What's new

Four Years of Gentlemanly Restraint.. What I learned

I completely agree on the synthetic brushes, I have the atomic rocket and it is a lather monster! And PAA just came out with a hybrid synthetic, the green ray! I can’t wait to get my hands on it! But I am also trying to cut my spending, also on the artisan game, I am a sucker for labels and these artisans are crafty all the way around!
6F655A53-1747-44BA-B29C-B6D62B0E11CA.jpeg

I completely agree on the synthetic brushes, I have the atomic rocket and it is a lather monster! And PAA just came out with a hybrid synthetic, the green ray! I can’t wait to get my hands on it! But I am also trying to cut my spending, also on the artisan game, I am a sucker for labels and these artisans are crafty all the way around! View attachment 896933

GREAT LOOKING BRUSH!!

Wow, I just stumbled on this discussion and after being away from B&B for about four years.
I had just finished DR. Harris 3017 after nine long, painful months battling that puck. ( This one stole my will to care about shaving)

I started with a puck of Pre de Provance shortly after that and had opened a wine store. Shaving took a back seat to everything else.

I started only using one razor( My Tradere OC). Like you, my technique got lazy and shaved maybe one-3 times a week. My Plisson turned to crap and my Wilborg knot fell out.

Not long ago I thought I had lost my Tradere at a hotel while gone for a weekend. I went to Pastures to get a new one and walked out with a Blackbird without knowing anything. Before I knew it I came back to B&B to see the thoughts on this razor.

Three days later I found the Tradere.

You know. I am still working on that same puck of
Pre de Provance started in 2014. I sold the wine store and am starting to enjoy shaving again.

All I have to say I am back.

Funny, I 3017'd a MWF puck and several soft soaps, but my DR Harris Windsor and AOS Sandalwood broke me too. Watch out on here, spent $300 since April! Had to stop reading everything for a bit cause I was making more and more purchases. I have added some PAA deodorant which is new to my grooming ritual and I love it.

Ha, I will try to ease back into it.. I still have plenty of everything. I think this will just force me to watch the quality of my shave.

So I guess something else has come about since 2014. Something called a Fixed 4?

I kind of like the idea of picking a razor, brush, blade and soap for a month and sticking with it. Seems less chance of getting board plus a chance to really learn your equipment. Maybe the first week should be devoted to finding which blade works best with which razor.
I know I am not discovering anything new but feel this will help stop getting board or burnt out of my product.

Thoughts?

So I guess something else has come about since 2014. Something called a Fixed 4?

I kind of like the idea of picking a razor, brush, blade and soap for a month and sticking with it. Seems less chance of getting board plus a chance to really learn your equipment. Maybe the first week should be devoted to finding which blade works best with which razor.
I know I am not discovering anything new but feel this will help stop getting board or burnt out of my product.

Thoughts?
There is a Shave of the Week Society in the Clubs and Brotherhoods forum. It basically a fixed 4 for one week at a time. Gives a chance to learn the soap and razor/blade and keep a bit of variety as well. I found switching everything daily didn't allow enough time to get to know a product.

Funny, I 3017'd a MWF puck and several soft soaps, but my DR Harris Windsor and AOS Sandalwood broke me too. Watch out on here, spent $300 since April! Had to stop reading everything for a bit cause I was making more and more purchases. I have added some PAA deodorant which is new to my grooming ritual and I love it.
I'm surprised that we haven't seen you at the BOSC Jerry.

Please press theupload_2018-7-13_19-36-37.pngand at least cast your vote there. :wink2: :letterk1: :laugh:

Top Bottom