thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (8)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by about two minutes waterboarding with shave binky
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: olive oil

I was supposed to be using a different razor with this blade last night, but plan well enough. Oh no, another gentle, efficient MMOC shave in the books. Poor me…. It was awesome.

OBIF'23 Shave # 6
Monday, 6th Feb'23

Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley 'C' plate
Blade : Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum black (6)
Brush: Shavemac 2-band silvertip
Soap : Cella red kilo block
After Shave: Nivea Aftershave lotion.

Changed the razor to the Karve CB with the SB C plate. I guess the added rigidity would help protect the blade edge as it cuts the stubble firmly. The CB 'B' and 'C' plates are in the Goldilocks zone for me. An excellent 2-pass shave with well hydrated Cella lather. The blade has not lost its sharpness yet.

View attachment 1601390
I have been secretly lusting after the Karve with the SB B and C plates. Nearly put it as an exception in the yearlong restraint. I have enough nice razors that I think I can make it at least until next year. Still???

OBif Shave 1-7

Likely my last picture in this tread for the month. I am keeping the same kit.

The blade is getting dull. I suspect we will finish the month with it but if not for the OBiF I would change it now.

IMG_20230203_084725877.jpg

OBIF'23 Shave # 7
Tuesday, 7th Feb'23

Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley 'C' plate
Blade : Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum black (7)
Brush: Shavemac 2-band silvertip
Soap : Razorock Blue Fougere shave soap
After Shave: Nivea Aftershave lotion.

I made change in the shave soap today to break the monotony. I have been trying to finish a big block of Razorock Blue Fougere croap for the past few winters.

The shave felt a bit rough today leaving some patches on the neck which needed extra cleanup. This gave some irritation on the neck area. I am not too sure if the blade sharpness was an issue or the slickness of the soap. Cella Red is supremely slick compared to the RR soap.

I guess I will drop down to the B plate on the CB razor tomorrow with 0 mm blade exposure and move back to Cella Red and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My findings exactly. I Start with the R89 (or DE89) and move to more aggressive gaps as the blade wears.
It is a great way to prolong the life of a blade starting with mild razors and working my way up in aggression. My plan this time out is start with the R89, then move on briefly to the Rockwell 6C and then the Rocca. Next I will move on to the Lupo 95 and finally the R41. Personally I'm not sure I'll get past the Rocca in only 28 days.

Razor: Blue Tip Super Speed
Blade: Feather (7)
Brush: Semogue boar
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Cold water rinse

After a week going strong with a great shave. I'm using mild razors at first and keeping with a shallow angle. That angle helps with blade longevity I think. As a disclaimer I don't shave my chin and upper lip. That also makes blades last longer. ;>)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Another ARKO-SHARKO day with another synthetic brush from Simpsons. No way this Shark Chrome makes it to the 28th.

View attachment 1602040
Wouldn't be my choice of blade for an endurance test, but it does keep shaving interesting, kinda like fire breathing whilst juggling flaming torches. You hope you don't mess up because if you do it'll be a doozy.

Van Der Hagen ice tempered SS (5)
Gillette ‘Black Beauty’ adjustable, set to 4
Vie Long Horse
Mitchell’s Wool Fat, face lathered
Clubman Pinaud Reserve Brandy Spice after shave

Two days growth having skipped Sunday's shave. Only two changes...the blade setting adjustment set to 4 and new splash.

The increase was almost to my peril. I believe my beloved first razor ever has been whacked awry. For over thirty years of its use, I knew nothing about caring for a razor. Years of tumbling around my travel ditty bag, getting knocked off sinks and shelves, I shouldn't be surprised the alignment is off.

Time for elevation to bathroom decor, or refurbishment.

I have another Black Beauty (3 actually) that I'll be shaving with tomorrow, a P-2, and if the OG is misaligned, it should be fairly noticeable.\
VDH Ice Tempered (6)

Same setup as yesterday, except for the "newer" BB Adjustable. Shave was fine. A setting for 4 was a bit aggressive for a daily shave, but milder than my other 109.

So, one lesson learned from this challenge, or at least a confirmation that will help my shaves moving forward.

One Blade In Fruity February

Back to my favorite soap brand. I decided to go back to my second favorite Gillette, the New LC. It’s fun to shave with, but doesn’t get quite as close as my Tech. I shouldn’t have tried to match the quality, I got a couple of weepers trying.

Prep: hot water and moisturizer soap wash alternating with steam treatment.
Blade: Feather, shave #208
Razor: Gillette New LC
Soap: Mike’s Natural Lime
Lathers: Three and a half.
Results: CCS+

OBiF shave #7

After last night's experience (3 nicks), I loaded the Gillette Goal Super Platinum (7) into my Gillette Tech with a 3D printed Henson base plate. And, playing it safe, I went withARKO! and my Omega 49 boar brush. While not an exception close shave, at least there was no blood, and my face had an opportunity to heal.

I noticed that the back side of the blade says "new improved stainless." Curious since the wrapper says it's a super Platinum blade.

2023-02-07 21.03.47-1.jpg

Date08.02.2023
365 days of shaving39/365 (100%)
GRUYERE39/365 (100%)
GRUME February08/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes2.5
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (2)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~29 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A second run of the Ti95SCL with the Tiger. And again a very nice and enjoyable shave. No irritations, weepers or similar mishaps.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

OBIF'23 Astra SP (7/28)

Cream: EOS Ultraprotect Blue Surf
Razor/Blade:
Head/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - #164 Goodwill w/ Astra SP (7/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Epsilon Blue Mediterranean
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
full

10/10

Love this little razor. The handle is the complete opposite of the magnum. Short, thin, and light. Makes the Goodwill very top heavy. I guess I prefer that over handle heavy.

The shave was great as always. Not the most comfortable but super efficient and so easy to get around everything.

Van Der Hagen ice tempered SS (7)
Gillette ‘Black Beauty’ adjustable, set to 3
Balea Boar
Mitchell’s Wool Fat, face lathered
Guess Seductive Homme Blue after shave

Milestone of sorts...one week of shaves down in the books. Only changed brush and blade adjustment setting down to 3 on my BB. Blade still providing close, two-pass shaves.

Top Bottom