What's new

FOURTEENTH ANNUAL One Blade in February Challenge 2023 Edition

STILL IN GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF
Today is also Muhle Monday.

PXL_20230205_155102038.jpg

UPDATE for SWS:
The Ariana & Evans L' Orange Verte soap seems to be causing some burning and stinging issues. This is the 2nd soap in my collection that doesn't suit my skin. I am switching to the Proraso Azur Lime for the remainder of the week.

Feather DX
Feather AC Pro (6)
Muhle XL STF
Proraso Azur Lime

It is interesting that the tube of Proraso shows a picture of a straight razor and uses the words "single blade". What I say is this is a slick and fragrant lather and my face doesn't have any sensitivity issues. DFS+ today.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Van Der Hagen ice tempered SS (5)
Gillette ‘Black Beauty’ adjustable, set to 4
Vie Long Horse
Mitchell’s Wool Fat, face lathered
Clubman Pinaud Reserve Brandy Spice after shave

Two days growth having skipped Sunday's shave. Only two changes...the blade setting adjustment set to 4 and new splash.

The increase was almost to my peril. I believe my beloved first razor ever has been whacked awry. For over thirty years of its use, I knew nothing about caring for a razor. Years of tumbling around my travel ditty bag, getting knocked off sinks and shelves, I shouldn't be surprised the alignment is off.

Time for elevation to bathroom decor, or refurbishment.

I have another Black Beauty (3 actually) that I'll be shaving with tomorrow, a P-2, and if the OG is misaligned, it should be fairly noticeable.

PS -- The shave, except for the ongoing chin weeper issue, was close. Blade has performed admirably with the extra day's growth.

STILL IN GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF
Today is also Muhle Monday.

PXL_20230205_155102038.jpg

UPDATE for SWS:
The Ariana & Evans L' Orange Verte soap seems to be causing some burning and stinging issues. This is the 2nd soap in my collection that doesn't suit my skin. I am switching to the Proraso Azur Lime for the remainder of the week.

Feather DX
Feather AC Pro (6)
Muhle XL STF
Proraso Azur Lime

It is interesting that the tube of Proraso shows a picture of a straight razor and uses the words "single blade". What I say is this is a slick and fragrant lather and my face doesn't have any sensitivity issues. DFS+ today.

Please take care of yourself and each other.
Proraso is always a good bet for when you need a soap or cream that is benign on the skin. I get a little bit of heat/burn from most soaps, particularly artisan soaps (even the unscented stuff) so it's nice to have something that works as well as Proraso.

06FEB23
Four days stubble.

Preshave: Warm Shower
Brush: M&F Heritage II Hybrid Bicolor L7
Bowl: Face Lathered
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Razor: PAA The Artifact
Blade: Vintage Perma-Sharp Sheffield Super Stainless (2)
Splash: Sanponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver +frag
2 pass shave. Face is as close as it gets. Neck is DFS territory. I reopened a few red spots, but, alum beat them down.
9.7 DFS+

The Artifact is an ingenious little razor. The water in the base plate gimmick really works. I think it will fulfill it’s purpose as a travel razor quite well. It is a shame about the ridiculously large carry case. I have a Spearhead mil replica case that works just fine. Very comfortable and close shave. The Sheffield Super Stainless is a really great blade as are all of the vintage blades I have tried. I am quite pleased with the first run with the Artifact. I use Desert Vetiver in the bath sometimes. I looked in the boxes, but, only found the splash and frag. Good enough. I smell amazing.

That is a surprisingly good razor, isn't it?
I have had one for several years now and still do not believe how well it shaves. I have razors I have spent a lot more money on that do not do nearly as well. I think Gillette knocked it out of the inexpensive park with this razor. I think they are too good to be stocked in stores in America. Wonderful razor at any price and a must have for under $4.00.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
One Blade in February Challenge
IMG_20230206_154733.jpg

Razor: Muhle R89 Rosegold
Blade: Personna Med-Prep(6)
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF
Soap: MdC Original

Tonight my lather was provided by the MdC/Kosmo combination that I love so much. It never lets me down and is just such a pleasure to use that I always look forward to Monday. The R89 have a smooth comfortable shave but required a touch-up pass on my neck for the BBS. I was a little overenthusiastic around my mouth and ended up with a weeper, but nothing major. I could nearly write next week's SOTD tonight, I hope I will still be using the R89 and I have not had to switch to the Rocca yet as the longer I use the R89 the longer the blade will last.

Shaves one, two and three. First shave on the earliest Schick, the most aggressive, quite nice a little draggy not the best start.
Shave two; THE GOLDEN BOY Schick short metal knob, great shave buttery smooth
Shave three; the lightest and mildest of the bunch, the real full fledged Krona, another smooth shave.
DSCF1488.JPG
shaves.png

I have had one for several years now and still do not believe how well it shaves. I have razors I have spent a lot more money on that do not do nearly as well. I think Gillette knocked it out of the inexpensive park with this razor. I think they are too good to be stocked in stores in America. Wonderful razor at any price and a must have for under $4.00.

I assume that this is the Gillette Sterling razor (India or China). We get it locally in the Indian market for around 90 cents. Its an amazing razor. I've seen the latest models without the Gillette stamping on it, which make it a bit sore to look at.

Last edited:
Date07.02.2023
365 days of shaving38/365 (100%)
GRUYERE38/365 (100%)
GRUME February07/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3 and touch ups
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (1)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tabac
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A fantastic shave today!! Wonderful. The Timeless disciplined the Tiger into performance and perform it did. Smooth, comfortable, irritation free and best of all as good a BBS as any.

I needed this shave after a number of mediocre ones. I will use the Timeless for the remainder of the week to see where she can take this blade.

More details on today’s shave can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Gillette Perma-Sharp (7th use)

Got a little "lather lazy" for my 2nd pass so the blade tugged a wee bit here & there. However, no irritation or feedback was revealed by the Proraso Red aftershave 👍

I normally bin a blade at this point in its life so now the challenge really begins. The question is, am I brave enough to stick with the R41 for tomorrow's shave...?

IMG_20230205_213955316~2.jpg

OBIF'23 Astra SP (7/28)

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Head/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - '49/'50 Executive w/ Astra SP (7/28)
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Aqua Velva
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
full

10/10

It's hard to have a bad shave with this razor. I had to use it after using the Charcoal goods everyday. The executive has a bit more blade feel but just as smooth to shave with as the everyday. I may need to be more careful on the neck but the executive is more efficient. My alum stick also tells me less irritation. Though I feel none or minor with both razors while shaving and after I do get some feedback from an alum stick. I get even less feed back with the Executive vs the everyday.

So, '49/'50 Executive still my non-adjustable champ but barely.

Super-max Diamond Edge Super Platinum (7)

Razorock MJ-90A (DE89-inspired milled razor)
Arko-Lavender
Cerave

Today was interesting. The hot water heater sprung a leak directly over the igniter, so shower/shave temps were a brisk 85 deg. I showered quickly and shaved quickly. My longtime best friend (who incidentally owns a plumbing/hvac business) is on his way.

Top Bottom