What's new

Free Nipples! (Well, almost free) (DIY PIF)

I made a few handles a while ago out of once fired cartridge cases and piffed them. I had a few members contact me to see where they could purchase the components. (I have not seen them for sale anywhere). I found some scrap brass so I made up some pieces to give away.
The pic below shows the (7) threaded nipples I made along with the knurled aluminum base caps. The nipples fit 30 caliber casings. (30-30, 308, 30-06, etc. -I made one in 303 British for my English Tech) The pic of the 30-06 casing shows how the pieces should be assembled. The winner provides their own cartridge casing. I use JB Weld to glue everything together. Some steel wool applied to the inner case neck is advisable. Clean the surfaces to be adhered after removing the surface corrosion.

IMG_0180.JPG

I have been impressed by the craftsmanship of many of the woodturners on this site. For you guys I made some longer threaded nipples for use with turned wood handles. The shaft is slightly under .250" so it will easily glue into a 1/4" hole. The length will distribute the stresses over a longer portion of the handle to prevent cracking of the wood at the tip.

Shipping rates from Canada can be pretty high, so here's my idea for a way to share the expense.
For this pif, I'll restrict this to CONUS (where the large % of our members reside) to keep the shipping costs down. Shipping within the USA should be under $5.
1. I'll let the post run for a while, then pick winner #1. I'll mail everything to winner#1, at my expense.
2. Winner #1 picks one or two sets to keep.
3. Winner #1 then picks Winner #2 from this post and mails all the remaining pieces to Winner#2, at Winner #1's expense.
4. Winner #2 picks one or two sets and winner #3. Winner#2 pays for the shipping to Winner #3
5. You get the idea, this continues until all the pieces are gone.

Winners can use any method to pick the next winner.
It would be nice to see some of the handles posted on this thread, or start a new one to share your project.

If there is interest, I'll make more.

For interested international members: If you are interested, and would agree to paying for international shipping (about twice the cost), let us know in a post on this thread. If there is enough interest, I'll make more and do an international pif. Same method, I'll pay shipping for winner #1.

Oh yeah -just say "I'm in".

as someone who is definitely not a DIY kinda guy, I'm not in, but I can't wait to see what some of our "crafty" members come up with.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow! Great PIF, great opportunity.

Not in, but looking forward to seeing some 7.62mm ballistic handles.

AA

as I have 2 left hands with DIY not in. Great site with what you all do here it is unsurpassed by any othre group of people I know on the Web !!!

I'm in . Plenty of 30-06 cases. Being a gun accumulator i have many different cases. 9.3x57, 6.5x55, 8x57, 7mm mauser, .375 H&H 38-55, 45-70 and .458 Win Mag., 35 Rem, 35 Whelen

A very original PIF! Not in as I'm about as handy as a screen door on a submarine, but looking forward to seeing what the winners do with these materials.

Thank you to all those who posted and participated.
The first winner is @jkingrph. Congrats!
Pm your mailing address to me and I'll send them out tomorrow.
It looks like there will be enough pieces for all participants!

Looking forward to a few pics!

Sounds Great!

If anyone is interested, I'm looking into a 90 second set epoxy for attaching the knurled aluminum base to the case. Shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks or less. It's 2000 psi tensile strength adhesive, where a usual 15 minute setting epoxy is around 1500 psi. More on that as soon as I can get hands on more inventory.

I'll also be nickel plating my brass neckpiece & if anyone is interested, I can pass on a how-to video about it.

I still have not heard back from winner #1, (some of us old geezers still work...) so I thought I'd just name another first winner. With 11 pieces and 4 winners, there are enough pieces for everyone to be a winner. Just the order changes.
@ShaverAZ , pm me a mailing address and we'll get this show on the road.

The package arrived, I took out 2 sets, and it is now on the way to participant #2 over behind the Pine Curtain.
Looking at rifle brass, the .30-06 looked awkward with the long case neck; .308 was too short. 8mm Mauser was perfect & I just happened to have some old 1923 surplus brass handy. It balances nicely.
I I turned down the razor end piece a little so it press fits + glued it to be secure.
Before assembly I nickeled the case and the end separately:

FSCN1158.JPG
FSCN1156.JPG
Handle Length vs Gillette Tech Fat Handle:
8mm Handle vs Fat Handle.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom