What's new

Frederick Reynolds light restore by hand

5BDD45D0-2BB5-43F8-B29A-6248174AABB8.jpeg 766EED90-C818-4649-936B-F83B52D433B6.jpeg I bought this blade for cheap and it can still shave the hair off my arm. This is my first blade I have purchased with a barbers notch and with see thru bone scales. I started out with a clean and light coat of nearsfoot oil. I left the oil soak on the inside and out by way of a light coat applied with a cotton ball and a q tip for the inside of the scales. After a 30 min soak I buffed the scales of unsoaked residue and let them rest while I polished all the metal surfaces. I got most of the stains out but I’m sure a wheel would be a whole lot better to clean it up. Once fully polished I coated the scales with Ren Wax and polished some more. Here is the end result thus far, im sure I would like to go a little bit more with this restoration but at another time. For now I’m quite impressed so far. I anybody can help me date this blade that would be helpful.

The tang isn't too skinny, so not too late in the 19th century. That style silver inlay doesn't look relatively young either. The scales look like painted horn to me.

06EB3227-BB91-4C7E-A1AA-B1B797F1BE9C.jpeg
746FFC31-896D-47A3-9578-6C7B816979B9.jpeg
I decided to try and clean it up a little more this morning. I was able to get the blade a little cleaner and where I would feel comfortable enough to stop at this point. So far it has cleaned up nicely.

Top Bottom