What's new

Fox 44 Score Today, have some questions.

Finally got my hands on a Thuri today after a few non starts. I picked up this nice sized Fox No. 44. I saw a few other posts but if anyone has any other issue on this brand please do share. I am excited as it looks pretty pristine and has its matched rubber. A few quesions;
- What color did I score? Looks greenish to me. Any good reference on the color / differences of Thuris. Does color matter?
- It is smooth and glassy, and seems flat. Should I attempt to lap it? If so what is the correct process for a Thuri?
- it seems glued into its box, do you hone with water and slurry in this?
- if I wanted to take it out of the box any good advice on how to remove without damaging either the box or stone?
- any other words of wisdom in care or use?

Thanks in Advance
Greazy
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Those are incredible stones and are usually yellow green. The feed back is second to none on these things. Nice score.

I've had three I can remember, maybe 4.

All were y/g... though one was borderline LG.

All were very soft stones.

Really nice desirable Y/G. Wish they came in 10x2" size.

Don't lap it. Waste of time.

Leave it in the box.

I never bothered with slurry, but it does come with a slurry stone if you want to obviously. Your call.

Wash it off after use and let it air dry before closing the box.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
if I wanted to take it out of the box any good advice on how to remove without damaging either the box or stone?
I took one out of the box and wished I hadn’t. The glue is strong and a lot of the wood came off stuck to the stone. They are awkward to use with the hinged lid, my solution was to carefully pop the hinges off (they’re just held in with tiny little nails) so I could hold the stone comfortably in my hand. Just don’t lose the hinges.

Yeah, when I used mine, I worked out a tiered support through stacking a couple magazines/books that held the lid a tiny bit higher than the base. Not easy and requires a lot of desk space. Taking off the hinge, putting it in a small ziplock and taping it to the lid or putting it in a drawer you won't forget sounds like a good long term solution to make it easier to use while minimizing damage/risk of losing parts.

I always preferred the lift off lids vs the hinged lids for hones.

I always remove wood from a hone no matter what it is.
I don't think you would lose any value at all in having it come out. Labels are there and in tact.
I would check to see if its easily removed and go from there.
I would not risk damage to a hone on something like that where the box does have value.
Where stones are glued to bases that are not boxes I have sawn them off and discarded the wood.

Top Bottom