What's new

Foxhole Shavers Club

I've shaved with desert sand, Baltic ice, and everything in between. I'm an Airborne 12B and proud to call myself a Sky Soldier. I've also been a mechanized Dog Face Soldier. I've been active duty the past 15 years and wish I had been wet shaving all of them.

I've shaved with desert sand, Baltic ice, and everything in between. I'm an Airborne 12B and proud to call myself a Sky Soldier. I've also been a mechanized Dog Face Soldier. I've been active duty the past 15 years and wish I had been wet shaving all of them.
Welcome to the club! Essayons.

I'm in...USMC, Retired, 1997-2014. Worst shave...all of them, I hated shaving for a long, long time! Worst of the worst was with soap, sand, "moon" dust and a single blade bic in the middle of BFE, Iraq. Thank God for the alcohol content in hand sanitizer for a good post shave, LOL! If all else, it helped sanitize the cuts on my face :/ and burnt like no tomorrow!

Hey all! Just checked out on terminal leave after 8 years in the USN sumbarine service as a nuke ET. My eaos is July 8 and we are excited about our upcoming adventures!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Howdy troop, welcome! I spent two years and a couple of months with 3/8 cav, as an FO. My MOS was 13 Foxtrot. I worked closely with a lot of scouts. Some real go-getters. Again, welcome.
HooAhh!
I spent 1 1/2 years with 4/4 FA at Fort Sill, 2 1/2 years with 2/83 FA in Babenhausen, Germany as a 13 Bravo, Cannon Crewmember. Tell me where 2 drop 'em. I'll lob some 8" rounds in there :a33:

I'll need a 13 Echo to tell me which way to point it though :)

FWIW: Veterans Disability Compensation claims have nothing to do with the VA Hospital. It will get you in to the hospital once you have an active claim but the compensation part is totally separate. And you don’t need to have a compensation claim to get into the VA Hospital but you still need to prove your issues are service related. And as long as your that far along you may be entitled to compensation.

A good place to start is your local Legion hall or VFW. Call you don’t need to join or anything just give them a call and the commander or secretary can put you in touch with someone willing to work with you locally. BTW you don’t make a disability compensation claim at the VA you have to do it on line now since the internet, here’s a link: How to Apply - Compensation

If a Compensation claim is turned around (from a “no” answer) there will be back pay, paid out from the original claim date. I’ve learned through the years “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” especially for a service connected illness. If you do get “NO” You can then contact a “FREE” Government Patient Advocate at: Patient Advocate - Veterans Health Administration

Don't need a service related injury to get in the VA, if you don't have health insurance. And I think you can even with health insurance, but then they work out payments, etc. with your insurance carrier. I don't know the particulars with insurance.

Without insurance, fill out some forms, etc. It then counts as having insurance for the tax refund ding under ObamaCare.

Within a month I had my first doctor appointment, had Metformin, Lisinopril, Atorvastatin, Glipizide, and Gabapentin prescriptions, along with a blood glucose tester, strips, alcohol swabs, and lancelets.

Within 3 months I had external hearing aids(because I don't own a smartphone), eyeglasses, and a spare set of glasses.

The spare set of glasses costs $30-35. That was my total cost.

I filled the forms out Oct. 2017. So the info is pretty current.

My service time was 1983-87, no disabilities, honorable discharge.

Not a member as I've never served in the military, but I thought you would all appreciate this.

We buried a family friend yesterday. He was 89, and suffered from Altzheimer's and has been slipping away for a few years. He was born in Poland (in what is now part of the Ukraine) in 1929, and lied about his age so the Germans took him instead of his sister for forced labor in 1943. In 1946, as a displaced person, he was offered the opportunity to either go back home or to immigrate to the US, and since his father had been here before the war and his aunt lived in Cinncinatti, he came to the US speaking nearly no English (but German, Polish, and Russian).

Eventually he joined the Army, and served in Korea after he got married in 1951 (a month after my parents did) to a local girl. Came home with a number of campaign ribbons, one with three stars, as a heavy machine gunner. Unknown to his family until it was discovered by his son-in-law while preparing his uniform for display for the funeral home, he was the recipient of a Bronze Star -- being the humble man he was he put it behind the lapel so it didn't show.

After he came home, Congress passed the law allowing foreigners who serve in the US Armed Forces to become citizens, he became a US Citizen, and with the help of his wife got a couple associate's degrees in engineering and worked as a machinist until retirement.

Great guy. Raised a family and was a big contributor to our church, and it turns out a real American hero. Color guard and 21 gun salute, which he richly deserved.

Thanks for the service guys, it's what keeps us free.

My older brother served and I served in 1968-69 with the 82nd Airborne. Proud of my wings. My grandparents came to this country in 1903. My uncle died crossing the Rhine in WWII and was awarded the silver star. My grandmother came from Russia and told us that even though she lost her only son, never forget Freedom isn't Free, there is a terrible price that has been paid and will be paid so we can live in such a wonderful country.

I am currently on active duty in the United States Navy. I have been in 19 years, just discovered wetshaving almost a year ago. I wish I had been using all this great stuff since before I came in. At any rate, I have shaved in the desert, onboard a ship and anywhere else I have been.

I am currently on active duty in the United States Navy. I have been in 19 years, just discovered wetshaving almost a year ago. I wish I had been using all this great stuff since before I came in. At any rate, I have shaved in the desert, onboard a ship and anywhere else I have been.

That's where I learned too! From an old salty dog, I ribbed him for about a month until he said: "try it!" I did, and it forever changed me, not kidding, I loved it so much I made it a primary hobby. Loved my hobby so much I went out and started a business! A lot of people told me that it will ruin my job and hobby but it did just the opposite. Still love my hobby =)

US Marine, nine years and counting. So many terrible shaves, it’s hard to narrow it down. Sub freezing temps in the pitch dark before stepping off on patrol, rocking sea states, using as little water as possible due to shortages in the desert.... all “pleasant” memories. Some of the worst shaves were at OCS when the DIs made us shave at night and I made the unfortunate mistake to think that meant I didn’t have to shave in the morning. Boy was I wrong. After some tender loving correction from the DIs: there I was, scraping my face with a dull Mach 3, cold water, and no shave cream or ASB, twice a day. The blood and tears did make for an acceptable after shave [emoji23]. During the earlier years when I carried everything on my back, I normally just used an electric or maybe a M3 with a small travel size of Barbasol. Nowadays I’m pretty much relegated to tent city, so I run a Parker with astra sp, la toja shave stick, razorock plisoft synthetic brush, and Proraso ASB. I got a two pass CCS that bordered on DFS this morning shaving out of my canteen cup, and in less than ten minutes. I do always keep at least one cartridge/disposable in my field shave kit for mornings that I’m extremely short on time and only going for that SAS.

Some of the best field shaves I’ve ever had were at Arta Beach, Djibouti with a M3, whatever shave cream the Navy had stocked before I debarked the ship, and Nivea ASB. Those ten minutes shaves overlooking the water were maybe the only things that kept me sane during that period of my life (it wasn’t a rough deployment, most of the stress was caused from turmoil back home).

Top Bottom