What's new

Found the Fat

I just tried MWF for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised. My shave was so nice I didn't even feel like I needed to apply an aftershave, but I still pulled out the AV Green :biggrin:

Man, it was really nice, and it lathered like an absolute dream without any problem. Yet another soap moves in front of Tabac in my rotation :w00t:

I just tried MWF for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised. My shave was so nice I didn't even feel like I needed to apply an aftershave, but I still pulled out the AV Green :biggrin:

Man, it was really nice, and it lathered like an absolute dream without any problem. Yet another soap moves in front of Tabac in my rotation :w00t:

Congrats, Paul. I'm going to go bold and buy a tub despite minor issues with lathering the sample I received (thanks again, Bong!). What other soap(s) moved in front of Tabac? All tallow?

Congrats, Paul. I'm going to go bold and buy a tub despite minor issues with lathering the sample I received (thanks again, Bong!). What other soap(s) moved in front of Tabac? All tallow?

Harris soaps, GFT soaps, AoS, QED Sandalwood Rose, PC soaps
:001_smile

I'm not a huge fan of Tabac, but I will say it's pretty nice if overrated. It's a bit behind these listed IME.

Actually I think Prairie Creations will be easier to lather than MWF for most people (especially those newer to soaps). Paul however is a vet so I'm sure he could use either quite easily.

I'm a fan of the fat as well! Welcome to the club, Paul.

Is MWF really that good? I'm tried Susie's bubbles - not much slip, mama bears - like the scents and shave, VDH - a decent cheapy and clean scent, Willams is passable in a pinch. Ogalla bay rum + sandalwood is a great soap for the price. Where does MWF fall in the above array?

Is MWF really that good? I'm tried Susie's bubbles - not much slip, mama bears - like the scents and shave, VDH - a decent cheapy and clean scent, Willams is passable in a pinch. Ogalla bay rum + sandalwood is a great soap for the price. Where does MWF fall in the above array?

Highly superior. I've used all of those except the Ogalla and those types of soaps just can't compete with a good tallow let alone one loaded with lanolin. Tallow soaps rock.

Hmmmmmmm? I wonder where you got that puck from. LOL. I'm glad you liked it. I still have a refill for myself.

Tony

I guess I'll need to break down and order a puck in one of my future orders...which must be on hold for a while (SWMBO maybe catching on to the growing size of shaving goods......).

Somewhat off topic, but MWF relalated.

I always wondered why MWF had a reputation for being hard to lather, but learned something last night.

If you have experience with softened water you will know that it feels slipperier than hard water when showering. Well, last night my water didn't feel slippery! Sure enough, the water softener's display claimed that its capacity had been exceeded and that the water wasn't being softened.

I'll skip the long story of how things got that messed up.

OK, short version: Toilet ran w/o stop for a day. There's more to it but that 's enough for this post.

When I shaved with that hard water I had great difficulty getting a lather up to the standards I had become accustomed to! So, soaps really do lather better with soft water and perhaps MWF is unusually sensitive to this. Maybe no built-in softening agents.

Eventually I got a decent lather and got a shave as good as my usual but it took some work and the lather never did get as nice as I am used to.

That's interesting. I need a water softener, if it can get any better than this :w00t:

A water softener will eventually pay for itself.

Clothes last longer (don't get ground up as much in the washer).

But the BIG advantage is your pipes and water heater. Hard water will eventually clog these up. It is inevitable and just a matter of time, depending on how hard your water is. Even before the pipes are clogged to a significant amount, the rough scale degrades the flow so you end up with less pressure at the faucets.

Supposedly the new-fangled plastic pipes (PEX) prevent hard-water scale buildup.

Highly superior. I've used all of those except the Ogalla and those types of soaps just can't compete with a good tallow let alone one loaded with lanolin. Tallow soaps rock.
+1 MWF was my baseline and everything else I found to be below it except for Prairie Creations.

Before I moved to SoCal I had very soft water and MWF was almost idiot proof to lather. Now that I have rock hard water, it can be quite tricky to the point of getting schizophrenic lather; one day gobs of thick, cushiony lather, other days thin, weak lather.
Perhaps I have just become an idiot, but I find it easier to blame the water :tongue:

Top Bottom