What's new

Frameback razors

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Check @Polarbeard posts regarding framebacks. He has made some noteworthy posts I believe. He has experience with frameback razors as bears have an affinity for blood.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
10.jpg

Shaves like a hollow , haven't used it in awhile I'll have to dig it out
oh and to answer OP's question yes IMO they are worthwhile for the right price

Thinking about picking one up. Are they worth it?
Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
I depends, do you feel lucky?

I'm curious as well. Sometimes I think of them as an early form of a shavette. Very thin blade.
They are a response to the first truly full hollow razors from Solingen by those that at the time didn't know how to make them.

Check @Polarbeard posts regarding framebacks. He has made some noteworthy posts I believe. He has experience with frameback razors as bears have an affinity for blood.
They are good shavers, but a tang that only is 3 mm wide requires certain skills if you're to avoid giving yourself interesting scars. Then again chics dig scars.

To answer the original question...Yes totally...get one immediately.

I shaved with my George Wostenholm Frame Back just yesterday and it was sublime. My first love will always be wedges or near wedges, but holy heck a good frame back is hard to beat.

There is three main models:
  • The dangerous one, that basically is a very thin blade that has a brass tube attached as a spine. This one has a very thin tang (an extension of the flat blade) that makes it wiggly and potentially dangerous. I usually call this The Early Version.
  • The good one that has a frame that includes the spine and tang with a blade fixed to it. I call this The Late Version.
  • Finally there are some late versions that have removable blades. Don't ever try to remove the blade from those that have fixed blades.
So framback razors comes in two main types that differ quite a lot in shaving characteristics.

Below is a photo of them ordered like above:

20181211_200916.jpg

Top Bottom