What's new

FOURTEENTH ANNUAL One Blade in February Challenge 2023 Edition

Lucky 13. I'm in with a Bic Chrome Platinum

1) Mike M Personna - Med-Prep
2) hopper_64 - Gillette Nacet
3) InkStainedWretch
4) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
5) bjm - Gillette Perma-Sharp
6) LJBraaten - Feather Hi Stainless (subject to revision)
7) Tjsgarden - Astra Platinum
8) Owen Bawn- Arko-Sharko
9) Steelerfan - Personna Lab Blue
10) Azariphale - Kai Titan
11) jason2 - Astra SP
12) Alum Ladd - Israeli Production Personna Red
13) sjblon - Bic Chrome Platinum

I’m in!
3) InkStainedWretch
4) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
11) jason2 - Astra SP
14) awk_m4 - Gillette Platinum

I’m in!
3) InkStainedWretch
4) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud

3) InkStainedWretch
4) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud
16) PLANofMAN - Gillette Super Blue

Thought about entering with a Rolls, but that would feel like cheating. I'll be the first one this month to enter with a vintage carbon blade.

I'll even try to avoid using a shake sharp razor to add a bit of a challenge. I will be using a twinplex stropper. Let the games begin.

3) InkStainedWretch
4) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud

Thought about entering with a Rolls, but that would feel like cheating. I'll be the first one this month to enter with a vintage carbon blade.

I'll even try to avoid using a shake sharp razor to add a bit of a challenge. I will be using a twinplex stropper. Let the games begin.
Very cool!!

I'm in, with a mostly unknown blade - I tried one and got 17 shaves before I got bored with it, but it still had legs.

3) InkStainedWretch
4) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud
17) @c__port - Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum (2016)

It proved more difficult to decide on a blade than it should have been. The majority of my blades are capable of shaving a month, or longer. And then are the ones I know perform poorly for me. However, squirreled away in one box was this lone tuck:
C555BE19-66FC-44C1-A3CC-B9879BCF746C.jpeg

February will soon be upon us and that means that it's time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!".

Last year I only got to arrange it at the last moment so I thought I would give people plenty of time to sign up this year.

In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance so it's not necessary to use a magical blade.

Regular participants will already know the rules but I'll just repost the original rules for everybody.

To enter just name your blade and add yourself to the list. Reviews of shaves are of course optional.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a contest so feel free to post whatever method or gizmo you use to extend the life of your blade. Are you a hand stropper, use alcohol (to clean your blade, drinking alcohol and putting a sharp blade to your throat probably not the best combo) magic incantations or just old fashioned wiping the blade.

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

Good luck and have fun!!!
With the blades i have stockpiled, why would i want to "preserve" one???:) If that were the case I would jettison all of the "modern" junk, and just go back to a straight !!!! Respectfully out!!! Good luck with your blood drive :)

With the blades i have stockpiled, why would i want to "preserve" one???:) If that were the case I would jettison all of the "modern" junk, and just go back to a straight !!!! Respectfully out!!! Good luck with your blood drive :)
I've never understood the idea that using a blade with a few shaves on it leads to blood. In my experience, blades are like shoes. You have to be careful with the first uses since performance is changing dramatically. That can give you blisters with shoes and nicks/weepers with blades. Once they are broken in, they have high performance and comfort. At the end of life, you may be back to blisters or nicks/weepers. For the blades I use most often, the second and third weeks are great. Consistent performance that doesn't change on every stroke, unlike a blade fresh from the wrapper. Not sure what is changing in the first few shaves, if the coating is wearing off or if the blade is smoothed by stropping on my face, but I am always glad to get through them.

... unlike a blade fresh from the wrapper. Not sure what is changing in the first few shaves, if the coating is wearing off or if the blade is smoothed by stropping on my face, but I am always glad to get through them.

I have the same experience - the two worst shaves for almost every blade are the first and the last.

One way of reducing the first-shave discomfort for me is to cork the blade. IP red, Rockwell, Vikings Blade, and Bic Platinum Chrome all work better if corked.

Yeah, I just don't understand this one... Why spend a small fortune on a multitude of great razors then try to milk out a 8 to 20 cent blade for a month? 4 or 5 shaves is as far as I'm willing to go. That's still pennies a shave and I've got at least 400 Astra SP blades and waaaaay more than that of Personna Lab Blues stockpiled for when they (inevitably :cursing:) stop making them in USA. But that's just me, I started hoarding what I like ever since the plandemic. When is the same pair of unwashed underwear or socks for a month challenge? LOL j/k Whatever floats your boats though, good luck with it and have fun! :letterk1:

Have you seen the blade and count thread? There's someone on there with a feather with well over 100 shaves on it. Heck my grandfather wouldn't change out the blade until it was rusting. Why ask why I guess.

Reading the rules, this is one of the lightest challenges. I participated last year and the scope of my challenge was to stick to one blade manufacturer. In my case I used Feather blades exclusively. I don't recall using the same blade more than twice. Sticking to one blade type for one month is a big challenge for me. :)

Rules 3 and 4 rule the day. :)

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

3) InkStainedWretch
4) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud
18) Dog Whiskerer - Van Der Hagen Ice Tempered Stainless Steel
19) Vraad - Schick Plus Platinum from the late 80's in a trio of krona and pre-kronas

last one clocked in around 26 shaves and I could have gone longer so should be a cake walk. gonna use my triforce of schick DE's to make it a retro match up.

Last edited:
Why not - lets see where this can take me. Haven’t used this one in quite a while. I think summer holidays maybe.

Thanks for hosting this one @Mike M

01) Mike M Personna - Med-Prep
02) hopper_64 - Gillette Nacet
03) InkStainedWretch
04) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
05) bjm - Gillette Perma-Sharp
06) LJBraaten - Feather Hi Stainless (subject to revision)
07) Tjsgarden - Astra Platinum
08) Owen Bawn- Arko-Sharko
09) Steelerfan - Personna Lab Blue
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud
19) Vraad - Schick Plus Platinum from the late 80's in a trio of krona and pre-kronas
20) Guido75 - Tiger Platinum
21)

In.

03) InkStainedWretch
04) Chef455 - Feather 🪶
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud
21) FoolishMortal - Gillette Nacet

Yeah, I just don't understand this one... Why spend a small fortune on a multitude of great razors then try to milk out a 8 to 20 cent blade for a month? 4 or 5 shaves is as far as I'm willing to go. That's still pennies a shave and I've got at least 400 Astra SP blades and waaaaay more than that of Personna Lab Blues stockpiled for when they (inevitably :cursing:) stop making them in USA. But that's just me, I started hoarding what I like ever since the plandemic. When is the same pair of unwashed underwear or socks for a month challenge? LOL j/k Whatever floats your boats though, good luck with it and have fun! :letterk1:
Yeah, I just don't understand why people reply to a challenge thread, only to tell people the challenge is silly...or whatever.

Anyway, the point of OBiF is to use a single blade brand/model for the month. If you want to use 28 Feathers in February, go for it; just stick with that brand and model.

I'm going to use a single Nacet for the full month, but you do you.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
03) InkStainedWretch
04) Chef455 - Arko-Sharko
11) jason2 - Astra SP
15) wmadoty - Cloud
21) FoolishMortal - Gillette Nacet

Changed to Arko-Sharko, because it's hilarious.

Nay sayers I say it can and will be done. One blade. One soap. One ring to rule bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Top Bottom