What's new

Fragrance Journey

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My only Aftershave and Cologne for 30+ years (wore it every day) was Original Stetson. It still matches my body chemistry better than anything else I've tried.

Since coming to B&B, it's been fun exploring a variety of different fragrances (Aftershaves, Colognes). Now I'm just as likely to wear Pinaud Clubman products (especially Lilac Vegetal, Whiskey Woods, Special Reserve and the like), the wonderful Bootlegger's potions and a couple of drugstore products like Classic Brut and Aqua Velva Musk.

I have also found that layering compatible Aftershaves and Colognes can provide a result greater than the sum of the parts.

Been a lot of fun. :)

So my "journey" has been a bit different. Prior to shaving, I wasn't really wearing much fragrance. When I started out, I went with very classic fragrances and then quickly branched out into soap/AS combos, many of which were quite potent. In the last 6 months, I have realized that I MUCH prefer the more understated, classic scents I originally favored and will be adjusting my soap buys and AS buys accordingly.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What does original Stetson smell like ?
I'm sure that I have caught a whiff of it in the past .

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What does original Stetson smell like ?
I'm sure that I have caught a whiff of it in the past .

This is how it's described: "A Western Original, Stetson Original Cologne is a confident, classic scent of the American West with rich, woodsy, citrus spice & notes of bergamot & musk."

My Bride's loves it when I wear Stetson. I get more complements when I wear Stetson than any other Cologne. :)

Switching to shaving with creams and soaps definitely inspired me to try out more fragrances. For years I’d been a one or two fragrance guy relying on ones I’d been bought as gifts. I initially sought out ones with prominent sandalwood notes and then curiosity got the better of me!

I'm on step 3/4. I've come to the realization that I would like to try fragrances. Since I started wet shaving, I've been trying all sorts of new soaps and creams. That lead me to a couple aftershaves. That lead me to this sub forum about a week ago.

Let me tell you, trying to learn about fragrances from the internet is a lot like reading a book about how to ride a bike. I know I should probably wait until the stores open back up, but reading the threads here, well, yeah.

A few weeks ago I picked up my first bottle of Stetson, the Cooling Moisture AS (different than the regular AS). Pretty good, but it's extremely light in scent strength. I plan on checking out the cologne, and maybe the regular AS.

I paired it with Geo F Trumper's Spanish Leather cream, and it should go well with Dr Jon's Runaway soap.

Stetson.jpg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Any favorite pairings you have? I like Gillette Cool Wave & Drakkar Noir together.

Several that work for me:

Aftershave: Electric Sheep
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

Aftershave: Reuzel
Cologne: Classic Match version of Polo Supreme Oud

Aftershave: Floïd
Cologne: Lagerfeld Classic EdT

Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Cologne: Classic Match Blue Eau de Toilette Spray (Polo Blue clone)

Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Cologne: Aqua Velva Musk

Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Clubman Special Reserve

Aftershave: Floïd
Cologne: Havana

Aftershave: Stetson Cooling and Moisturizing
Cologne: Original Stetson

YMMV :)

Top Bottom