. Overall, I could imagine using tropical on weekends and vacation--or times I wished it was the weekend or vacation (not gonna lie, I've reminisced about my vacations to Hawaii while wearing this).

Thanks for the sample, Captain. Good luck with the final product!

Got mine yesterday. I had not read other folks feedback until a little sampling. Interestingly, and contrary to some, I smell more pineapple forward in A and more pina colda and heavier sweet in B. Wife’s unbiased comments were the same as mine.

Both smell nice, but given the objective I would choose B over A personally. That said, A is not off-putting by any means. Remind me of hanging out on the beach with cold cocktails.

Well guys, we have heard from most of you and it has been very helpful. Thanks for your candor which is the most important aspect of this. We will certainly incorporate your feedback into the finished version.

We have been quite busy with the release of our other new aftershave Italia. Our hope is to release this new tropical scent in a few weeks. It will be available in the aftershave first and then the soap.

Name? What name will it have? Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words. Tell me - what do you think of our name and label design? (Note we have upgraded the bottle to be frosted rather than clear amber.)

IMG_4420.jpg

Last edited:
Well guys, we have heard from most of you and it has been very helpful. Thanks for your candor which is the most important aspect of this. We will certainly incorporate your feedback into the finished version.

We have been quite busy with the release of our other new aftershave Italia. Our hope is to release this new tropical scent in a few weeks. It will be available in the aftershave first and then the soap.

Name? What name will it have? Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words. Tell me - what do you think of our name and label design?

View attachment 1244897

I like both the name and the design. Great work Scott!

Name? What name will it have? Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words. Tell me - what do you think of our name and label design? (Note we have upgraded the bottle to be frosted rather than clear amber.)

View attachment 1244897
Looks good! From the testers' responses, the name should also fit pretty well. 🙂

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
OK, here goes:

I opened the package last night. One of the samples, B, had unfortunately broken during shipping. It smelled nice in the packaging but I couldn't try it out properly.

Onto sample A, which fortunately did not break.

I couldn't put my finger on what it smelled of exactly. I know this probably isn't very useful, but my mind kept coming back to Hawaiian Fruit Punch that I drank as a kid. It struck me as a decidedly femenine smell. It smelled good, don't get me wrong, but it's not what I'd put on my ugly mug before going out. Nothing wrong with the scent whatsoever, just a bit too tropical for my tastes.

My own personal impressions held apart, the bracing, healing properties of all the Captain's splashes were there. The scent for me had the perfect amount of longevity and projection.

In all, well done Captain - this will be a great addition to your lineup!

Captain,
Thanks for including me in the sampe sniff test. I just got back from vacation and the samples were waiting for me when I got home. Sample A was the favorite of the two for me, my wife and soon-to-be 18-year-old daughter. So hopefully you got three votes for the price of one sample. The pineapple essence of Sample B was too much for me.

As far as your question about a possible combo of the two, I couldn't begin to fathom the myriad combinations you could conjur up! We are Floridians so coconut and pineapple scents abound in all sorts of products. Sample A was the winner for us.

I'm in, if it's not too late.
I had about four of your sample packs years back when they were in tiny vials. My choice then was the Cat of 9 Tails and the Bay Rum.

Top Bottom