What's new

Fragrances without Limonene, Linalool, citrus oils

Recently found out I have an allergy to Limonene, Linalool and other citrus oils. I know these are major components of many fragrances. Wondering if I could get some advice on where to find MSDS's for various fragrances, as well some recommendations for non-citrus based scents.

Thanks,
Matt

Yes I know. From a shave soap perspective I can stick with gourmand scented stuff, which gives me no problems. I've been using Burberry Touch for years and finally realized, after patch testing, that it was giving me the problem. It's good to know what to avoid, which is the easy part.

What to use becomes more difficult when MSDS don't exist for certain things.

Manufacturers Safety Data Sheet. Among other things lists out the specific ingredients in the product.

And because these two ingredients are considered allergens they must be listed by name, not simply ‘fragrance’ for example - although you’ll see that listed as well.

I'm only familiar with Italian Barber's vendor site and there at least, every soap or cream they're selling and i've checked up on, has had an ingredients list.
dave

Recently found out I have an allergy to Limonene, Linalool and other citrus oils. I know these are major components of many fragrances. Wondering if I could get some advice on where to find MSDS's for various fragrances, as well some recommendations for non-citrus based scents.

Thanks,
Matt

It's been a while since your post. Have you tried Stirlings Naked and Smooth (it does have lanolin so be aware).

I've been using that and Dickinson's witch hazel for the past week as I have just been ordered to go frag free by a pretty little nurse practitioner. And since she's pretty I'm going to listen...lol.

Are you certain that you are allergic to all citrus oils? I find that my skin is sensitive to lemon, lime and grapefruit, but I have no issue with orange, mandarin (tangerine), and bergamot. I also find that I can get away with some of the offending scents if they are a minor part of a complex accord.

I would suggest that you purchase samples of soaps in which you are interested and then dab the sample on the inside of your elbow. If you get a reaction there, you will probably get a reaction on your face.

A lot of artisan soapmakers offer unscented versions of their formulas. If your allergic reactions are severe, that might be the safest way to go. Remember also that some people are sensitive to lanolin. If you have tree nut allergies, you might need to be careful with soaps containing oils from tree nuts; although, if the oils are purified properly, there should be no issue.

Top Bottom