What's new

Free internet at home alternatives?

I have a tripple play package with my home cable. This includes cable, internet and home phone. I know people have been ditching cable for a while along with home phone but I have not jumped on that bandwagon yet. I know you can tether internet from your smart phone and use it as a wireless hotspot but I don't have unlimited data with my AT&T iPhone 4. SHMBO has the Verizon iPhone with unlimited data so I assume we can use that by jail breaking the phone and using it as a hot spot.
She isn't thrilled about messing with her phone so I don't think that is an option. I also read that once you jail break and iPhone, if you update the software you would have to jail break it again. This seems like a headache unless you don't update your phone via iTunes.
I came across this Youtube video of a kid demonstration how to use an Ipod Touch as a wireless hotspot. It would have to be jail broken first before it can be used. He explained you have to download some app that allows you to use it as the hotspot.
Does anyone here have any experience with this or uses other alternatives?

I can't speak directly to your question, but can give some context.

I think that you should look at your Terms of Service agreement.

There's a long history of using smart phones as modems that has seen a pattern of escalated usage, followed by measures from service providers to eliminate particular vulnerabilities that allow for such usage. Part of these measures in the past have involved "Cease and Desist" letters and demand letters for back payment.

From the providers perspective, the increase use of phones first to download large amounts of music and later streaming video has pushed bandwith use astronomically. Over time, they added and enforced restrictions, with bandwidth restrictions on their "unlimited plans".

We cut back from our triple play plan and went with a simple FIOS connection (available in our area, whereas DSL is not).

Best of Luck,

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed................what is "jail break" mean?.........................JR

It basically means you do some to it internally or have someone who knows how to " jailbreak " the phone where it allows you to do other options the phone doesn't come with or can do. If anyone knows a better description please correct me.

Your best bet to save money is cut your cable and land phone line. Search your local listings, or the internet for establishing new internet with a different company that will give you a cut rate locked in for at least 2 years. I signed on with Charter, (internet, no cable, no phone) for 29.99/mo. I bought my own modem, and got a rebate for it. That way I don't have to rent the modem from the cable company. That is of course if you have multiple ISPs in your area. If you don't, you could still try to convince your ISP to give you the introductory rate if you threaten to drop all of your services.

I don't see using a phone internet connection as a viable option, even for minor browsing. The connection is much slower, and unless you have an unlimited plan, you will quickly reach your data allowance. Also, unlimited plans aren't truly unlimited. They give you a generous amount of data, but put a major throttle on your bandwith when you reach a certain quota. This is to pretty much prevent people from doing exactly what you are talking about. Also, you will be tied to only being able to use the internet when your wife, or person with the tether enabled phone is home. That could get annoying fast.

No matter what, you will probably end up spending at least $30/mo on internet. To "legally" tether your phone, the cell company requires you to pay for the service. That will run you $20-30/mo depending on the carrier. There was an iPhone software update a few iterations ago that bakes in tethering ability. Go to Settings>General>Network>Personal Hotspot. It will not be available by default unless you enable it and pay for the service through Verizon. Jailbreaking will give you the ability until Verizon figures out what you are doing and shuts you down.

Last edited:
It basically means you do some to it internally or have someone who knows how to " jailbreak " the phone where it allows you to do other options the phone doesn't come with or can do. If anyone knows a better description please correct me.

That makes since. I think?......JR

if you use your phone for all internet you will be using ALOT of data. Especially if you watch movies. Your provider might start throttling back your access or charge you for accessive data usage.

Definitely consider just finding a local ISP.

I called to speak to my ISP's cancellation department when I moved (with the full intention of switching providers). They ended up offering me $15/mo. for my internet connection for six months, which I accepted.

I have no real interest in cable or a landline phone, so the appeal of the triple play package is lost on me. I'm fine with internet, a Netflix subscription, and over-the-air HDTV.

Like the fellas advised above, I wouldn't use phone tethering as a long-term solution for broadband access - your provider will find a way to punish you for it.

You can't beat cable. Nothing else is as efficient or fast. If you have it now and somehow do away with, you will certainly miss it. In this case, less is definitely not "more". Anything worth having is worth paying for. "Free" things in this life usually under-perform and almost always unimpress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom