What's new

Found some Gillettes in the closet

I was looking for something in my master closet and underneath some items, I found some dirty old Gillettes that I had purchased at a flea market a few years ago that I had forgotten about. Theywere nesty with that old brown soap scum that had petrified to them. I soaked them in dish water for a few hours, then scrubbed, then soaked and also used Scrubbin' Bubbles bathroom cleaner. The Black Beauties cleaned up very nicely but the '40s Super Speed will need another session. It is still clogged with gunk.

From left to right - S4 1974, late '70s (1978-1980), mid '80s. The Super Speed is from the late '40s and the TTO knob drops :blue:

20200319_180846.jpg

Very nice. I like the knurl pattern on the late models (80s), but not a big fan of the plastic bottom. How does that shave?

I read someone did a little comparison with super speeds and his opinion was the later models were more aggressive than prior models. Wondering if that filtered through to the Super Adjustable.

Very nice. I like the knurl pattern on the late models (80s), but not a big fan of the plastic bottom. How does that shave?

I read someone did a little comparison with super speeds and his opinion was the later models were more aggressive than prior models. Wondering if that filtered through to the Super Adjustable.

I have never used a Super Adjustable before. I have heard that they are a little more aggressive, per setting, than the Slim. I will try one of mine in the future. I also have a couple of short handle Super Adjustables.

The Black Beauty Super 109 adjustables all shave the same regardless of production year and yes they are more aggressive for each equivalent setting when compared against a Slim adjustable same as the Super 84 vs. a Slim. The Super 109 is also more aggressive for each equivalent setting setting than the shorter handle Super 84.

Here are some retail examples to see where the Super 84 and 109 designations originate from.
SA109-Cased-01.jpgSA84-Cased-P2.jpg

I have never used a Super Adjustable before. I have heard that they are a little more aggressive, per setting, than the Slim. I will try one of mine in the future. I also have a couple of short handle Super Adjustables.

The Super 84 is my favorite of the Gillette adjustables. Great razor!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Well done. I am finding things that I bought years ago all the time. Trouble is there is nothing Shave related at the moment. Thanks for sharing those “beauties” with us.

Well that would make my day! These are my favorite Gillette razors. Both long and short black beauties are awesome and the old school super speeds just never disappoint.

I like these better than fat boys and slims. You have a good find there.

The Black Beauty Super 109 adjustables all shave the same regardless of production year and yes they are more aggressive for each equivalent setting when compared against a Slim adjustable same as the Super 84 vs. a Slim. The Super 109 is also more aggressive for each equivalent setting setting than the shorter handle Super 84.

Here are some retail examples to see where the Super 84 and 109 designations originate from.
View attachment 1076216View attachment 1076217

feck me even back then Gillette new how to over price $195 feck I thought the fusion was bad ..lol
SA109-Cased-01.jpg

I was looking for something in my master closet and underneath some items, I found some dirty old Gillettes that I had purchased at a flea market a few years ago that I had forgotten about. Theywere nesty with that old brown soap scum that had petrified to them. I soaked them in dish water for a few hours, then scrubbed, then soaked and also used Scrubbin' Bubbles bathroom cleaner. The Black Beauties cleaned up very nicely but the '40s Super Speed will need another session. It is still clogged with gunk.

From left to right - S4 1974, late '70s (1978-1980), mid '80s. The Super Speed is from the late '40s and the TTO knob drops :blue:

View attachment 1076182

Great clean up!!

As LOTH here says, ‘Shopping in the closet is the way to go!’

Yes, you can save $$ ‘traditional‘ wet shaving!! :a29: :a29:

I've got 109's and an 84 & they shave differently than my Slims. The Slims use a variety of blades for great shaves, but the Rapira LUX isn't one of them. OTOH, the LUX gives awesome shaves with my 109's & 84.

feck me even back then Gillette new how to over price $195 feck I thought the fusion was bad ..lolView attachment 1076359

I want to find out who would pay almost $200 for that. 😄

Seriously, that’s around $12 or $13 for a solidly constructed metal product manufactured and assembled in the US. It’s not a plastic molded object made in China. If you could buy a new all metal adjustable DE razor for $13, wouldn’t you?

I just paid that much for a Qshave and, having used it a few times now, it’s not half the razor that that Gillette is. Plus it was made by people making a middle class living in America.

Top Bottom