What's new

Fragrance theory and wearer's age

Nobody wants to smell like grandpa, but it seems like a sexy fragrance that smells good on a younger guy might be perceived as gross on an old guy (except maybe too his wife, but that's different). Should fragrances be age appropriate?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I cannot think of any reason for a person of any age to wear any scent they like other than if it offends someone around them. I am 72, and at the moment I am wearing a cologne I wore in the mid-1960s. I still like it, and no one is expressing dislike or astonishment. Maybe when I was seventeen I was wise beyond my years.

Fragrances blur the line of age, as well as gender. That said, I think the appropriateness of a fragrance has some component of age to it, but more about the setting in which the person finds himself--which is often age dependent. I am almost 65. I'm just not doing the things, going to the places where certain "youthful" scents work. I'm not clubbing. And I'm sure a lot of young men aren't doing the things or going to the places where a more "gentlemanly" fragrance is appropriate.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is no "age component" to a fragrance. A fragrance is a fragrance and is only associated with an age if the person smelling it is reminded of someone they knew who smelled similarly.
Tastes differ, body chemistry differs. What "works" on one person may not work on another person of the same age.
What works on one person of a given age could very well work on a person of a vastly different age.
When your kid plays with Play Doh, do you think that's an "old" smell? It was invented in the 1930's so if there are old smells that certainly ought to be one but it isn't, because we don't associate that smell with someone older that we knew.

There is no "age component" to a fragrance. A fragrance is a fragrance and is only associated with an age if the person smelling it is reminded of someone they knew who smelled similarly.
Tastes differ, body chemistry differs. What "works" on one person may not work on another person of the same age.
What works on one person of a given age could very well work on a person of a vastly different age.
When your kid plays with Play Doh, do you think that's an "old" smell? It was invented in the 1930's so if there are old smells that certainly ought to be one but it isn't, because we don't associate that smell with someone older that we knew.
Exactly!

OTOH, I do indeed hope my grandsons associate some particular scents to me, as I still do for my long-passed grandparents. Pleasant and wonderful memories may be triggered by scent; I was never sure of the perfume my paternal grandmother used, it was always in a small unmarked atomizer, but when I smell something like it, it makes me feel comforted and warm inside.

Unfortunately that perception has kept me from ever trying the now true classics I’ve never smelled Old Spice it or anything from the lost era when shaving lost it’s way here. And I know I missed out. Hi Karate? Not a clue and don’t want a PAA dupe kinda missing the point then.
I wouldn’t know what to even try.
Suggestions like trying to find a real Old Spice Shulton soap and AS set? I don’t know any of the Clubman either and use great artisan offerings but would love a good old school set to add. Is it worth the money with today’s selections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Unfortunately that perception has kept me from ever trying the now true classics I’ve never smelled Old Spice it or anything from the lost era when shaving lost it’s way here. And I know I missed out. Hi Karate? Not a clue and don’t want a PAA dupe kinda missing the point then.
I wouldn’t know what to even try.
Suggestions like trying to find a real Old Spice Shulton soap and AS set? I don’t know any of the Clubman either and use great artisan offerings but would love a good old school set to add. Is it worth the money with today’s selections?

There are a lot of well known established scents, and many are looked down upon by some fragrance snobs because they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Aqua Velva is an established brand available almost anywhere. Old Spice made in India, and available from many online shaving retailers such as West Coast Shaving is virtually identical to the Old Spice from Shulton.
Pinaud makes a lot of great scents (in my opinion) but they also make some that turn my stomach.
Experiment with some of the less expensive fragrances and find some you like if they are available.
There is nothing wrong with expensive elite fragrance houses, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the less expensive ones either if you like the way they smell.
If and when you run across a reasonably priced discontinued fragrance that is no longer produced (like Hai Karate) buy it and try it. If you have never smelled it, it is likely that no one in your age group has either. If you like it, great, if not - there is always someone willing to take it off your hands.
I always have my eye peeled for some of the discontinued scents and grab them when they come up from time to time.

There are a lot of well known established scents, and many are looked down upon by some fragrance snobs because they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Aqua Velva is an established brand available almost anywhere. Old Spice made in India, and available from many online shaving retailers such as West Coast Shaving is virtually identical to the Old Spice from Shulton.
Pinaud makes a lot of great scents (in my opinion) but they also make some that turn my stomach.
Experiment with some of the less expensive fragrances and find some you like if they are available.
There is nothing wrong with expensive elite fragrance houses, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the less expensive ones either if you like the way they smell.
If and when you run across a reasonably priced discontinued fragrance that is no longer produced (like Hai Karate) buy it and try it. If you have never smelled it, it is likely that no one in your age group has either. If you like it, great, if not - there is always someone willing to take it off your hands.
I always have my eye peeled for some of the discontinued scents and grab them when they come up from time to time.

I’ll check a couple of them out. I need a new Bay Rum any suggestions? I’ve been using B&M’s Bay for the last couple years would like a bit stronger.
And Indian made new old spice is old spice it’s going to give me a solid representation of it without the headache of trying to get Shulton blind. Thanks for the help!

I agree with the frag snobbery. It doesn’t need to be a car payment to smell good and feel good. There’s a difference between stroking my ego (look at what I spent) and looking good and smelling good. It’s about luxury and personal enjoyment not impressing the office staff. I’m disappointed that I missed out on these when young. I went right to frag houses as a teen and missed splash entirely.

I cannot think of any reason for a person of any age to wear any scent they like other than if it offends someone around them. I am 72, and at the moment I am wearing a cologne I wore in the mid-1960s. I still like it, and no one is expressing dislike or astonishment. Maybe when I was seventeen I was wise beyond my years.
For this statement you're my hero brother @Tirvine 👍👍👌👌☺️☺️

I feel the same way. Some of my first fragrances were YSL Kouros and Davidoff Cool Water, back in the mid 1980s... and guess what? I still love them and enjoy wearing them 35 or so years later.

Couldn't care less what anyone else might think about it. Besides, SWMBO likes both DCW and Bleu de Chanel, so I'm a lucky guy!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’ll check a couple of them out. I need a new Bay Rum any suggestions? I’ve been using B&M’s Bay for the last couple years would like a bit stronger.
And Indian made new old spice is old spice it’s going to give me a solid representation of it without the headache of trying to get Shulton blind. Thanks for the help!

I agree with the frag snobbery. It doesn’t need to be a car payment to smell good and feel good. There’s a difference between stroking my ego (look at what I spent) and looking good and smelling good. It’s about luxury and personal enjoyment not impressing the office staff. I’m disappointed that I missed out on these when young. I went right to frag houses as a teen and missed splash entirely.

I can't help much with a Bay Rum recommendation as it isn't a fragrance I'm taken with.
To me, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum (VIBR) smells like the punch bowl at a Christmas party.
I've heard good things about Captains Choice and Ogallala, but I can't speak personally.
I'm not fond of the clove type scent which is typical of many Bay Rums.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

As noted in another thread, several of us like St. John's bay rum. It has the usual bay and clove but also a pleasant eucalyptus note. It has decent staying power.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The current versions of some of the readily available drug store offerings are working for me. Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer and on the high end (for me) Stetson. I’m familiar with most of these from my youth, my dad and brother used them, so I used them too. Used them then, using some version of them now.

Top Bottom