What's new

Frank Shaving - Excellent Synthetic Brushes...

I received my package from Frank Shaving (FS), containing two badger brushes and two synthetics.

I ordered the pur-tech and a tuxedo.

You can catch my review for the badger brushes here:

Frank Shaving - a couple of badgers gave me a pleasant surprise!

Here are some pics of the synths:
FS synths.jpg
FS synths top.jpg
FS purtech.jpg
FS purtech SOTD.jpg

Shedding:

Neither brush has shed at all. Synthetics generally don’t have any issues with shedding and I have yet to receive a synthetic brush with shedding issues.

Softness:

The tips are very soft and similar to other tuxedo knots. I generally like tuxedo knots and this one feels like the “original” tuxedo knot from APShaveCo.

The Pur-tech is something special! If you have ever experienced a Muhle Silvertip Fibre V2, you’ll know how good that fibre is. It’s basically PERFECTION in the synthetic fibre market IMO.

It’s really soft at the tips to the point where you barely feel them. The brush overall has substance but the tips are like air! Just like the Muhle STF, the pur-tech excels at creating lather in no time! You can load it heavily and it’ll convert the soap and water into lather in rapid time!

Splay:

The tuxedo knot is very similar to other tuxedo knots on the market. This one is set at a loft of 55mm and I find it assists in splay. I enjoyed this characteristic.

The pur-tech splays very nicely! Again, like the Muhle STF, it expands amazingly as the volume of lather grows inside it. This is fairly unique to this fibre as my Muhle STF v1 and v2 both display this characteristic. The splay therefore, is awesome!

Backbone and glue bump:

The tuxedo does have a glue bump of about 10mm. Given the loft is set at 55mm, the brush has strong backbone but still does splay fairly well.

The pur-tech is set at a loft of 50mm with a knot of 28mm. This may sound SHOCKING at first but that’s the beauty of this fibre! This fibre doesn’t behave like any other synthetic fibre on the market. It’s very unique in this sense.

The brush splays very nicely and with the 28mm knot, holds a lot of lather. It also never hogs any lather and releases/applies it very nicely on the face.

It’s basically the “chubby” version of the Muhle STF. I’d highly recommend it to all the STF fans out there as it’s the same magical fibre but in a configuration that you can’t get anywhere else.

It’s shot up to being one of my all time favourite synthetic brushes.

I am curious about how this brush would feel with a loft of 55mm…or perhaps the same 50mm loft with the total absence of a glue bump.

Drying time:

Both brushes dried out in no time. It’s easy with a synthetic and that’s likely why they are so popular with travellers.

I don’t travel much so it’s not a factor for me. I like synthetics for their overall characteristics.

Handle:

I perhaps should have chosen a different handle for the tuxedo but in any case, the handles are great. They are in the “chubby” shape and very comfortable to use. The marble pattern is really wonderful and looks very pleasing!

So...you can feel the glue bump on the Muhle clone?

If I press down at the bottom of the knot, there's a small glue bump, much smaller than the tuxedos in general.

The characteristics of the pur-tech means the glue bump doesn't impact the usage all that much.

Thanks. I have the 23mm Muhle. No glue bump feel. I might prefer a little more density, but not a bigger knot. 28mm would seem huge, to me.

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks. I have the 23mm Muhle. No glue bump feel. I might prefer a little more density, but not a bigger knot. 28mm would seem huge, to me.

Thanks for posting this.

No worries.

Even I thought 28mm is way over the top but honestly, it doesn't feel so big due to the lower loft. I like it just as much as my 23mm muhle v1 and v2.

@nav

I just learned something new based on your review. You made me curious to try this pure tech fiber.

I'm also very surprised with the pur-tech. I'm so happy with it because it's so unique since it's a chubby version of the muhle fibre.

The muhle was already my favorite knot (I love both v1 & v2) and now the pur-tech has added a different feeling muhle knot.
Very, very pleased!

Great reviews!! :a14::a14:

Thanks again mate :)

I'm also very surprised with the pur-tech. I'm so happy with it because it's so unique since it's a chubby version of the muhle fibre.

The muhle was already my favorite knot (I love both v1 & v2) and now the pur-tech has added a different feeling muhle knot.
Very, very pleased!

Thanks again mate :)

Can you PM the link please? Thanks in advance!

Thank you @nav. That price killed all my hopes. :D

Fair enough. It's not for everyone.

It's much cheaper than its muhle competition (price wise and quantity wise as it's a much bigger knot).
It's not in the same space as Yaqi or many other synthetic brush brands so that's why I tend not to compare it to them.
For an apples to apples comparison, I only make comparisons to the muhle/EJ silvertip fibre.

If the wind is blowing from the West and the moon is full, and currency exchange rates are reasonable, Shaving ie can have good prices on Muhle brushes. Allow about a week for delivery to USA.

The FS Pure-tech Tech looks more like a ChuubC2 Synth clone. Can anyone compare them? As size ( handle and knot) is the FS bigger?

Do they sell this knot Pur Tech alone somewhere?
Try to send msg frank from his eBay shop. He usually respond back in about 2-3 days but sometimes goes off the radar completely. I got couple of badger knots from him so I imagine he will talk about purtech too.

The FS Pure-tech Tech looks more like a ChuubC2 Synth clone. Can anyone compare them? As size ( handle and knot) is the FS bigger?

I'd also be very interested to know this as the pur tech knot looks just like the chubby synth.

Okay I saw on eBay down where sometimes it had sponsor link ad, follow that to Frank's shaving they actually have a pur tec knot in different sizes, 26 millimeter was like $37, and the brush with handles that are followed the link to on alley Express, it said Silvertip and it was like $38 ish, are those the same two knots?

Top Bottom