What's new

found the right angle but why is this happening

ok so i found the right angle for shaving. i get no tugging but i do get more small cuts when i dont even realise ive cut myself and more irritation. too much pressure? the blade is def sharp

DC
Pressure is not a bad theory. You need none. That's easy to understand, but it takes time and experience to transfer that knowledge to your hands. Took me a while to get there.
To much pressure is probably the cause of most nicks and irritation. The way I personally avoid too much pressure is by gripping the razor handle near the end, and more or less leaning the razor against my skin.
But however you go about it, allowing the weight of the razor to do the work should greatly improve your shave. I hope this helps. 😉

I still find it tedious to shave with ultra sharp edges. Maybe it helps to use a use a more forgiving edge.
Shave with confidence and less hesitation. I know this is easier said then done.
If you have not tried a coticule edge yet I think you would be amazed. Feels lite a butter knife, but is still able to cut really well.

Sharp enough is sharp enough. Wicked sharp does nothing for me, except increase the amount of attention needed during a shave. This is exactly why I finish on ceramic instead of synthetics. One bad move or lack of attention is an invitation to razor burn or nicks with an uber sharp blade.

You didn't say what kind of cuts. A tip will slice you lengthways. If you are getting cuts parallel to the ground like the edge is cutting in then it's possible you are not being aggressive enough. When the razor touches the skin it needs to be moving. Any time you put the blade to your face and do not move you are taking a chance on cutting skin. If your shakey then moving at all times helps that too. Buffing can help you to learn if you are not confident enough to make long passes yet.

Pressure is the biggest problem with new guys. Don't think if you use more pressure you're going to get a closer shave.

Shave the lather! Keep the blade moving!

When the razor touches the skin it needs to be moving.
Common mistake with new SR shavers is to place the razor touching the skin carefully and then start the stroke. A stationary blade displaces the lather that is supposed to buffer and lubricate, increasing the potential for a pressure cut.
Better approach is to hover without touching, start the stroke, then make contact. Most shavers learn this without thinking about it, but pointing it out helps.

Sounds like too much pressure. Try playing with angle and making your lather thicker or thinner. If this doesn't help, try another shave ready razor from another source to rule out any issues that the razor itself may have.

Such a learning curve with straights, practice practice practice is the key, I, like some others have said, do not like a overly sharpened blade, but getting the edge that suits you is just another learning curve, you will get there.

Top Bottom