What's new

Found one in the wild.

While out and about today I ran across a Coticule in a local antique, it measures 7x1.75". The only concern is there looks to be a crack in the stone, of course this wasn't visible until it was cleaned and lapped. Now; running a razor across it plus my finger nail across it it can not be felt. I had my wife do the same, long finger nails, and she couldn't feel it either.

Should this still be stabilized in some way or would I be better off cutting it at the crack and make a slurry stone from the short part?

This is the first time I've found a decent hone while out hunting :thumbup:

Attachments

• $P1000535.jpg
    $P1000535.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 179
  • $P1000536.jpg
    $P1000536.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 182
  • $P1000537.jpg
    $P1000537.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it if you can't feel it, but that's just me. If it makes you feel better, you can use some super glue along the crack, then re-lap, but if you can't feel it, it's not that likely that it will wick in very far. I wouldn't cut it, one that long is a long shot to find in the wild, and it would be a shame to see it cut down. Very nice stone by the way! I wouldn't mind finding a coti, but have not yet.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'll most likely ca the crack just to insure it stays in good shape.

Pics of it wet, it shows the pattern of the grain much better.

Attachments

• $P1000544.jpg
    $P1000544.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 168
  • $P1000548.jpg
    $P1000548.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 169
More stones huh! Nice looking coit. If you can't feel the crack with a fingernail it you can probably hone over it just fine. If you are unsure, you can do a few passes over the crack with a freshly honed razor and see if you can see any chipping using a loup.
This is how I discovered one of my Jnats had a toxic line that needed to be gouged out.

I did touch up a razor with this stone, I couldn't feel it at all. Well, it wasn't a planed purchase just kind of found it :001_tt2:

Wow wish I could find one in GA the pattern on it is nice. When you get it CA'ed or just tested let us know how she hones.

I did a touch up using this stone today and a shave right after. The razor was already a shave ready razor so what I did was, I did 2 sets of 30 half strokes and 100 x strokes 60/70 linen leather. Using hht it did quite well with a 3 off the stone and I'd say a 4 after stropping. The shave was very comfortable but yet very keen, a bit more than my La Veinette but just as comfortable.

It didn't release a drop of slurry and felt like a very hard stone. I'll try a diluticot with it and see if it's up to the task or just a finisher.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you can't feel it with finger, nail, or razor, and you seem to get a good edge on the stone, then keep using it as is. Be careful with the stone, that you don't cause the two parts don't shift in relationship to each other. As long as the two parts lay flat and true, you should be able to hone just fine.

Plenty of guys hone on small coticules. Big ones can be expensive. But my preference is a big stone, or better yet, lapping film. Just do it like you feel it. But at some point you owe it to yourself to give film a chance.

Plenty of guys hone on small coticules. Big ones can be expensive. But my preference is a big stone, or better yet, lapping film. Just do it like you feel it. But at some point you owe it to yourself to give film a chance.

He already has mentioned at least once before having lapping films, including tonight in a thread you posted in too, although I'm not sure of the relevance in this thread. I'm not sure why you seem to mention them every time you post these days...

Jared is right, I have more film, and use them, than I could possibly ever use in my lifetime.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Jared is right, I have more film, and use them, than I could possibly ever use in my lifetime.

That's what happens when I don't pay attention!

If I found that one in the wild, I would have to use it once in a while, too.

I like the pattern on that one!

I've had my eye out for hones for a long time but yet to score one in the wild yet.

Top Bottom