What's new

Fragrances That Only You Love

I am wondering if any of you have fragrances that you absolutely love, but which seem to be quite unpopular, are not well-known, or would not have a wide appeal.

A couple of reasons for asking: firstly because there may be some interesting, unconventional blends that would be nice to hear about; and secondly because I guess the likelihood is that these potential gems may not be around for very long and it is of little use to hear about them after they’re gone.

One that I have and adore is Gucci’s Mémoire d’Une Odeur. It is an unusual floral / herbal scent, marketed as unisex but I think most would say it leans more feminine than masculine, and it has a prominent roman chamomile component which is rare in perfumes. It is nothing at all like other Gucci fragrances. It is a gentle and relaxing floral to me, not especially sweet, matches well with many floral shaving soaps (am wearing it over Noble Otter Rawr today), and it is not overpowering or too noticeable for others. As much as I love it I can’t imagine everybody would, and I certainly never see it in stores. I just decided to buy a couple of extra bottles because I just don’t think it will be available forever, even with the Harry Styles advertising campaign - and that’s why I though to start this thread.

Interesting about the Gucci and I can simply never understand the hate for, or polarisation over, Grey Flannel, it's rather nice stuff in the drydown IMO!

For me, the early Guerlain feminines are ALL worth sampling and may well be discontinued soon, considering the current fixation with "trendiness". So definitely Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko in EDP. They are all pretty unisex IMO and would probably be classed as niche nowadays. Givenchy III is another feminine which is totally unisex and also worth sampling.

Another thing I don't get is the reference to many fragrances as "animalic" when they are nothing of the sort to my nose! So current Antaeus, Kouros, Lauder For Men and Azzaro PH are all ones I was expecting not to like but adore, the last two perhaps having a touch of herbal funkiness, but nothing animalic! I actually love that touch of herbal funk and it's wonderfully used in Rogue's Fougere L'Aube, one of my current favourites with a well-balanced costus note. Costus is like the smell of hair when it's just about bordering on getting dirty. Hmm, which one that I wear would I expect a negative comment over? Never had one so I have no idea. Perhaps Lapidus PH?

"Unisex but leaning more feminine" and worth sampling is an absolute masterpiece IMO, Rogue's Champs Lunaires. Too 'soft' even for me to wear and I'm experimenting quite a bit with feminines lately!

I guess everything I wear can be considered unusual by today’s standards…

A couple of months ago I was shopping at a historical perfumery in Milan, and asked the sales person to show me the range of Gentlemen’s British perfumes they had.

She had to go somewhere in the back of the shop to find a knowledgeable guy, who took me to the underground floor of the store and I was pretty much the only one there.

It was desolated. Lots of empty shelves, lots of now discontinued products from brands like Trumper’s, DR Harris, Floris, …

In the world’s fashion capital, I guess not many really are interested in classic perfumes anymore, while I love them

One fragrance that is notoriously difficult to wear is Montale Black Aoud. I only had a sample of that and every time I wore it, I was asked to wash it off by my wife. It smells like death.

Oud oil. Real oil, not an oud perfume. I love them but no one else seems to. I think it's because they are so strong and kind of hard to find just the right amount.
Similar for me, but oud perfumes/colognes as I haven’t got into oils. I love the big middle eastern oud, spicy woody scents and have many. They are an acquired taste for sure.

Similar for me, but oud perfumes/colognes as I haven’t got into oils. I love the big middle eastern oud, spicy woody scents and have many. They are an acquired taste for sure.
I wore one to work one day and everyone thought I was near a campfire. That was the nicest compliment I’ve gotten.

Now I wear it just for myself and sparingly because it’s so concentrated

I wore one to work one day and everyone thought I was near a campfire. That was the nicest compliment I’ve gotten.

Now I wear it just for myself and sparingly because it’s so concentrated
Have you tried MMM Replica By the Fireplace or Jazz Club? Similar vibe but not so in your face. I love both.

Carrera Black EDT. It's about $5 for 100mL locally, and I've never heard anybody talk about it. The notes are black licorice (anise), lavender, talcum powder, and vanilla. It's a masculine cologne, and I get some decent longevity with it. I've gotten a fair share of compliments on it.

For five dollars.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Brut, Denim, Irisch Moos, Hai Karate (if you can find it). Anything old school reminiscent of a Ford Cortina or XR3i.
Can you get any of the really OLD Avon stuff in your area? I'll bet you would love Avon Blend 7.... I have no idea how to describe it.

Edit: I still have a love affair with Brut. Reminds me of my Dad, he never was much of an Old Spice guy.

I think he was a better husband than I.....he wore what Mom liked. He switched to Stetson when that became his Christmas and birthday presents

Last edited:
Can you get any of the really OLD Avon stuff in your area? I'll bet you would love Avon Blend 7.... I have no idea how to describe it.

Edit: I still have a love affair with Brut. Reminds me of my Dad, he never was much of an Old Spice guy.

I think he was a better husband than I.....he wore what Mom liked. He switched to Stetson when that became his Christmas and birthday presents
I don't see if for sale at all here. There are people on Ebay in the US selling it but postage is expensive.

I just found out that Hai Karate has been reintroduced using the original formula. I need to get some.

Top Bottom