What's new

Fountain pen with dip pen nib characteristics

I searched for info everywhere I could think of and came up blank. I’m assuming the answer to my question will be no but I’ll try anyway.

I am looking for a fountain pen with dip pen nib characteristics. It’s just for sketching. I would like to cap it and pack it when it’s time to leave.

Is there something like this somewhere out there?

Do you mean a flexible nib so you can add pressure and get a wider line? The Montblanc 146 Calligraphy Flex model has a very good flex nib and Scribo does too (just select the flex nib on any of their pens - available in all sizes). Pilot has their ‘Falcon’ nib available on a few of their pens, which some find works decently for this as well. A lot of older vintage pens had flexible nibs if you search for them, but be wary of eBay sellers who will claim this and actually are just forcing an unsuitable pen to do this and damaging the nib.

Be careful, though. If you abuse these nibs they can become damaged. They are never going to be exactly like a calligraphy nib. But if you treat them gently they can be a lot of fun.

The curse of those damned German IPG nibs strikes again! (Sorry, your post triggered me.)

You'll not find a fountain pen out there that has a stock nib that can even approach that of a dip pen. However, Japanese pens (NOT Chinese or "Asian" pens mind you)would come closest. They run considerably smaller, usually by 1 size: Japanes F = Western XF. VERY few if any custom and commercial pen companies actually dress the nibs they use, usually just plugging a stock IPG nib unit (Bock or Jowo etc.) into their threaded section. The highest end pen companies claim to but they really don't. So a custom grind would probably the best option. You might get lucky with a vintage pen too - there were some good nibs available for the old Esterbrooks, and they're still out there in relative abundance. I've found a few pens from the 30s and 40s that offer flex and good, crisp lines. And they haven't been expensive either. Try the Fountain pen recycler.

Another option would be a Desiderata pen. They have a couple of eye-dropper fill models specifically intended to take Zebra dip nibs. This would be a great option but for the lack of tipping on dip nibs which means less longevity and need for more regular nib maintenance.

Good luck!

The curse of those damned German IPG nibs strikes again! (Sorry, your post triggered me.)

You'll not find a fountain pen out there that has a stock nib that can even approach that of a dip pen. However, Japanese pens (NOT Chinese or "Asian" pens mind you)would come closest. They run considerably smaller, usually by 1 size: Japanes F = Western XF. VERY few if any custom and commercial pen companies actually dress the nibs they use, usually just plugging a stock IPG nib unit (Bock or Jowo etc.) into their threaded section. The highest end pen companies claim to but they really don't. So a custom grind would probably the best option. You might get lucky with a vintage pen too - there were some good nibs available for the old Esterbrooks, and they're still out there in relative abundance. I've found a few pens from the 30s and 40s that offer flex and good, crisp lines. And they haven't been expensive either. Try the Fountain pen recycler.

Another option would be a Desiderata pen. They have a couple of eye-dropper fill models specifically intended to take Zebra dip nibs. This would be a great option but for the lack of tipping on dip nibs which means less longevity and need for more regular nib maintenance.

Good luck!
Thanks. Looks like there are a couple possible options I can explore. I appreciate the help folks.

Those look like great options for retrofitting nib units into name brand pens. Glad to learn of them myself - I've been away from FPs for a while now. One thing I would caution though, is to be mindful of the nib length with regard to cap head room.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
If you’re interested in the Pilot FA nib, I reviewed mine here: ...in which Tankerjohn reviews the Pilot Custom 912 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/in-which-tankerjohn-reviews-the-pilot-custom-912.608964/

Here’s the money shot for the nib flexibility.
3183091A-78D0-453B-8E62-83F5B6EFAB28.jpeg

I think it’s pretty capable, but not a true calligraphy nib.

Top Bottom