What's new

Fraudulent seller ebay

Gents,
I have used ebay lots of times.. And while i had products that were delivered which were not similar to what was described.. I have never bothered much.

But recently i ordered a couple of things from a seller.. I paid him! He shipped it!
A couple of days back i received a mail from him stating that the parcel was returned to him and that the recipient had not accepted the delivery! He also said that he would only give me a partial refund and relist the item!
I immediately checked the tracking details. There is no mention of it even coming to California!

I have been at home all day from the past 10 days and no one came to deliver the product.

I've sent him a mail but i have got no response! I'm going to give him some more days to respond but if he doesnt i'm going to contact paypal.

Can someone please walk me through the procedure of contacting paypal, reporting a fraud and getting a refund?

Thank you!

i wouldn't worry, keep the email(s), just in case..
On your PayPal account - "My Account" - "Resolution Center" tab - "Dispute a Transaction". It will give you a list of your eBay purchases, select the one(s) and take from there... it's rather easy.

If you file to complaint through ebay, they will automatically put a hold on the money paid to the sellers PayPal account immediately. The seller will then have 4 days to resolve the trouble with you first before ebay will start on their end. The case stays open till you close it.

Goto My eBay--> Summary --> (then scroll to the item you won in the "Purchased" list)
On the right where you would leave feedback is a dropdown menu, under that menu is "Resolve a problem"
Click that and follow it from there.

EZ

Last edited:
You can also ding the seller with a review. You can also file with your credit card company if you paid pay pal with a credit card. The credit card company is on the hook for anything you paid for with a credit card that you don't receive.

Do the honorable thing and start with ebay.

I had this happen so you are not alone. I ordered a pair of chainsaw chaps, paid using PayPal and the seller marked the item as shipped. Two weeks went by and with the tracking number provided I watched the shipment never leave the state of origin. I contacted the seller and was responded to by being told he had a family emergency. He will get the item shipped within 24 hours. Another week went by and nothing happened. No tracking number, no information from the seller, nada. I opened a dispute through the resolution center and that same day I was issued a full refund and the seller received a negative feedback.

Last edited:
Provide the tracking info to ebay and PayPal, and hammer the guy with a complaint. If your docs back you up, just do it (at least I would). He's already given you an unsatisfactory response.
Just my .02

Thank you all.. I'll give him a couple of days before i can take any action!
Why cant they just be straightforward, i paid him whatever he asked for it! Now it was his turn to do the right thing and he defaults!

Just got a couple of questions..

1) If i complain to paypal, will they refund the shipping fee too? I paid a hefty shipping fee because it was a glass object!

2) is there a maximum period before which i have to raise a complaint? If so, how many days?

Thank you!

Ebay STRONGLY favors the buyer in these situations. It is the seller's responsibility to make sure the buyer receives the item. Even if USPS loses the package, it's still on the seller to make it right and provide a refund or replacement. In your case, you'll have to open a dispute and go through the process, but should have no problem.

Sorry to hear about your issue. If you paid for the purchase through eBay, you should raise a dispute through eBay. Since the tracking number shows that the package was never delivered to you, the decision will clearly be in your favor. Also, some unscrupulous sellers will send emails directly to your email address since eBay checks messages between buyer & seller in eBay messaging system in case of disputes. If the seller sent you the message directly to your email address, please respond to him through eBay and ask him only to communicate through eBay messaging.

You have up to 30 days after the estimated delivery date to open a case. Please see here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/item-not-received.html

If eBay decides the case in your favor, then you will get a full refund including shipping cost.

Last edited:
i wouldn't worry, keep the email(s), just in case..
On your PayPal account - "My Account" - "Resolution Center" tab - "Dispute a Transaction". It will give you a list of your eBay purchases, select the one(s) and take from there... it's rather easy.

+1 for Bebe's info here. I've gone thru it and PayPal+ Ebay were very cooperative and got me total refunds quite quickly.No problems really.

Craig

I would file the dispute right away. It's EZ to start the process, and EZ to end it if the seller re-ships the item, or issues a full refund (it will include both the auction price & shipping). It is always best to act on disputes in a reasonable time, and not let the time linger on. Ether method posted above will get you to where you need to start the process.

The secret to getting ahead, is getting started.

As stated do it now. He will have so many days to resolve it personally and if he doesn't it's his loss not yours, Ebay/Paypal will easily side in your favour.

Twice in my experience on Ebay I have won auctions at an unbelievable low price for really quality items...Items stated as shipped, but I never received anything..Seller claims items had to be lost in shipping....Oddly, items were shipped with no insurance or tracking, ergo, no record of being shipped...Lesson learned for me...insurance and tracking are a must for me. I will pay the difference.

Twice in my experience on Ebay I have won auctions at an unbelievable low price for really quality items...Items stated as shipped, but I never received anything..Seller claims items had to be lost in shipping....Oddly, items were shipped with no insurance or tracking, ergo, no record of being shipped...Lesson learned for me...insurance and tracking are a must for me. I will pay the difference.

If the seller had no tracking number, how would they know they carrier lost them? Smells like a scam to me.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
ALWAYS communicate solely through ebay. One trick that unscrupulous con artists use is to get your email address and commumicate with you "off the books". If it is all through ebay, then ebay can easily verify all communications. This is especially true if you sell an item. Some scammers get your email address and next thing you know, you get an email from paypal saying you have been paid, and to ship your item now. Of course that email is bogus. Happened to me and I almost fell for it, almost shipped a nice camera to somewhere in Nigeria without getting paid, because I had a bogus email saying I was paid the bid amount plus another $100 and the buyer wanted me to ship overseas instead of the listed ebay address. The only thing that stopped me is I had specified that I would only ship CONUS and she had no business even suggesting that I ship overseas. Then I figured out what was really going on. Pretty neat scam. When the buyer who had already won the auction by the way, asked me to email her some more pictures, like an idiot I did, and that's how she got my private email address. I should have refused, or at least posted them on the listing or sent them through ebay messaging. Do not use email! Communicate through ebay only, whether you are buying or selling.

Thank you all.. I have filed a complaint with paypal..
just before i filed the complaint i received a mail from the seller asking me for my address again so that he could compare it the address he had sent it to!
his mail was out right rude and he made it look like he was doing a favor to me by sending the product. there was no sign of him being apologetic..
thats when i decided it was high time i raise the issue with paypal!

thanks you all for your advice!
i hope this issue gets resolved!

Top Bottom