What's new

Fragrances in fiction

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The late gumshoe novelist Robert B Parker's most famous character, Spenser (with an 'S' like the poet) regularly used Pinaud Clubman. I haven't read every single Spenser story but Clubman shows up in many of the ones I've read.

At the more posh end of the spectrum, the late JP Donleavy's most iconic character, Sebastian Dangerfield ('The Ginger Man') tells a young woman who isn't pleased with the way his unwashed body smells that she's wrong, and that she's really smelling Floris' New Mown Hay.

Others?

I seem to recall Ian Fleming having Bond mention Balmain's Vent Vert on a lady friend. And there's a reference to some sort of shampoo Bond uses in a later book; I'd have to look it up.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Gamache in Louise Penny's (wonderful) books always smelled of rose water and sandalwood. Also, in one of her more recent ones the identification of a scent is an important element of the plot.

Clarice Starling wore L'Air du Temps in Silence of the Lambs. But not today.

American Psycho: YSL Pour Homme in the shower / cologne cabinet.

Last edited:
Reactions: bjm
Fleming has Bond using some kind of bar soap - can't recall the name but it was some old classic brand that may have begun with a "C". Didn't he also use Pinaud Quinine Elixir shampoo?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
F56602A4-1167-4CF4-BCF8-F693F50895D6.jpeg

The young protagonist in Black Swan Green swipes a few sprays of his father's Givenchy Gentlemen before a school dance and it brings him good luck.

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle:
The mom wears Dior Poison as her perfume. The nanny is allowed to borrow it, which she uses to try to seduce the husband.

In the memoirs I’ve written in an alternate timeline and parallel universe, I was a 6th grader who wore Drakkar Noir to the school dance where I won over the most gorgeous woman in the 7th grade, and lived happily ever after.

Top Bottom