What's new

Franz Swaty hone stone

I purchased a barber set a bit ago and it came with this stone. After reading; it has a good reputation for a finishing stone. The question I have is do I need to have someone lap it for me? I believe I do, but would appreciate the advice.
20181201_213601[1].jpg
20181201_213606[1].jpg

Needs lapping, edge dressing and conditioning. It's not a finishing sone, it's a touch up stone - technically it's a barber's hone. Like a lot of the barber hones out there, you can find all sorts of ridiculous grit rating claims but they're just one of the better barber hones...

Needs lapping, edge dressing and conditioning. It's not a finishing sone, it's a touch up stone - technically it's a barber's hone. Like a lot of the barber hones out there, you can find all sorts of ridiculous grit rating claims but they're just one of the better barber hones...

+1
Lap it on 600 w/d, chamfer the edges. Give it a hand rub of vasoline - work it in your hand for a while. Wipe off with paper towel and should be good to go.
There are many variations of this hone. The best ones producing edges that may improve an 8k slightly.
Many use lather as a lube. I use water only on barber hones. Should you use lather make sure to wash well. Soap will break it down over time as will sunlight.
Having another look at the photos it may already be degraded a little. White efflorescence is a sign of degradation

Nothing to do but try it and see. I'd go along with that 600 grit lap on the "coarse" side but I'd recommend going considerably finer on the finishing side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom