What's new

Fragrance etiquette

Hi, Gents -

I note when chaps speak of fragrance, there are 2 characteristics that seem most important to them:

• robustness
• long-life

I kept these characteristics in mind when I formulated B & B Cologne.

I also kept in mind fragrance etiquette, which most chaps seem to know nothing about.

When you step into society, regardless of the setting or the purpose, there are certain "rules" that apply. For example, I like to eat French Fries with my fingers; it's a habit that comes forward from my youth, when I use to buy a bag of french fries at the local YMCA for lunch. However, in public, it is a no-no to eat with one's fingers. Yeah, I know in today's liberal society, there don't seem to be any no-no's, but in polite society, there are. Regarding fragrance "robustness", it is impolite to wear a fragrance that enters a room before you; that is, it is impolite to wear a STRONG fragrance. A prime example why it's impolite can be understood while approaching any fragrance counter in a department store. You smell the counter long before you arrive and you're usually making faces as you approach. This gives you an idea of what someone else could be experiencing should you decide to broadcast yourself with a particularly robust cologne. Imagine going out to a fine restaurant and having someone at the table with a obnoxiously loud fragrance ... especially if it's a fragrance YOU can't stand! Imagine going to the theater and having someone near you wearing what comes across to you as "Eau de Bilge"! So you see, a robust (strong) fragrance is bad manners. I believe for most men the notion that robustness is important stems from the way commercial fragrances are advertised; that is, it is always strongly implied you wear fragrance to attract the opposite sex, consequently you've got to get that fragrance out there. In fact, fragrance is not worn for others, it is worn for the wearer (sounds redundant, but you get the point). The purpose of fragrance is to excite YOU, not others, because if you're trying to wear a fragrance that will satisfy everyone you come in contact with, no such fragrance exists. Still, wearing a fragrance can make you more attractive to others; for those who don't believe this, then I suggest they apply a fragrance they despise, and wear it all day, then tell me it did not make them less attractive. Fragrance definitely influences your attitude.

As for fragrance long-life, this is extremely difficult to achieve working with natural essential oils. Most EO's have a tendency to burn off quickly with the warmth of the body. This is especially true with citrus fragrances. So as a general rule, any cloying fragrance (one that's difficult to wash off) is very likely not made with 100% essential oils. This said, I truly understand the dissatisfaction one feels spending a fair amount of money on a fragrance, only to have it disappear in 5 minutes. In any case, with B & B Cologne I believe I have managed to give it excellent life. I put some on last night after my bath, and I still pick up a slight hint of it this morning. That is incredible life for a fragrance derived totally from essential oils.

I believe B & B Cologne has been formulated to meet the standards of fragrance etiquette and to meet most gents desire for long-life. Now it is up to YOU to decide if the actual scent is exciting.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D

Hey guys, Will there be a stick to go along with the new B&B fragrance? Looks great. Wish we had a barber like Giancarlo up here in the mountains!

Max

Charles,

Excellent post, and it is wonderful to see you posting here!

I agree with your comments completely. My belief is that no one should be smelling your fragrance unless they are very close to you, such as your significant other. The most delightful fragrances are the ones that you get occasional hints of from time to time as you move, get warmer, etc., but don't have a constancy about them. Subtlety is a characteristic our society has let slip by, much to my chagrin.

I can't wait to try out the B&B scent.

Charles, I just want to add my agreement with what you have said. I am in particular agreement with your comment regarding the advertisement of commercial fragrances. Television advertisements for things like Axe body spray imply that once you have practically bathed in the stuff you will be an irresistable sex stallion for women who previously were uninterested in being even the most casual of acquaintances. Undoubtedly there are men who think that the more they wear the greater chance they have to score with every woman in a room; even the ones about forty feet away.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this new cologne and am hopeful that you will be able to offer the associated shave soap in both a jar and shave stick form.

Jamie

I have personally had far more experience with men's fragrance than I have with wetshaving. Charles makes some very good points as usual. However, I'd like to point out that the projection of a fragrance, i.e., its "sillage", is not necessarily in bad taste. It depends entirely on the fragrance, the setting and the level of projection. Obviously, bathing in a gallon of Canoe before going into a crowded movie theater is not a good idea. However, applying a generous amount of Creed Green Irish Tweed before a cocktail party is entirely appropriate.

While I wear fragrance primarily for myself, I also wear it so that others in my immediate vicinity will be able to pick up on it. The idea is not to anmnounce one's presence before entering a room, but to allow those next to you to notice how wonderful you smell once you're there. It is admittedly a fine line.

That having been said, I would love to try a sample of the QED fragrance as soon as possible!

- Brad

Brad -

I use to apply my Hamman Bouquet like an after bath splash, it was so well made [haven't had it in a few years so I don't know about the current formulation]. Yes, if a fragrance is well-made, it usually can be applied liberally.

I still feel a fragrance should not project itself much beyond your nose, for the reasons stated.

It wasn't my purpose to cover every aspect of fragrance wearing; I just wanted chaps to be aware - in my opinion - there is such a thing as fragrance etiquette.

Charles
Q E D

Brad, your statements bring to mind nightclubs. Smoky, crowded and babes galore :biggrin: . Of course it's been awhile since I have been to one. My wife doesn't let me go :302: .

I agree that it’s a very fine line we walk. Each morning when we pull the triggers, pump the pumps, splash the splash, we risk being offensive to others by our good smelling nature. I've been highly sensitive to scent molecules flying off my person since i started taking trains and subways. There is absolutely nothing worse than when the guy with some vile stuff on sits next to me. I don't know what's worse, the smell, or the thought that the cutie behind me thinks it is really me who smells like that. It's clear that the most offensive have no clue what they're doing. I've always believed that if you can smell me from across my desk, I've applied to much. Perhaps a whiff when i pass by, that’s my goal...a goal that was not achieved today. Ah well, at least I’m in the office.

Nighttime after exercise and shower is another matter, however.

I prefer scents that stay close and don't wander for daytime/work use. Citrus/lavender scents work the best for me in that regard. Certain vetivers stay very close as well. I tend to purchase aftershave versions more than edt for that reason as well.

That being said, i could smell Tabac all day long and be happy. Too bad my clients don’t agree

Nicely said Charles,

I find being around someone with an overpowering fragrance, even those I enjoy, usually give me a headache. When out hiking, it's much more exciting to get just a hint of scent from the different elements of nature rather than a full bore snout full. The same goes for fine wine and tobacco.

Rik

Well stated Charles.

Can you tell us what % of Essential Oils has been used in this product ? Is it Cologne, EDC, Parfum or EDP strength according to std perfumery guidelines ? And, what is the size/package type/price ? I am assuming this is 100% EO in an alcohol based diluent as opposed to 100% EO in a carrier oil base.

Thanks,
Chris

What Charles is really tellling us is "common sense". Just use common sense! I work with the public and I want the scent I wear to "almost" be there, i.e., definitely be in the background. One thing to remember when "loading on" the cologne. Some people are allergic. Some people are SEVERELY allergic.

Randy

Well said Charles. One of the reasons that I'll often skip cologne, or just wave the bottle in front of me (did someone say dry martini?) is out of fear of terrorizing other's olfactory nerves.

I had a very nice dinner this evening in a great restaurant that we go to on occasion, but it was almost ruined because one of the neighboring diners just reeked of perfume.

You just gotta hate the old lady who buys her fragrances by the gallon at the dime store, and bathes in it before leaving home. How do you know when you are wearing too much cologne? When others can taste it from 3 feet away!

Randy

Chris:

25%, which probably classifies B & B Cologne as perfume intensity ... in a proprietary perfumer's alcohol (I am not overly keen on carrier oils). By the bye guys, the word "perfume" describes a certain percentage of essential oil to alcohol (actually the highest percentage), it does not mean the fragrance is intended for women. It is somewhat important to know the class of a fragrance (aftershave, cologne, toilet water, perfume) because it is supposed to tell you the approximate percentage of essential oil it contains. This is important to understand the cost. So, in theory, if the same fragrance is done in an aftershave, cologne, toilet water, perfume: the cologne will cost more than the aftershave; the toilet water will cost more than the cologne; the perfume will be the most expensive. Aftershave contains the least essential oil, perfume the most. But note I said in "theory", because I am not convinced all toiletry makers follow the "rules" of scent class when naming their fragrances. Oh, yeah, one other important item, it is also useful to know the actual essential oils used in a fragrance when evaluating price; some essential oils are relatively inexpensive, others are extremely expensive. For example, B & B Cologne contains a high percentage of genuine Sandalwood essential oil ... which isn't cheap! There are many fragrances on the market that are based either in whole or part on synthetic oils. Synthetics are mainly used because they are cheaper (in some cases, like sandalwood, significantly cheaper) than the genuine essential oils. Snythetics are also used because they have a longer life. But synthetics can never come close to the olfactory joy giving by a natural essential oil. Also, with synthetics, you are unable to know your true feelings about a particular scent ... synthetic Sandalwood is nothing like essential oil of Sandalwood.

Charles
Q E D

Top Bottom