What's new

FOURTEENTH ANNUAL One Blade in February Challenge 2023 Edition

OBIF'23 Astra SP (4/28)

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Head/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Charcoal Goods gen 3 handle Cu Level 2 head w/ Astra SP (4/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Margaritas in the Arctic
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
full

9/10

So, I found out the copper hammered handle I got and used yesterday is not the normal Charcoal Goods hammered handle but the magnum. It weighs 104g where the normal hammered handle weighs I think it was 57g. My gen 3 maze handle is 51g.

I'm really happy with the gen 3 everyday setup I got. It seems to be in my goldilocks zone. I really like 3.5" handle length which it is. And I like the razor to be balanced towards the head which it is with a lighter handle.

As for this gen2 copper level2 set with the magnum handle it would fit someone else perfectly too I imagine. It's a beautiful set. The level 2 feels great on my face. I still didn't like it as much on my neck even with the lighter handle.

I didn't cause any new irritation or weepers today. Overall it was a good shave. Next, I think I will try the heavy magnum handle out with the Everyday head.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
One Blade In Fruity February

This morning’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (5)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: warm water face wash with Irish Spring rinsed with warm water followed by a drop of olive oil and more water
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: olive oil

Used a lot of soap and water for my lather. Runny as could be. Used short, shallow strokes with skin stretching and seemed to get nowhere. Went slightly steeper and got the “buttered toast sound” and away the whiskers went. Some of the tougher whiskers are only slightly shaved, but good enough for now.

Sounds like everyone is having fun. I opted out this year, it takes a really bad blade for me to get less than 30 shaves on it, and I'm not up for that this time around. Maybe next year.

I'm currently on shave #65 on an IP Red, for instance, and have not started the second side yet, maybe this week.

Peter

Van Der Hagen ice tempered SS (4)
Gillette ‘Black Beauty’ adjustable, set to 2
Fine Badger
Mitchell’s Wool Fat, bowl lathered
cold water splash

Pretty much the same setup. Only changed the brush and how I lathered. The brush may be my only item I'll change in my setup as I move forward for the next few shaves. I want to keep things as consistent as possible so when I get that inevitable "bad" shave, I will have fewer culprits to the crime.

I have self-identified as a daily shaver (and in a few posts on B&B) but in reality I have been skipping shaves. On day is Relaxed Fit Friday where you can where whatever you want at workplace. Then, on Saturday I take a leisurely mid-day shave. That was today's shave. Plenty of prep time. Two lathers plus touch up, just cause I could.

Outstanding shave.
D363F45C-3F29-421B-9529-613B53052774.jpeg

STILL IN!
AN Orange Week For Fruity February and Shave of the Week Society

PXL_20230203_134134191.jpg

GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

Ariana & Evans L' Orange Verte *
Feather DX *
Feather AC Pro (4) *
Brushworx G5C knot
M&L Orange Blossom
* SWS

I had to adjust this soap quickly to get it good and slick-to the point of it being almost runny. After that it was smooth sailing to a 9.561 (BBS) finish and no irritation.

Fruity February Knock-Knock Joke

Knock-Knock
Who's There?
Orange
Orange
Who?

Knock-Knock
Who's There?
Orange
Orange
Who?

Knock-Knock
Who's There?
Orange
Orange
Who?

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana?

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
One Blade in February Challenge
SV Saturday

IMG_20230204_154354.jpg

Razor: Muhle R89 Rosegold
Blade: Personna Med-Prep(4)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Mink
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary

Tonight for SV Saturday I lathered 70th Anniversary with the Purple Mink, that and the Purple Haze are my favourite brushes for face lathering SV. I prefer a slightly larger knot than my 21mm STF with SV so the 24mm Yaqis are perfect. The shave went so well I had a BBS in just 3 passes and a spritz of Clinique Happy for Men to finish off.

Date05.02.2023
365 days of shaving36/365 (100%)
GRUYERE36/365 (100%)
GRUME February05/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes4
XWTG (2)Cheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTG (2)Cheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyTiger Platinum (5)Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
5/10 (CCS)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

The Tiger is clearly over the top in terms of performance as I need more passes to get the job done. I steered clear from going overly ATG (some in the neck) hence the end result of CCS - which in my book is kind of sub standard (although comfortable and without injuries is always a good thing), but the point of today’s shave was to learn more about the angle or sweet spot for this razor and I did. It’s more neutral than I actually thought or at least with this blade.

What I have learned from past shaves is that it makes a huge difference if I load this blade in a razor that gives good shaves with it from the start - like my Piccolo. I like to believe it sets the bevel of the blade somehow and then it performs. Switching it around in different razors is something this blade handles less well.

More details on this shave and others can be found here in my journal.

Enjoy your Sunday shave!

Last edited:
OBIF'23 Shave # 5
Sunday, 5th Feb'23

Razor: Rockwell Model T Chrome
Blade : Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum black (5)
Brush: Shavemac 2-band silvertip
Soap : Cella red kilo block
After Shave: Dickinson Rose Witchhazel.

A great 2 pass Sunday shave on setting 3. I prefer the 3 setting as a good balance of minimal blade feel and efficiency. It doesn't take a layer off the skin nor give a 5 O'clock shadow. Good every day shave setting.

I replaced the Zenith boar with a Shavemac 2-band silvertip. Wonderful 27 something mm knot, uber soft and produced excellent well hydrated Cella lather.

20230205_124947.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (6)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by about two minutes waterboarding
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: olive oil

Nothing says my prep was off like benefiting from two shaves in the same day. Having a hot shower and waterboarding before lathering allowed me to use design-shallow strokes with skin stretching or excessive touch ups. Even the upper lip; raw from tissue use; was easily and gently shaved.

The immediate post-shave feel reminds me of the RazoRock Super Slant Lvl 3 only with a lighter razor and more expensive blade.

Top Bottom