What's new

Frame back with tapered blade

What about this, a blade on frame back with a secondary bevel or perhaps it should be called tapered blade?
The fish is almost under the frame, perhaps to stay away from the tapered area.

v1.JPG v2.JPG Skärmklipp_a.JPG Skärmklipp_1.JPG

To all B&B members & readers- Happy new year!

Hejsan Stefan! :001_smile
I've never seen one like this. I have no idea why the fermented herring is placed so far up on the blade, which first made me jump to the conclusion that the blade wasn't original. The again "Patent" seems to be centered. The blade is "tapered" which implies that it actually belonged to a frame with a wider spine, bat has been honed with this thinner spine. I am far from certain but to me it looks like the blade and the spine are parts of two different razors. Then again I'm just guessing.:arabia:

Hejsan Stefan! :001_smile
I've never seen one like this. I have no idea why the fermented herring is placed so far up on the blade, which first made me jump to the conclusion that the blade wasn't original. The again "Patent" seems to be centered. The blade is "tapered" which implies that it actually belonged to a frame with a wider spine, bat has been honed with this thinner spine. I am far from certain but to me it looks like the blade and the spine are parts of two different razors. Then again I'm just guessing.:arabia:

Tack Arne!

It seems that the spine have normal thickness. The blade shape seems a bit strange to me. Some picture to compare with another one.
A1Skärmklipp.JPG A3Skärmklipp.JPG A4Skärmklipp.JPG A5Skärmklipp.JPG A6Skärmklipp.JPG IMG_8943.JPG IMG_8945.JPG

It definitely looks thicker than any other frame back blade I’ve seen.

More importantly, how’s it shave?
The camera effect makes it look weird as usual taking at close close distance. The right blade looks more normal "in hand". Haven't honed this yet but know I like to shave with this model.

I thought frame backs have a consistent thickness blade?
That one is obviously a heavier pattern hence the bevel.
Very cool!
I thought so to but took a look now at some frame backs, both with thick and thin tang and the normal design is the blade is tapered all way to the end of blade width.
It is the one to the left that is thin I find weird, it has double tapering or something...Do not seem to be symmetrical either.

It is the one to the left that is thin I find weird, it has double tapering or something...Do not seem to be symmetrical either.

It seems to have a belly although a mild one.
I like the look of the other one, a much thinner wedge frameback without the ridiculous weight of a normal one.

It seems to have a belly although a mild one.
I like the look of the other one, a much thinner wedge frameback without the ridiculous weight of a normal one.

Agree it looks like a belly on one side, almost chisel grind on the blade.
Wonder if frame back blade was grinded with grinding wheel just as other straights?

Top Bottom