What's new

Free samples - feedback sought

I tried both scents A and B on separate shaves. I found both to have a moderate scent strength. However, A had a lingering sweet smell long after, which I did not care for. B had a much more pleasant smell after, which was more of a “green” smell that I found appealing. I would consider buying B but not A.

Shaved again with a scentless soap then showered. Used sample A for a second time and this time applied a little more than the first time. This time around, maybe because I was familiar with the pipe tobacco scent, I immediately picked up that sweet pipe tobacco scent as a primary and the forguere as secondary. As I settle in to write this review, the scents are now balance and quite pleasant. I will see how long it lasts tonight.

Again, as before, the scent is definitely present, but not overpowering.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've had the samples for some days now, have used both and guess it's time to answer the questions, as well as give me impression. To calibrate just a little, I have been "back" to traditional wetshaving for a dozen years or so, having started shaving circa 1962 with an adjustable Gillette & Blue Blades .. went to college with a Schick G (I think). I have tried a ton of aftershaves, too many to list. I do have pretty tough beard & skin. I also have some limitations of scent detection due to some bad habits ..

So, Scott's questions were, and my answers after using both for a while ...

1) Do you like it?

I liked both, the scents are different though. I tend towards appreciating stronger scented things better, due to my olfactory handicaps. Forced to pick, I prefer "A" for the sharper, stronger to my nose, scent. I do pick up some of the tobacco in A that another member has already mentioned. Sometimes the bottle sniff doesn't pan out on the skin, but to me both of these stayed true to their un-applied scent.

I also got a female friend's reaction - and true to form, she preferred sample B, but only slightly.

2) Strength of the scent

As said, I prefer stronger, and found sample A to be moreso, at least to me.

3) Does it last?

I've never done a cologne, and appreciate a longer lasting aftershave, at least theoretically. But, I don't notice unless I am testing for it, and thus it is machs nicht for me. I put the samples on different wrists to test, and found nothing after 90 minutes on either.

4) Would you buy it?

I'd like A, probably wouldn't buy B

Since there's no ingredient list and I had good skin reactions, I'll assume that either will have healing abilities without chemical additives. I didn't detect any menthol, and had no burn.

Thanks to Scott for the opportunity to provide some input - the fact that he runs product testing this way speaks volumes to me.

Same routine as before - lathered scentless soap then showered. I applied a little more of sample B tonight and found the fougere scent rise to the top, however the overall scent was still very weak and subtle. an hour after my shave, I can hardly notice any scent at all. Still, it is a pleasant scent, but very weak.

I will try each sample just one more time before doing my final report.

Depending on feedback we would like to release by August or September. These things always take longer than you like. We do have a cool name already picked out. It is surprising how much is involved from developing the formula to label design to production. For instance, Nor'easter took months and months to get the cream, soap, and balm products to match. This was due in large part to finding the balance of fragrance and menthol for three products with very different viscosities. We don't have that here which is a relief. As with past fragrances the aftershave will probably be released first followed by the other lines.

Again, much like Nor'easter filled a hole in our offerings by being a menthol this will do so in the Fougere category. I had a conversation with one of our retailers a while ago and he said in general the fougere products move along for him, Vetiver not as much. I looked at a number of online retailers and searched their stores for Fougere scents and then for Vetiver scents. The latter outnumbered the former easily. There you have your fancy market research, Captain's Choice Style!
This sounds great!
I’m watching this thread with interest.

Ok. I’ve used both. I don’t have the refined palate some here do based on their reviews.

long story short. I’d buy either of them. But prefer B for some reason. Both are excellent. Well done captain and thanks for letting us try them out.

Tonight was my last night with sample A. No real difference between the last two nights I used it and I have decided to end my sampling as I assume that trying sample B tomorrow night will have the same results as the other two times and I was not really impressed with B anyway.

So, here is my final report:

1. In general, do you like it? For sample A, I would say yes. Sample B, I would have to say no.

2. Strength of the scent - too weak, too strong, about right? Scent A is about right, scent B is too weak.

3. Does it last about the right amount of time? Scent A, yes. Scent B, no.

4. Would you buy it? Scent B is a definite NO. The scent is nice and complex, but way too subtle and does not last long. Scent A is also a NO.Although it is strong enough and last about the right amount of time, the Fougere scent does not stay around very long and quickly moves toward a sweet pipe tobacco scent. That scent is pleasant, but it is not fougere (or at least not for long).

I would like to thank the Captain for once again selecting me to test one of his new fragrance. When you consider hat two of my favorite fragrances are Captain's Choice AS (North and Venture), I consider it an honor to test this new one. I am just sorry that my assessment could not have been more favorable.

I have not read any of the comments before posting my opinions. I did not want to be swayed by something someone else said.

I applied each to my wrists as I would a tester EDC not used them as an aftershave so that I could smell them during the day and gauge how long each scent lasted.

After 2 days (A in the morning, B in the evening)....

To my nose.

A has a stronger sweeter scent. A's longevity is near EDC range (3 good hours). A would be a contender as a cologne. If I had my atomizer down here it WOULD be my EDC.

B has the same notes minus the sweet smell and it is less strong.The longevity of B is 1/3 that of A, making it more in the AS range.

I enjoy both and if they were sold as an AS/EDC set I would buy both.

Nice work!

Summing up, I think my preference is for Sample B. It had a more subtle scent and more in keeping with Houbigant Fougere Royale. A was good, but not the one I would reach for on a regular basis.

I used sample A last night for the first time. It has a combination of scents, nothing too complex, green/fern & a smoky (or others describe as tobacco) scent. The scent is not overpowering, but is subtle when applied. It lingers for a few hours, & it seems the combination of green & smoke continues with the smoke fading to the background.

I'll be trying sample B later today.

Sample B was noticeably different than A. It was lighter, the fern of A was more green in B. There was a light citrus forward scent to B that I found wanting more of. The scent was lighter & shorter-lived than A. Overall I like B more than A. There seemed to be more depth to B, even though it was lighter.

I received my samples late last Friday & have been working every day since, so i hadn't had an opportunity to try them out until yesterday. The initial nose test was performed and initially, I liked sample B more than A. When it came to the actual skin testing, I had to change my mind. I found B to be almost over powering while A was more subtile. SWMBO gave her opinion and also found B to be too strong for her liking. They both lasted a few hours with sample A still being the winner for my nose. It could very well be my skin chemistry that doesn't mix with these particular scents (it's happened before with other scents). So for me, sample A is the better of the 2; not sure if I would buy it as it did not particularly appeal top me but I think that there would definitely be a market for it. Thanks to the Captain for this opportunity & thanks to the opinions of the other reviewers.

After a few more days, I am still enjoying both samples.

I am still leaning to the sample marked "A" if I must "pick/choose"

The main reason is longevity.

2nDW8dfdgK-2.png

Well guys, I want to thank each of you. Especially for the candor, that is what helps a lot. Just like this tic tack toe it is very nearly a tie by my count. "B" seems to be the winner but barely, 6-4.

Here is what we have done. We have shipped out those same samples that you received to about fourteen volunteers who are on our email list as customers. We have asked them to sample both and post their feedback on our Facebook page right here: www.facebook.com/captainschoiceproducts

They will receive their free samples in another week and then it will be probably the following week that they begin to weigh in with their evaluations. So check it out there, "Like" us on Facebook if you like (sorry... :biggrin1:) to see what we decide. Some of the fellows may even do a youtube which we will post here: Captain's Choice - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGrM3XulZ51IzDpR6pvuQA

We actually have some pretty cool videos to check out while we are waiting. See how our soap is made in the factory, etc. Subscribe to our youtube channel so you are up with the latest!

So presently, we have a version that is favored but slightly. So we shall see what another group of volunteers thinks and go from there. I will also update this thread in time - stay tuned!

~ The Captain

Last edited:
View attachment 1118719

Well guys, I want to thank each of you. Especially for the candor, that is what helps a lot. Just like this tic tack toe it is very nearly a tie by my count. "B" seems to be the winner but barely, 6-4.

Here is what we have done. We have shipped out those same samples that you received to about fourteen volunteers who are on our email list as customers. We have asked them to sample both and post their feedback on our Facebook page right here: www.facebook.com/captainschoiceproducts

They will receive their free samples in another week and then it will be probably the following week that they begin to weigh in with their evaluations. So check it out there, "Like" us on Facebook if you like (sorry... :biggrin1:) to see what we decide. Some of the fellows may even do a youtube which we will post here: Captain's Choice - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGrM3XulZ51IzDpR6pvuQA

We actually have some pretty cool videos to check out while we are waiting. See how our soap is made in the factory, etc. Subscribe to our youtube channel so you are up with the latest!

So presently, we have a version that is favored but slightly. So we shall see what another group of volunteers thinks and go from there. I will also update this thread in time - stay tuned!

~ The Captain

I have received tracking notifications that my samples will be here in Monday. I'm looking forward to trying the samples and should have a reply to you on Tuesday. this will be a first impressions post and another post will follow.
Thanks for letting me participate.

After using both samples for multiple days in a row I would definitely buy Sample B.

Sample B was a more clean and fresh scent, while Sample A was a much sweeter scent. Which was not a bad scent just not my style. Plus the wife also preferred Sample B as well.

Both of their smells lasted for awhile. Both also left my face feeling great.

Both Samples are great performers but I would choose Sample B as the product I would purchase.

After using both samples for multiple days in a row I would definitely buy Sample B.

Okay, as of now that makes the "score" 7-4 in favor of sample "B."

Will be interesting to see if the feedback on the other 14 samples sent out will fall in line like that when they weigh in on our Facebook page in a week or so.

First Impressions:

The samples A and B arrived a little before 4 pm Denver time.
My wife said; "More shaving stuff?"
I told her they were samples for a new scent line and asked her to offer her opinion. The first thing she sniffed was sample B and said; "That smells like a guy scent."
Then she said; "I like this one." (sample A)
She is not impressed by Haslinger's, she likes Captain's Choice Sandalwood (Like a cat likes catnip.) and Venture.

My first impressions were initially favorable to both.
After wearing them on my wrist for over an hour is mixed.
I like A better after it has been worn a while; the scent is a bit more to my liking. I like the tobacco in it.
I liked sample B too; but not as much as I liked Venture.
I will start tomorrow with sample A and report back.
In summary I have a slight lean toward B.

We are currently 1 day shy of 2 weeks of using the 2 samples off and on, I feel I can make my final assessment.
======
I enjoyed both samples, but my clear winner is Sample #A -

1) Do you like it?

Hands down yes - I have numerous aftershaves but this one seems to go well with quite a few different soaps, it does not overpower or have an unpleasant scent, the major bonus is the Wife really like the scent.

2) Strength of the scent

IMHO I think it is perfect strength.

3) Does it last?

I think it lasts long enough, it does not punch you in the face, it is there and does not overpower, it is subtle and has decent staying power.

4) Would you buy it?

YES- I will be all over this when it is for sale, especially if it is paired with a matching soap!

Top Bottom