What's new

Found some handles I made

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
With all the time on my hands I found these handles I made at my Dad's house a few years ago. I found a couple of lilac logs on his property and started turning away at about 10 in the morning. By 4 in the afternoon I had a pile a fanciful handles. Never has time passed so quickly for me in my entire life. I had spent the entire time in 'flow', discovering a side to my creativity that I never knew existed. I am in my 50's and the only previous experience I had on a lathe was grade 7 shop class. I did not get a chance to finish them but I think I'll try and get a hold of a lathe of my own and trim them out and deepen the holes. I would be interested in what people think. To me they seem a little unusual but obviously in a way that I like because that's what flowed out of me!

View attachment 1086134 View attachment 1086135 View attachment 1086136
With all the time on my hands I found these handles I made at my Dad's house a few years ago. I found a couple of lilac logs on his property and started turning away at about 10 in the morning. By 4 in the afternoon I had a pile a fanciful handles. Never has time passed so quickly for me in my entire life. I had spent the entire time in 'flow', discovering a side to my creativity that I never knew existed. I am in my 50's and the only previous experience I had on a lathe was grade 7 shop class. I did not get a chance to finish them but I think I'll try and get a hold of a lathe of my own and trim them out and deepen the holes. I would be interested in what people think. To me they seem a little unusual but obviously in a way that I like because that's what flowed out of me!
+1 - just awesome and unique handles!
Very nice wood.[emoji106]
If you ever make too many just give me a heads up - I'd love to have one to finish.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good looking handles. Some interesting shapes there. Will be interested to see them with a knot ready to assemble.

Some very interesting looking handles. They look like they would be comfortable in the hand and although different they are nice looking. Lilac certainly is a beautiful wood.

What knots do you plan on getting?

I have a small cache of knots mostly 22 and 24 inch best badger and some silver tip, some fan, some bulb. Also some cheap black badger that look cool but lack density. Personally I have always loved the two-band fans but don't seem to have any of those. I guess my next step is to deepen the cavities and see which combinations look the most aesthetic. I was thinking about ajkel64's comment last night, realizing that when I turned the handles, I was only thinking of the shape of the handle and not how the shape of the handle would work with the shape of the completed brush.

Top Bottom