What's new

Found My Match: Gillette Silver Blue

It's hard to argue with the GSB, which usually occupies the # 1 or # 2 spot in my Top 5. Right now it's # 1.

On any one parameter, it's possible to find a blade that beats it -- Nacets are sharper, Polsilvers longer lasting and a bit more forgiving, and so on -- but in looking at the overall package, the GSB pulls everything together into a superior offering that's at least an A- on everything that matters in a razor blade, while not being overly expensive either.

The 7 O'Clock Yellow and Platinum are imho close cousins to the GSB so they're worthy of mention. I find the Yellow a bit sharper than GSB's but also a little less forgiving. The Platinums are so damn close to GSBs that one could be forgiven for not being able to tell the difference at all. The Platinums are a little less sharp but considerably smoother on my face than a GSB. But when you add it all up, the GSB has the perfect balance of sharp, smooth, comfortable, forgiving, and affordable.

I love GSB and pol silver. I didn't like Nacet but that changed. I can ride a GSB or pol silver for many shaves.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think I'll break out my GSB and see how it goes for shave number 45. Or 44. Can't remember, lol.

Still on my first one (8 shaves) and find it very comparable to my favorite, Astra SP. A very nice combo of sharpness and smoothness from the first shave.

After trying multiple blades in a sampler pack, I’ve settled on the blade that works for me. Gillette Silver Blue. This blade cuts cleanly but doesn’t nick up my face with the Van Der Hagen razor. Anyone else like the Gillette Silver Blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shave with one of those this morning in a Gillette Tech. It seems to be a decent middle-of-the-road blade.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It's hard to argue with the GSB, which usually occupies the # 1 or # 2 spot in my Top 5. Right now it's # 1.

On any one parameter, it's possible to find a blade that beats it -- Nacets are sharper, Polsilvers longer lasting and a bit more forgiving, and so on -- but in looking at the overall package, the GSB pulls everything together into a superior offering that's at least an A- on everything that matters in a razor blade, while not being overly expensive either.

The 7 O'Clock Yellow and Platinum are imho close cousins to the GSB so they're worthy of mention. I find the Yellow a bit sharper than GSB's but also a little less forgiving. The Platinums are so damn close to GSBs that one could be forgiven for not being able to tell the difference at all. The Platinums are a little less sharp but considerably smoother on my face than a GSB. But when you add it all up, the GSB has the perfect balance of sharp, smooth, comfortable, forgiving, and affordable.

This is close to my experience as well. I don’t find the Yellows any sharper than the GSB out of the gate, but the GSB is a bit more comfortable about it. The GSB is probably the most comfortable blade in the PPI stable.

Another one in that higher comfort tier: on my face, the German Wilkie is an equally comfortable and longer lasting competitor to the GSB. But it is priced a little too rich for the difference, and I prefer just a touch more sharpness.

The Wisasilver hits the perfect balance for me: longer legs than the GSB, priced a bit less than the Edgewell Sword, and as sharp and comfortable as either of them.

I ordered 100 GSB blades, and they should arrive on Wednesday. I'll see how I like them compared to Nacet. The Nacet blades are very sharp yet smooth to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When starting out, I went through a blade sampler like the OP. GSBs were my favorite and my first 100 blade purchase.

Now I have about 6 favorites, which always include GSBs.

FarmerTan

I ordered 100 GSB blades, and they should arrive on Wednesday. I'll see how I like them compared to Nacet. The Nacet blades are very sharp yet smooth to me.

I like to say that GSB is my favorite, but now I doubt I could tell the difference between those and Astra SS, and Nacet.

I like to say that GSB is my favorite, but now I doubt I could tell the difference between those and Astra SS, and Nacet.
I really can't tell any difference between the GSB, Nacet or Astra SS either. I'm glad all have been great for me.

FarmerTan

I really can't tell any difference between the GSB, Nacet or Astra SS either. I'm glad all have been great for me.

I am actually shocked. I've heard so many people like one of the three or two, that I didn't hold out much hope.

I am surprised that the Astra SP is just not my cup of tea. Not terrible, just... lacking.

I am actually shocked. I've heard so many people like one of the three or two, that I didn't hold out much hope.

I am surprised that the Astra SP is just not my cup of tea. Not terrible, just... lacking.
Astra SP isn't as smooth for me as SS. I'll use the SP blades I have, but I won't buy them again.

I've never understood the GSB/Astra comparison. I used Astras exclusively for over two years. While I think they're a decent enough blade, they're pretty rough and unrefined compared to a GSB, which is a very refined sharp & smooth blade. But as they always say, YMMV!!

Top Bottom