What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

Second best in Aqua di Parma line is Bergamotto di Calabria. Crisp mouth-watering acidic citrus. Fresh. Very short lasting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20180430_173910.jpg

Don't you ever wish you had more than two hands? Then you would be able to sample more than two perfumes at a time. On my recent trip, I stumbled on a store that had testers of Nasomatto. After sniffing them for a while, I spayed Black Afgano on one wrist and Balmage on the other.

Black Afgano is rather generic rendition of oud. Woody smoky resin. Wasn't able to distinguish any cannabis. Good projection for the first few hours. Lasted overnight on my skin.

Balmage also had oud, but softer. Slightly soapy. Musky. Less projection and longevity than BA.

Both perfumes were very interesting to try but not enough to buy.

Oud Cashmere Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

Imagine opening a bottle of heavily peated Scotch like Laphroaig 10. You pour yourself a drum, take a sip....and choke. Scotch goes into your nose and on your shirt. Now you now how OCM smell like. A huge assaulting blast of peat smoke in the beginning that lasts for almost an hour. Followed by lingering smokiness for half a day with some oud and leather.

It's so hot. Almost 100 degrees. And so very humid.
From the back of my closet I pulled a sample of Gendarme EDT. I bought it 2 years ago in the Fall, tried it, and wasn't too impressed to use it again. Till now...
I remembered this EDT to be quite "soft" and sprayed heavy. Two on the chest, each writs, and on my freshly shaved head. The opening is classic citrus. Neither too acidic or too sweet. Delightfully fragrant. Meyers lemon and bergamot. It's very difficult for my nose to identify the exact notes in this fragrance. Mid notes have some soft white flowers. Overall, this EDT just feels clean. It reminded me of our trip to Provence. We rented a small cottage and hanged our close to dry on the terrace. When I went to sleep, freshly laundered pillow case smelled of soap, sun, and flowers.
The longevity and projection of this fragrance are quite deceiving. It dissipated and then appeared again over and over again. I could still smell it on my skin 24 hours late. At work, I rolled my sleeves under the jacket. Almost 48 hours later, my jacket smells of Gendarme.

This might be a great office summer fragrance. Especially if you walk to work in the summer heat.

So I have been binging on Slumberhouse for the last couple months. Some samples have led to bottle purchases. I'll post a few impressions

I managed to get my hands on a sample of Mare one of their older and discontinued scents. Sometimes I may not like something but I can appreciate it. This is not one of those times. It's just terrible and was an instant scrubber. It smells like a 55 gallon drum of pickles, yuk

Pear & Olive - loved this one, own a bottle now. The pear is apparent and sweet from the start. Not sickening sweet but sweet, very nicely done. A few minutes in the Olive adds a butteryness to the composition and the sweet pear sits on top of the creamy olive and it is a simple joy to wear

Kiste - think of the waning days of summer, eating a peach on your porch in the days last light. That is Kiste to me. Peach, honeyed tobacco. It's on the sweet side but incredibly enjoyable and I find myself able to wear this despite the heat and humidity of summer. Bought a bottle

Baque - the bigger, older, bolder brother of Kiste. From my sample and a few dabs to my wrist I honestly didnt know what to make of Baque. Did I love it? No. Did I hate it? No. Have I smelled anything like it? No. Was my nose absolutely glued to my wrist? Yes. It took me 3 or 4 wearings to wrap my head around Baque and once I did it has vaulted to my top 3 evah. What I get with Baque is a dark room smelling of stewed fruit with a pile waiting to be stewed. Not sweet fruit more like dark, just past ripe on the verge of turning - meant in the best possible way. There is a heaviness and darkness. Add to that tobacco and I'm in heaven. Baque is thick, it is dense but somehow it's not oppressive. Amazing, amazing fragrance. I actually have a backup bottle of this despite the price

Grev - from my sample I put a few dabs on the wrist. Grev was love at first sniff. It's woody (pine) fresh and interesting. Makes me think of shaving on a snow capped mountain next to a stream on the edge of a pine forest. All the notes are in perfect balance, nothing sticks out like a sore thumb, and to me Grev is wearable anytime of the year, any occasion, any place, any time. There is a mint note that I actually like which is amazing because I hate mint. Now own a bottle

I'll do a few more soon

Top Bottom