What's new

Four-eyed shaving

I’m curious to hear how many folks - if any - shave with their eyeglasses on. I’ve had to wear glasses since time immemorial. That wasn’t really an issue when I was cartridge shaving. I’d shave after a shower and was able to feel with my hands if a piece of face needed another swipe. With my first three sessions using a shavette (soon to be straight razor, once it arrives) I started putting my glasses on to make sure my blade angle isn’t totally out of whack before the blade hits my face. I can imagine that once I’ve got a few more dozen (hundreds?) shaves in I’ll (maybe?) be able to have the muscle memory in place to forgo the glasses - is that everyone else’s experience? Flying blind - or at least extremely near sighted is a reachable goal?

Otherwise, so far the shavette’s been good to me. Knicks have been almost entirely under the schnoz - still working to pull the nose up and away enough to clear the blade. The first shave was too close and caused razor burn in some spots. The second and third have been much better as I’ve gradually alleviated the pressure and kept the skin as taught as possible - still trying to master the upper lip/nose region. Reading that it’s better to have a distance of 1-2x of the spine away from the face was better for me than trying to visualize “30 degrees.” Looking forward to when the SR gets here. This is mentally a lot more addictive than cartridge shaving.

In the summer I do. In the winter if I am up early and don't want to disturb my wife, there is no point in the dark with the lights off.

Started wearing reading glasses about 5 years ago, and yes it's not easy to see precisely where you place the razor without them, but I can't think it will be an option to shave with them on.

The other problem I have when shaving is that the depth perception is not great, because you can only really use one eye at a time. This has caused me to nick my ear once, but I am a quick learner when there is some pain and blood involved so I am more careful with that stroke now.

I have been using shavettes and straights for about two years now so I estimate at least 600 shaves, but I wouldn't dare shaving like I used to in the old days with a cartridge razor, standing under the shower with no mirror, shaving by touch only.

As far as under the nose go - the technique is to go in at 90 degrees under the nose until you lightly touch, and then rotating the razor down away from your nose in a scraping motion. I actually touch my nose with the spine and lever away in the rotating motion. Second pass I will come in with the point horizontally, and use small buffing motions, obviously very carefully.

I shave with my glasses on, but primarily to keep soap out of my eyes if I get a little crazy with my brush. I almost always get some lather on the rim of my glasses.

I always wear glasses when I shave. I guess I could shave in total dark with a Harry's cartridge razor and a can of Proraso foam, but that doesn't happen very often. So... better to have my glasses on.

I've been wearing reading glasses for around ten years (currently 2.5 diopters). I take them off for the first WTG pass, leave them off for the second XTG/ATG pass, and put them on for touch-ups around my moustache and chin area and to see if I've missed any other spots.

Wear them to verify correct alignment of blade in some razors.
Use them when I venture into shavette
Do not wear for shaving otherwise

I’ve been wearing tri-focals for ~25 years. If I don’t wear them, I can’t see well enough to shave (or do much anything). If I am nor sleeping or in the shower, I have them on.

I don’t wear my glasses. I use my vision to bring the edge to the location I want on my face, then the rest of the feedback I need is by feel. I use feather artist club everyday. At this point, the edge angle, pressure, and where I am shaving is all done by feeling it.

I don’t wear my glasses. I use my vision to bring the edge to the location I want on my face, then the rest of the feedback I need is by feel. I use feather artist club everyday. At this point, the edge angle, pressure, and where I am shaving is all done by feeling it.
Living the dream!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Not much of a choice i’m Almost blind whit out them, i do have side burn so it’s not a problem to shave whit them.

Iv Woden glasses since the age of 3 I’m 25 atm and I sr de shave no problem I don’t like shavetts bad experience but I shave with my glasses

I lather without, then do the sideburn areas, wipe with a washcloth and put them on for the rest. Rinse, lather, repeat ATG.

Made my fifth shave this evening and things are getting better. No nicks. Pretty much aces on the cheeks and getting a sense of muscle memory. Still a little fumbly on the chin/lips area, and still deciding if I want to use one or two hands. Did a full WTG pass with the straight, switched to my Gillette SuperSpeed for an ATG to save on time. Nice and smooth.

Two new things I’m learning - using my skin tightening hand/arm to move my glasses up slightly to prevent jostling with the scales. That actually led to my discovering that I can start…just a little…to go by “feel” of the blade on my skin, at least on the cheeks and neck. That was nice.

download.jpeg

Top Bottom