What's new

Found my Holy Grail razor

As some of you know I'm a bit of a single edge fan, especially the 1912 Damaskeenes. The one I've really wanted was an open comb version and I finally found one in excellent shape. Loaded it up with a Gem Blue Star this morning and got an excellent shave, the handle is slightly longer which gives it just a bit different feel.

Now that I've found one, the next thing I need to do is find another as a backup!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Congrats on your find! I am getting pretty much in love with the SE lately. I just whished the blades were more easily available overhere.

Nice! this one seems hard to find.
Is the shave really different from a regular 1912?

Last edited:
Congratulations Tom, Still trying to figure out my holy grail razor. Guess mine will be one straight razor and one DE. Did you find it locally? I might have to go shopping with you sometime.

Tom - congrats but if I am honest with myself...

Well, the first image that came to mind when I saw the name of your thread was a white bunny flying through the air attacking one knight after another and dispatching them with a quick bite to the jugular.:a24:

I cannot seem to beat the shave that I get with my 1912 everready. tech, old type, micromatic. dont even compare. this things just kicks their asses.
I too was just thinking that I should get another as backup. I then started to get nervous that what if the backup that I have yet to get doenst shave as nice as the one I have? oh no ! lol

anyway, yeah, I love my SE 1912 !!!! It cannot be beat !!! I have joined the darkside !

Congrats Tom, now what will happen to the rest of SE's
I too love the vintage looks of my 1912 SE Haven t shaved as the blades are not readily available in my country.
Any body know of a supplier send to Internationally. (and economically too).

Tom,

What differentiates the Damaskeen Gem from other 1912s? If I find another 1912 (there seems to be a fair amount around here), ho would I know if it's a Damaskeen or not?

I've been looking for 1912's every time I go razor hunting. Still haven't found one, but your post definately encourages me to keep trying.

Congrats Tom. Is that a hollow or solid handle?
Shanman's correct, it's hollow for the stropping attachment.
proxy.php

Congratulations Tom, Still trying to figure out my holy grail razor. Guess mine will be one straight razor and one DE. Did you find it locally? I might have to go shopping with you sometime.
Semi locally.:wink2:

Congrats Tom, now what will happen to the rest of SE's
I too love the vintage looks of my 1912 SE Haven t shaved as the blades are not readily available in my country.
Any body know of a supplier send to Internationally. (and economically too).

You might try www.razorbladesandmore.com
He's a vendor here and has a spotless reputation.

Tom,

What differentiates the Damaskeen Gem from other 1912s? If I find another 1912 (there seems to be a fair amount around here), ho would I know if it's a Damaskeen or not?

The Damaskeene models have a round, knurled handle instead of the hexagon shaped handles that the later models have. I personally prefer the looks, and feel, of the round handles.The top plate is also slightly rounded and the blade plate has USE ONLY WITH GEM DAMASKEENE BLADES stamped on them.

Here's some pictures of the four different handle styles I have. The one in the case is in my display at my office so I couldn't put it in the picture with the other three. The only diffference between it and the third one in the picture above it is that the base of the handle is slightly hollowed out and it was made when it was still the Gem Cutlery Company, before they changed the name to the Gem Safety Razor Corporation around 1919. Around 1920 or so is when ASR started making the 1912 with the hexagon shaped handles under the Gem, Star and Ever-Ready names.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

They also made this one with the round top plate that was in the 1925 catalog in a number of different cases, but it lacks the Damaskeene wording on the inside.

proxy.php

Here's an ad from 1919 for the Damaskeene. Hope this helps, Kevin.

proxy.php

Congratulations on your find, HT! Is the open-comb variety more aggressive?

Surprisingly it's not. I was expecting it to be similar to the open comb Micromatic but it's not. If anything it seemed a bit milder to the later Damaskeenes.

Top Bottom