What's new

Frankenrazor

I got a razor on E-bay. Luckily I didn't pay much. It was a bakalite with no markings other than 'Made in USA' on the underside of the base. The cap doesn't match and didn't fit right. The bade gap looked HORRIBLE. Very uneven one side to the other and it looked to be hazardous to my health. But I liked the look of the base so I combined a Old style cap and a bar handle from a New with the Bakalite base. Now it looks usable. Time will tell.....

$IMG_20160318_185549764.jpg$IMG_20160318_185705375.jpg$IMG_20160318_185734039.jpg

I just got done using this razor combonation for the first time. Wow, I was expecting an aggressive shave, still this one makes my Red Tip feel like a Tech. I did my normal 2 pass on a two day growth and I'm really pleased with the results. Did get a couple little weepers on my neck but I can't blame the razor for that. The lighting in the truck is not the best for shaving purposes. Definitely goning to give this another shot under better shaving conditions.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Am wondering if this contract tech is a frankenrazor.

The cap has the four locating tabs on the corners but the plate does not have the depressions to accommodate the tabs, granted the tabs have a very low profile to them. Is this normal for the aluminum handle range of techs?

Thanks

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hi guys,
Am wondering if this contract tech is a frankenrazor.

The cap has the four locating tabs on the corners but the plate does not have the depressions to accommodate the tabs, granted the tabs have a very low profile to them. Is this normal for the aluminum handle range of techs?

Thanks

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
I believe it is franken. The heads of those were black like the handle or they had a black cap and silver baseplate. That's what I see on Mr-Razor, anyway.
Kindly,
Adam

I'm not sure if it is a Frankenrazor; I have one just like yours (in gold) coming in in the mail. I posted some pics in the
Safety Razor Acquisition Thread. I also looked at Mr-Razor and see tabs.
1945 (P1 on blade) Contract Tech.JPG

I got a razor on E-bay. Luckily I didn't pay much. It was a bakalite with no markings other than 'Made in USA' on the underside of the base. The cap doesn't match and didn't fit right. The bade gap looked HORRIBLE. Very uneven one side to the other and it looked to be hazardous to my health. But I liked the look of the base so I combined a Old style cap and a bar handle from a New with the Bakalite base. Now it looks usable. Time will tell.....

View attachment 645593View attachment 645594View attachment 645596
At the very least you have a good cap and handle....

I'm not sure if it is a Frankenrazor; I have one just like yours (in gold) coming in in the mail. I posted some pics in the
Safety Razor Acquisition Thread. I also looked at Mr-Razor and see tabs.
View attachment 776773

The parts look exactly right, just that they are not black. Quite a relief that its not a franken. Guess the coating has been polished off. The cap and base plate are obviously brass. But whats the handle made from?

I've heard many people say its aluminum. But based on the weight its either Brass or Stainless or something along those lines. The dull silver tone of the handle's base metal does not make either seem that plausible though. Its rather dense so zamak is not a candidate either...

R

romsitsa

I had two contract type techs, one gold, one black. Both had some plate loss, so I can state that the both had zamak handles.

Adam

I had two contract type techs, one gold, one black. Both had some plate loss, so I can state that the both had zamak handles.

Adam

Per a Google search Zamak is about 80 to 85% of the weight of steel so is going to be over twice the weight of an aluminum razor handle. 6.6 grams/cubic cm while steel is 7.5 to 8 g/ccm depending on the alloy type.

Top Bottom