What's new

Frameback Friday (+Faux and Rattler)

It's literally been years since I last shaved with one of these, but I decided to shave with it for a week, and so I have. This razor model is as simple as it gets. Basically it's just a stamped out steel with an added tube as a spine. The tang is as thin as the rest of the blade... and still it is an ingenious design and a perfectly functional razor.

It was made decades after that the full hollow ground razors were introduced, not because it is as easy to shave with as those, it isn't, but because it was comparatively cheap. Back in the days more people were poor than today and "poor" meant really poor. A full hollow razor could cost more than a weeks pay and this was a more affordable alternative.

It took me two shaves to get used to how hold it in the best way, but after that the shaves were just as carefree as with any other straight razor. Come to think about it the late 1800's Solingen full hollow luxury razors with a tang covered in rounded ivory (slippery when wet) are far more difficult to shave with.

I hope you don't mind me double posting this in the SOTD thread.
20211030_084626.jpg

It's literally been years since I last shaved with one of these, but I decided to shave with it for a week, and so I have. This razor model is as simple as it gets. Basically it's just a stamped out steel with an added tube as a spine. The tang is as thin as the rest of the blade... and still it is an ingenious design and a perfectly functional razor.

It was made decades after that the full hollow ground razors were introduced, not because it is as easy to shave with as those, it isn't, but because it was comparatively cheap. Back in the days more people were poor than today and "poor" meant really poor. A full hollow razor could cost more than a weeks pay and this was a more affordable alternative.

It took me two shaves to get used to how hold it in the best way, but after that the shaves were just as carefree as with any other straight razor. Come to think about it the late 1800's Solingen full hollow luxury razors with a tang covered in rounded ivory (slippery when wet) are far more difficult to shave with.

I hope you don't mind me double posting this in the SOTD thread.
View attachment 1354620
Beautiful razor, sir. Honestly, though, I don't find my skinny tube spined Dahlgren hard to hold. The MK 30 I just found is actually much scarier for my clumsy fingers!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
St Joanis 45, a small, light rattler ground extremely thinly, and with very hard steel, like a Tornblöm or Berg. It has some pitting, and I worked on that but the steel is just super thin. So I sent it to Alfredo, @Doc226 - with some ivory scales from a pair of. trashed blades hoping one would fit, and one set did. This is not really cosmetically the kind of blade that I’d normally put vintage ivory on, but they were too small to fit most other razors that I have and I actually bought the trashed pair of ‘donors’ for the dressing case that they were in. So it all worked out. It’s super light and handles like an 11/16, just a pleasure to use.

Soap was SMN lathered with a M&F Finest, and a splash of Agua Balsamica finished off frame back Friday.

317D59F7-7087-48BB-BDDF-1043CEB20B63.jpeg

6F2E3B45-2341-4814-B988-FE0021732F65.jpeg

Top Bottom