What's new

Fragrance Oils, anyone use them?

As I was reading around on the net some I saw some fragrance oils that are supposed to be much better than the colognes you buy at the store in the fancy bottle. I saw that they can last longer, smell stronger, and are much cheaper. All you have to do is add something like an alcohol to the mixture and apply.

I am curious if anyone does this? Is it way to Potent? Does it cause any burn or irritation because I read also that you aren't supposed to apply certain oils dirrectly to skin (assume why you add alcohol)?

I saw that Sue offers these oils also so maybe she would chime in to help out here.

I am curious.

There is the Fragrance shop in New Orleans and near Lincoln Mall in Miami. You can order sample dram vials on line. You apply the oil to the pulse points ie wrists, back of the neck and the body heat releases the fragrance. Most oils are added to a base oil such as almond or grapeseed oil. Pure essential oils will burn the skin. The oils last longer and are economical in the long run, no filler such as alcohol and water as is in our fragrances. The Body Shop has oils such as sandalwood, patchouli and at one time Activist for Men, while other places such as the Fragrance SHop carry perfume oil. Look online under essential or perfume oils and you'll have a field day.

You are really not supposed to use these neat directly on your skin... remember these will melt plastic and remove the finish from your fine wood furniture... come on over and check out my end tables!!

You can mix them with a carrier oil and then apply with a roll on, or mix with water, alcohol or both and use in a spray bottle. You will want to let these sit for a few weeks and shake them up every now and then. When using water it is recommended to add polysorbate 20 as an emulsifier, but it is not necessary if you don't mind shaking them up before using.

Synthetic fragrances are well known to last much longer than natural ones. Any natural perfume will need to be reapplied every few hours, but it can be well worth it! If you want staying power, you have to use the synthetics....

This is just a quick note, I am sure there are others who have much more to say!!

Bear Hugs!

Sue,

Do you know of any research that compares the effects of using synthetics or natural oils?

Are there any general agreements that one is better ("healthier") than the other?

Personally, I find it agreeable that natural fragrances tend to disipate with time. There just seems to be something more natural and alluring with a scent that is ephemeral.

(I also find it disagreeable to see fake flowers at gravesides. I know that this doesn't have anything to do with natural oil fragrances, but the concept is the same.)

-joedy

Top Bottom