What's new

Free samples - feedback sought

I received the AS samples today and I can’t wait to try them. Both smell great. Off the bat sample A has a stronger sweeter smell and sample B has a milder cleaner smell.

I also received the AS samples this morning, just in time to try out with the morning shave, Initial reaction was A has a mild clean scent, B is also very nice but came off a tad stronger and a little more complex. SWMBO gave both of them the sniff test and immediately said that they both smell nice but A smelled incredible, so needless to say I went with that this morning. The scent is very clean and has a sophisticated air about it, I have had it on for about 3 hours now and I can barely smell it, I asked the wife for a scent check and she advised that it is still there, not overpowering, but it is still there. I paired the AS with Fine Santal Absolute soap for this morning's shave, they seemed to go together well.

I received the Fougere aftershave last Friday. I really appreciate you letting me try it. My wife liked it right off, which was a great sign. It reminds me of the woods in the fall, definitely a good masculine scent. I have used it several times now, which I wanted to do before providing feedback. Overall I really like the scent, however, I tend to like strong scents and I think this one is a little light. Of course, I see others on the forums complain about strong scents in soaps and aftershaves, so it is quite subjective. The scent does stay long enough for an aftershave, which is important for those that use a cologne afterwards. I like the Nor'Easter do much that I would order that in a cologne, with or without the menthol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Received my samples in the post yesterday, thanks!! Now for the scents:
A: Initial sniff from the bottle was very sweet. On the skin it hit me first as a cavendish tobacco smell, sweet with a bit of earthiness to it, some vanilla notes in there. On dry-down the fern notes came out, but not powerfully, very understated. The scent lasted about 2 hours with the final hour still holding with the tobacco scent and just a hint of fern.
B: Initial scent from the bottle was of soap, perhaps a hint of lavender? On the skin the fern was in the forefront with some citrus notes. It was very clean smelling. The fern stayed with it during its lifespan of about 90 minutes, with some pine notes coming in near the end.

I like them both. I could see myself using A more in the winter months, B could go all year. Neither scent is overpowering with B almost a hint rather than a full-fledged scent. B did remind me more of a classic "fougere" scent. A seemed like it would pair really well with Uncle Jons Pipesmoke shave soap. The final big question, would I buy it? I think B would be where I spend my money.

Now, anyone is free to disagree with me on this, this is just what I smelled.

Just received my samples in today's mail. Opened the caps of both to take a sniff and found out that both would probably need to be applied on my face to get the full effect. Will use A tonight. I am searching for my test batch soap I made a while back that did not have any scent.

I found a shaving soap without scent and shaved tonight so my nose would not be tainted with any additional scents. I then took a shower to get rid of any other residual scents and after showering, I used the A sample. It definitely needed to be out of the container and on my face as I got the full effect of the scent. Like the previous scent I tested from Captain's Choice, this scent was not overpowering and went on very subtle, but lasted long afterwards. Two hours later, it is still noticeable but not strong. As for the scent itself, I have to say that this is just a pure and simple forguere without any additional complex thing.

Will try sample B tomorrow night also using my unscented soap.

Did a full on fougere today, with Uncle Jon's Fougere soap, sample B and Houbigant Foguere Royale. All three are very similar in profile.

The reports sound promising.
Any ideas about a release date?

Depending on feedback we would like to release by August or September. These things always take longer than you like. We do have a cool name already picked out. It is surprising how much is involved from developing the formula to label design to production. For instance, Nor'easter took months and months to get the cream, soap, and balm products to match. This was due in large part to finding the balance of fragrance and menthol for three products with very different viscosities. We don't have that here which is a relief. As with past fragrances the aftershave will probably be released first followed by the other lines.

Again, much like Nor'easter filled a hole in our offerings by being a menthol this will do so in the Fougere category. I had a conversation with one of our retailers a while ago and he said in general the fougere products move along for him, Vetiver not as much. I looked at a number of online retailers and searched their stores for Fougere scents and then for Vetiver scents. The latter outnumbered the former easily. There you have your fancy market research, Captain's Choice Style!

Last edited:
Depending on feedback we would like to release by August or September. These things always take longer than you like. We do have a cool name already picked out. It is surprising how much is involved from developing the formula to label design to production. For instance, Nor'easter took months and months to get the cream, soap, and balm products to match. This was due in large part to finding the balance of fragrance and menthol for three products with very different viscosities. We don't have that here which is a relief. As with past fragrances the aftershave will probably be released first followed by the other lines.

Again, much like Nor'easter filled a hole in our offerings by being a menthol this will do so in the Fougere category. I had a conversation with one of our retailers a while ago and he said in general the fougere products move along for him, Vetiver not as much. I looked at a number of online retailers and searched their stores for Fougere scents and then for Vetiver scents. The latter outnumbered the former easily. There you have your fancy market research, Captain Style!
Nor'Easter would be awesome with or without the menthol. You hit it out of the park on that one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Got mine yesterday. Will test out this weekend.

initial sniff of both - love them both and would buy either one if available. After applying to skin I’ll get a better handle on any differences.
Stay tuned.

Tonight I tried out sample B after doing the same as last night - using an unscented shave soap and then showering before applying the AS. This time, the scent was very complex, more subtle, and had some flowery notes to it. I immediately detected lavender and a citrus. The forguere did not come out until a little later. The scent was not as strong as sample A and after less than an hour it is quickly fading.

An interesting note on sample A is that after it started to wear out after about two hours, the scent that lingered was a sweet pipe tobacco scent, similar to @emwolf experience, except my experience was a strong forguere scent in the beginning.

I will alternate for a couple more days using the unscented soap, however so far, I am favoring sample A.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Received the samples in the mail Thursday. Just used B this morning. No sting whatsoever, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Great light foresty scent. Off to a good start.

1) Do you like it?

Yes! I like a variety of aftershaves to choose from depending on my mood. I do not have any fougere scented aftershaves so this would be nice to have in my den.

2) Strength of the scent

I found it to be "strong enough". Definitely a light scent but very refreshing.

3) Does it last?

I'll find out through the course of the day and include it in my next write up.

4) Would you buy it?

A simple yes will suffice.

I will use A tomorrow. Thanks for the opportunity to try it!

Top Bottom