What's new

found odd retractable point pen

Hi

Picked up an older retractable point fountain pen from the thrift store yesterday. It seems to be nicely made of anodized aluminum. The nib itself looks to be gold, or gold plated and possibly shaped similar to the nib in a Parker 51. The pen itself is reminiscent of an Eversharp Skyline.

It took me a while, but i figured out how to take it apart and inside, it had a little round paper that says A. N. Andrews' / of 4th Dimension/ TM / PAT USA/ L.A. CAL. I guess the paper, and the writing, is supposed to be seen through the clear dome in the top of the pen.

I found out only that Anatol Andrews trademarked it in '46, or something like that. I have not found any other reference to the pen.

It looks complete, but the rubber parts, one of which is the rubber that seals off the pen when retracted, are all hardened. Not having any reference, i am not sure about how things are supposed to work in it.

Any ideas? Any info about this pen?

cheers

joe

$IMG_0028.jpg
$IMG_0031.jpg
$IMG_0040.jpg
$IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That is a new one on me, like you say it's really an odd pen. Is there a door at the end to keep the nib from drying out or dribbling ink while retrated in the pocket? I'd be interested to see the ink feed under the nib, too.

It is also amazing, the shape similatity to the Skyline! Nice pick up, congrats.

That's interesting. Never seen one like it though & poking at it with the Google stick doesn't seem to turn up much for me. Definitely one to hit up FPN with. Someone on that end may have better info.

Hi Doug

No door at the bottom, it looks like it had something like a sac, maybe with a slit at bottom so that the nib could open the slit and emerge. I'm just guessing, though, there was a crumpled sac like rubber piece inside keeping the pen from extending very far.

Cheers

Joe

Striking resemblance to modern pin point oilers. I was going to break down how these work, but it appears your answers will be found in that magazine article cited. Similar in design maybe, but a differently operated action (in reverse?).
This using compression of the top cap button to allow flow, and your pen, using the tip end cap installed to compress the sprung mechanism stopping flow. Hope you don’t mind me tossing these photos in here. It might help you sort it until you find the article.

FF5E0980-9CE3-415C-B7F3-2CC24C63FB8E.jpeg 1DE504C1-29F7-4385-A596-43DB96CD9672.jpeg

If you can find the May/June 1992 and July/August 1992 issues of Pen World, many of your questions will be delightfully answered.
I'm going to have to try searching out those issues.

Btw, the pen works well, I just need to use a pocket protector. Sitting tip down in my pocket is a bit scary.

Joe

Top Bottom