What's new

GIVEAWAY! Free - New release promotion!

What has surprised me about being here on B&B?

If I'm being honest the first thing that comes to mind is level of respect given to each other here. I get such a nice feeling from being part of this upstanding community because of the gentlemanly nature of this place. I wish it weren't the case but what this forum represents is sorely needed elsewhere in our current world.

I love being here.

P.S. I know I'm late for the contest but still wanted to share my thoughts.

It will have its maiden voyage tomorrow.

626D7632-2FA0-4CD2-928D-B6A9C77CDE9E.jpeg

This is the third bowl I’ve used in my soap and brush career. For the first ten years, I used a glass bowl from the kitchen. Last year I bought an actual lather bowl with the ridges on the bottom. And today I used the new scuttle.

I compared the size of all three and was surprised that the glass bowl actually had a diameter larger than the lather bowl. It was the same as this scuttle.

The bowl of the scuttle is basically cone shaped. I didn’t know what to think about that. The lather bowl I’ve been using has a flat bottom, and I’ve become used to that over the last year. When I looked at the glass bowl in comparison with the scuttle, it occurred to me that, while not cone shaped, it is rounded and not flat, so it’s not that different than the scuttle, so my previous experience with the glass bowl probably shouldn’t be much different than the scuttle. In practice, though, it did turn out to be different.

As far as building a lather in the scuttle, what was different than the smooth sided glass bowl is that it was much easier in the glass bowl to drive the lather back down into the bowl when it started to push up to the top. (I used my smallest brush, the Semogue 610, so it might be easier with a larger brush. I’ll use the Omega 10049 next time.) I kept wanting to push the lather down with the tips of the brush for some reason. (I normally just wipe the brush around the sides of the bowl picking up the lather.) That doesn’t work well with the ridges.

The only thing I would really consider a complaint would be the flat spout. It takes forever for me to get hot water running out of the faucet, so I put water in a tea kettle to heat up and poured it from the tea kettle into the scuttle. I poured very slowly, but still slopped some into the scuttle and in the sink. No harm done, of course, but it seems if the hole were round (or a square?), it would be a bigger target to hit. If you just fill from the sink faucet, it really doesn’t matter.

Regarding a warm lather, it works well! Normally, even when I use warm water from the sink when building my lather in a bowl, by the time it gets to my face it’s cold. When I applied this lather, it was really warm. I had to laugh. I wasn’t expecting such warmth. I bet this would be awesome in winter!

So having used the scuttle only one time, I am sure I will get used to building a lather in it, finding the best way to drive lather back down as it rides up the sides and tries to escape. New items always take a little time to get used to. Oh, as for the size, instead of holding it like I would a bowl, I just let it sit on the counter as I swirled the brush around to build the lather. It’s heavy enough, even more so filled with water, that it didn’t move. I had it on a doily to protect the countertop.

8A0AB44D-0213-4A67-87D7-9284ABFF3E25.jpeg

Top Bottom